TrueBlueArmy Forums
Danny Cowley co-commo on Radio Solent - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Danny Cowley co-commo on Radio Solent (/showthread.php?tid=3324)

Pages: 1 2

Danny Cowley co-commo on Radio Solent - Cressers - 26-08-2023

So excruciating I switched off.

RE: Danny Cowley co-commo on Radio Solent - FiftyYearsOn - 26-08-2023

it's a mix of good on him for agreeing and omg no I can't stand it.

RE: Danny Cowley co-commo on Radio Solent - Daniel - 26-08-2023

He’s like a ex boyfriend that just won’t give up trying to win his ex back!!

RE: Danny Cowley co-commo on Radio Solent - Pompeyg100 - 26-08-2023

Jobless Danny lol

RE: Danny Cowley co-commo on Radio Solent - kindofblue - 26-08-2023

Bit unfair chaps. He was an honest, hardworking manager (if often tactically clueless). His insights today are quite good....

RE: Danny Cowley co-commo on Radio Solent - FiftyYearsOn - 26-08-2023

Indeed.. But very difficult to listen to I find without drifting away.

RE: Danny Cowley co-commo on Radio Solent - Roybatty - 26-08-2023

Such a nice bloke though

(26-08-2023, 03:30 PM)kindofblue Wrote: Bit unfair chaps. He was an honest, hardworking manager (if often tactically clueless). His insights today are quite good....

He was fucking useless and full of shit.

RE: Danny Cowley co-commo on Radio Solent - Hammie - 26-08-2023

All the stand ins make it very clear how good Whitts is.

RE: Danny Cowley co-commo on Radio Solent - D'Alessandro dreaming - 26-08-2023

I like DC. It didn't work here but I still believe he is responsible for opening the eyes of the owners to adopting a more modern structure off the pitch. His problem was he had plan A on the pitch but little else.

RE: Danny Cowley co-commo on Radio Solent - farq2 - 26-08-2023

(26-08-2023, 05:46 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: I like DC. It didn't work here but I still believe he is responsible for opening the eyes of the owners to adopting a more modern structure off the pitch. His problem was he had plan A on the pitch but little else.

Plan A didn't work out that often

To me he looks like a very good option to build the youth and community side at a mid sized club, but not a manager above about league 2.

(26-08-2023, 05:46 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: I like DC. It didn't work here but I still believe he is responsible for opening the eyes of the owners to adopting a more modern structure off the pitch. His problem was he had plan A on the pitch but little else.

Ipads is about the only modern thing he bought to the club.

(26-08-2023, 07:05 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

I think he recognised and pointed out the need to have proper recruitment structure at the club rather than the milwall mafia and Gagliardi. He gets compared unfavourably to Jackett but Jackett got far more heavily backed financially and had a much weaker league one to try and get out of (Fleetwood made the playoffs one year ffs). Just very limited in his on pitch approach and struggled to adapt.

Jackett made that money for himself through cup runs and was given it to spend as has been the case for all the managers the Eisners have appointed.

RE: Danny Cowley co-commo on Radio Solent - BilltheCat - 26-08-2023

(26-08-2023, 07:54 PM)Hammie Wrote: Jackett made that money for himself through cup runs and was given it to spend as has been the case for all the managers the Eisners have appointed.

Is that true?

RE: Danny Cowley co-commo on Radio Solent - 66zoolane - 26-08-2023

(26-08-2023, 07:23 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote:

I think he recognised and pointed out the need to have proper recruitment structure at the club rather than the milwall mafia and Gagliardi. He gets compared unfavourably to Jackett but Jackett got far more heavily backed financially and had a much weaker league one to try and get out of (Fleetwood made the playoffs one year ffs). Just very limited in his on pitch approach and struggled to adapt.

Neither Jackett or Cowley seemed to understand urgency. When your cruising 0-0 to your season dying in the play-offs, Jackett just kept shape and let it die. Cowley, when we were on a run-in desparately needing wins, didn't seem to understand a win and loss offer more points than draws, so played safe.

Draws do us every season! We need to go for wins, and so lose a few. Having said that, we're the only unbeaten side in L1...

Pretty much yes. Might have sold some of Cook's team too?
I think Cowley was the one who went back and asked for more cash to finance the loans.

(26-08-2023, 07:23 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote:

Not sure wasting your budget on loan players is a proper recruitment structure.

Panic loans and going on preseason with no players is not modern or proper.

RE: Danny Cowley co-commo on Radio Solent - slayer - 26-08-2023

Commentating on his successor says it all. Not back in football for a reason. Chancer who got found out.

(26-08-2023, 07:58 PM)Hammie Wrote: Pretty much yes. Might have sold some of Cook's team too?
I think Cowley was the one who went back and asked for more cash to finance the loans.

(26-08-2023, 09:33 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

That's just nonsense I'm afraid, it obviously didn't happeen overnight. In the period you are referencing the structure wasn't in place by any stretch of the imagination. Rich Hughes arrived too late last season to make any impact in the summer window. It was very telling that when Gagliardi nafed off, Cowley's "tribute" to him was very lukewarm. It was a basket case of a club recruitment wise for a few years.

RE: Danny Cowley co-commo on Radio Solent - Pompeyg100 - 27-08-2023

(26-08-2023, 10:46 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote:
(26-08-2023, 07:58 PM)Hammie Wrote: Pretty much yes. Might have sold some of Cook's team too?

That's just nonsense I'm afraid, it obviously didn't happeen overnight. In the period you are referencing the structure wasn't in place by any stretch of the imagination. Rich Hughes arrived too late last season to make any impact in the summer window. It was very telling that when Gagliardi nafed off, Cowley's "tribute" to him was very lukewarm. It was a basket case of a club recruitment wise for a few years.

It’s what happened lol, we started 5 loans players every game and preseason was full of trialists. He spunked so much of his budget on crap loan players which left us in a mess, especially when our keeper got recalled.

I’m sorry but there was no recruitment structure with DC and he actually took us back years leaving us with no squad of our own players.

RE: Danny Cowley co-commo on Radio Solent - D'Alessandro dreaming - 27-08-2023

(27-08-2023, 03:23 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

(26-08-2023, 07:05 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: Ipads is about the only modern thing he bought to the club.

It’s what happened lol, we started 5 loans players every game and preseason was full of trialists. He spunked so much of his budget on crap loan players which left us in a mess, especially when our keeper got recalled.

I’m sorry but there was no recruitment structure with DC and he actually took us back years leaving us with no squad of our own players.

Then reliance on loans was precisely because of the lack of structure in place at the time. Better to suffer for a year with a variety of loanees than to have a load of Gagliardi's flops and crocks on three year deals. Last January and mainly this summer were the first windows for years with a cohesive structure in place and it came too late for Cowley.

RE: Danny Cowley co-commo on Radio Solent - Hammie - 27-08-2023

Hopefully we would all agree that the man problem with the big money loans was that we did not develop season on season, always starting from scratch once more.

At least this season we have started from a very solid team which can hopefully become a little more exciting as we build in the new signings and find which can make a difference in the attacking half.

Talking loans, Kamara and Robertson have shown some flashes of that something extra.

RE: Danny Cowley co-commo on Radio Solent - Pompeyg100 - 27-08-2023

(27-08-2023, 04:02 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote:
(27-08-2023, 03:23 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote:

(26-08-2023, 07:23 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: I think he recognised and pointed out the need to have proper recruitment structure at the club rather than the milwall mafia and Gagliardi. He gets compared unfavourably to Jackett but Jackett got far more heavily backed financially and had a much weaker league one to try and get out of (Fleetwood made the playoffs one year ffs). Just very limited in his on pitch approach and struggled to adapt.

Then reliance on loans was precisely because of the lack of structure in place at the time. Better to suffer for a year with a variety of loanees than to have a load of Gagliardi's flops and crocks on three year deals. Last January and mainly this summer were the first windows for years with a cohesive structure in place and it came too late for Cowley.

But he was told not to rely on loans, but he doesn’t know anything else.

He went on and on about all the hard work he put in to recruitment and as soon as the window closed he was working on the next. It was all lies though.