TrueBlueArmy Forums
Fratton Park Capacity - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Fratton Park Capacity (/showthread.php?tid=3247)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Fratton Park Capacity - Cunninglinguist - 03-08-2023

In his last interview,I thought Michael Eisner made perfectly clear what their policy is when Pompey reach the championship. He seemed to have a very clear idea of the challenges ahead.

RE: Fratton Park Capacity - Pompeyg100 - 03-08-2023

(03-08-2023, 07:57 AM)mikey393 Wrote: 25 & 30K is fine. All we need to do now is to get promoted! We've huffed & puffed for the last 6 years & got nowhere. I'm not convinced like a lot of others that our latest "bargain buys" are good enough but only time will tell. I think it will take at least 6 games for them to gel as a team so we all need to be patient. If by some miracle & good management we do manage to go up. ME/AC/RH will need to realise that the Championship is a whole new ball game & they need to be prepared to spend a lot more on recruitment. I'm Not sure they are prepared to do that.

Isn’t getting a bargain a good thing?

What are your concerns with the players we’ve signed?

RE: Fratton Park Capacity - Hammie - 03-08-2023

Spend on recruiting players who will have a resale value. But don't risk the entire future of the club by going for a quick fix. The financial figures for champ clubs are frightening, not just for one club but for almost all of them and their futures.

RE: Fratton Park Capacity - firqdays - 04-08-2023

Exactly Hammie and as I have said previously, thank goodness we have a realist in charge who has looked "over the top" at life in the Championship and made the decision that - when it happens - and we hope soon, that PFC is equipped in all areas.

Primarily in sustainability and financial common sense.

RE: Fratton Park Capacity - mikey393 - 04-08-2023

(03-08-2023, 08:01 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: In his last interview,I thought Michael Eisner made perfectly clear what their policy is when Pompey reach the championship. He seemed to have a very clear idea of the challenges ahead.

Fair enough must have missed that bit but as long as he's fully aware that it will mean a big increase in investment.

RE: Fratton Park Capacity - mikey393 - 04-08-2023

(03-08-2023, 08:19 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:
(03-08-2023, 07:57 AM)mikey393 Wrote: 25 & 30K is fine. All we need to do now is to get promoted! We've huffed & puffed for the last 6 years & got nowhere. I'm not convinced like a lot of others that our latest "bargain buys" are good enough but only time will tell. I think it will take at least 6 games for them to gel as a team so we all need to be patient. If by some miracle & good management we do manage to go up. ME/AC/RH will need to realise that the Championship is a whole new ball game & they need to be prepared to spend a lot more on recruitment. I'm Not sure they are prepared to do that.

Yes, as long as there's some quality there. 

As most were unheard of before we'll need to see how they go before commenting further.

RE: Fratton Park Capacity - Hammie - 04-08-2023

Trouble is online, that far too many enjoy commenting about failure after it happens, even if it is the smallest failure such as failure to take a throw in correctly.
One very positive thing.
With "terraces" making a come back
The old quote about terraces being full of critics who have never done anything or achieved anything can come back into play.

RE: Fratton Park Capacity - Pompeyg100 - 04-08-2023

(04-08-2023, 05:40 PM)mikey393 Wrote:
(03-08-2023, 08:19 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

Yes, as long as there's some quality there. 

As most were unheard of before we'll need to see how they go before commenting further.

Unheard of by who? A good number of them were playing in L1/L2.

RE: Fratton Park Capacity - Pompeyg100 - 04-08-2023

(04-08-2023, 05:43 PM)Hammie Wrote: Trouble is online, that far too many enjoy commenting about failure after it happens, even if it is the smallest failure such as failure to take a throw in correctly.
One very positive thing.
The old quote about terraces being full of critics who have never done anything or achieved anything can come back into play.

The beauty of the terraces wasn’t just the standing, it was that your mate could wade through the crowd, being shoulder to shoulder packed in, increased capacity, moving around if you wanted to.

Safe standing is just standing in the spot where your seat was, don’t really get the point of it to be honest.

When I go to non-league games I’ll stand on the terrace but safe standing isn’t that.

RE: Fratton Park Capacity - HotToddy - 04-08-2023

(04-08-2023, 05:43 PM)Hammie Wrote: Trouble is online, that far too many enjoy commenting about failure after it happens, even if it is the smallest failure such as failure to take a throw in correctly.
One very positive thing.

Okay Hammie, I'll bite. At the time, I was referring to a loan player who was being played out of position at right back. In my view he had a poor game and his throw-ins were schoolboy, emphasising for me his lack of experience in that position. I made those comments because he did not give Raggett any support defensively. Restarts are part of the game. It was a comment on a football forum about a game. By the way, I enjoy reading your posts.

RE: Fratton Park Capacity - Hammie - 04-08-2023

(04-08-2023, 07:08 PM)HotToddy Wrote:
One very positive thing.

Okay Hammie, I'll bite. At the time, I was referring to a loan player who was being played out of position at right back. In my view he had a poor game and his throw-ins were schoolboy, emphasising for me his lack of experience in that position. I made those comments because he did not give Raggett any support defensively. Restarts are part of the game. It was a comment on a football forum about a game. By the way, I enjoy reading your posts.

I wasn't referring to any one poster or post, I hardly ever do that unless tongue in cheek. 
Did you actually refer to a throw in being taken? My memory would not allow me to recall it!
Sorry if you thought I was having a go, it was a far more general comment.

RE: Fratton Park Capacity - HotToddy - 04-08-2023

(04-08-2023, 07:12 PM)Hammie Wrote:
(04-08-2023, 07:08 PM)HotToddy Wrote:
One very positive thing.

I wasn't referring to any one poster or post, I hardly ever do that unless tongue in cheek. 
Did you actually refer to a throw in being taken? My memory would not allow me to recall it!
Sorry if you thought I was having a go, it was a far more general comment.
No worries. No I did not refer to a specific throw-in. They weren't foul throws.

RE: Fratton Park Capacity - Cunninglinguist - 04-08-2023

(04-08-2023, 05:35 PM)mikey393 Wrote:
(03-08-2023, 08:01 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: In his last interview,I thought Michael Eisner made perfectly clear what their policy is when Pompey reach the championship. He seemed to have a very clear idea of the challenges ahead.

Fair enough must have missed that bit but as long as he's fully aware that it will mean a big increase in investment.

I think you need to actually listen to what he had to say, Mikey, before you make any comment. 

A bit like you need to actually watch the team before….

RE: Fratton Park Capacity - D'Alessandro dreaming - 05-08-2023

(03-08-2023, 08:29 AM)Hammie Wrote: Spend on recruiting players who will have a resale value. But don't risk the entire future of the club by going for a quick fix. The financial figures for champ clubs are frightening, not just for one club but for almost all of them and their futures.

I found it absolutely bizarre that people on pompey twitter were calling for us to spend big because of the relative weakness of the league this year compared to last year. There just isn't a financial windfall waiting for us in the championship to justify an enormous splurge on players like Championship clubs chasing promotion have to aim for. I'm not a 'happy clapper', to this day I still think the Eisner's should have spent more in that infamous January 2019 window that still gives me nightmares, but I do generally see the benefits of the strategy. There is little benefit to promotion to the championship if you aren't Championship ready as teams like Wigan, Barnsley and Rotherham have found out many a time.

The disastrous purchases of Ellis Harrison and John Marquis clearly made the owners wary of expensive signings with short term on pitch benefit in mind. To this day buying an injured Bryn Morris still smells dodgy.

Richard Hughes has turned our recruitment around. The first signs were with Towler and Lane in January and then this window has been the best since 15/16 for my money. Not a ragtag cavalcade of loanees and speculative punts. The few speculative punts like Yengi are low risk.

RE: Fratton Park Capacity - Cunninglinguist - 05-08-2023

(05-08-2023, 07:44 AM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote:
(03-08-2023, 08:29 AM)Hammie Wrote: Spend on recruiting players who will have a resale value. But don't risk the entire future of the club by going for a quick fix. The financial figures for champ clubs are frightening, not just for one club but for almost all of them and their futures.

I found it absolutely bizarre that people on pompey twitter were calling for us to spend big because of the relative weakness of the league this year compared to last year. There just isn't a financial windfall waiting for us in the championship to justify an enormous splurge on players like Championship clubs chasing promotion have to aim for. I'm not a 'happy clapper', to this day I still think the Eisner's should have spent more in that infamous January 2019 window that still gives me nightmares, but I do generally see the benefits of the strategy. There is little benefit to promotion to the championship if you aren't Championship ready as teams like Wigan, Barnsley and Rotherham have found out many a time.

The disastrous purchases of Ellis Harrison and John Marquis clearly made the owners wary of expensive signings with short term on pitch benefit in mind. To this day buying an injured Bryn Morris still smells dodgy.

Richard Hughes has turned our recruitment around. The first signs were with Towler and Lane in January and then this window has been the best since 15/16 for my money. Not a ragtag cavalcade of loanees and speculative punts. The few speculative punts like Yengi are low risk.
It makes far more sense to invest in young promising talent that will improve with time and experience. 

Selection of those young players is key. Get it right for most of the intake and we won’t need to spend large amounts. It’ll be interesting to see what percentage of this intake succeed.