TrueBlueArmy Forums
Where do we go from here? - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Where do we go from here? (/showthread.php?tid=336)

Where do we go from here? - Rocketman - 10-03-2021

Tonight's performance showed what we all know. We are in crisis, our season is almost certainly over, and there's nothing we can do about it. Astoundingly we are still in a play-off position, but we all know and the club knows, we are nowhere near good enough to go up. Even in the very unlikely event that we somehow squeeze into the play-offs, we all know what will happen. In the even more unlikely event we get to the final, we still aren't likely to succeed. In the totally unlikely event we get promoted, this year's problems will be nothing compared to next year.

The club have made it clear this week that Jacket is here until the end of the season so we might as well accept it. He's a decent man, does not deserve to be abused, but is past his sell-by date for all the reasons we know. We can't really "get behind our club" because there are no crowds. Equally, without our current owners we'd probably have gone into liquidation by now.  So we have to make the best we can. I for one hope we put out a strong team on Saturday and (hopefully) manage a win. At least we'll have something to show for the season because there's certainly nothing else.

For those of you who missed it, there's a very interesting report on a conversation with Mark Catlin (see below the post The Pompey Forum Interview with MC. No-one deserves vile abuse, not Jackett, not Catlin, not the Eisner's, nor others on this forum. But Catlin & the Eisner’s need to understand the frustration of the fans - not just going in freefall from the top since Christmas, not just going from leading scorers to pathetic up front, not just going from 7 games without conceding to being a laughing-stock at the back, not0 just by being humiliated by other poor teams, but showing no motivation, no energy, an almost total inability to pass to one of our own, very little skill, and worst of all seemingly like no pride in playing for the shirt (with a couple of exceptions).

Like many others on this forum, I have been calling for Jacket to step down or be fired, based not just on inconsistent results but on the basis of forced to watch boring football, safety-first strategy, and numerous incomprehensible team selections. I was a supporter of Jacket to start with, but it became clear after the first 18 months that his best achievements were behind him.

The message to our CEO and Owners – thank you for supporting us, but please appoint someone younger, with modern experience of managing football, someone with pride and passion in our team (like Alan Ball God-rest his soul), and give us something to smile about before the start of next season. If you do, Fratton Park will once again be full every game. If you don’t, crowds will go back to the days before Harry took over.

RE: Where do we go from here? - Cressers - 10-03-2021

Is it down to the lake I fear...

RE: Where do we go from here? - ForeverPompey - 10-03-2021

You're right that he doesn't deserve abuse for being so poor at his job but it is hard to keep calm when you hear his comments. Last night apparently there were 'positives' in that some of our 'process' was good. What does that mean? We 'moved the ball across the backline pretty well'... oh good, that definitely excites the fans and wins matches!! Unfortunately, he adds that we did this so well we eventually gifted them their second goal doing it... hmmm.. so we didn't move it across the backline so well after all! No mention of why we didn't have a single shot on target of course. Grrrrrr!!! Rant over.

RE: Where do we go from here? - teeftwo - 10-03-2021

(10-03-2021, 05:35 AM)Cressers Wrote: Is it down to the lake I fear...

Nah nah nah nah nah nah

RE: Where do we go from here? - bluetagagain - 10-03-2021

Well end up about 10th. 4 teams below us have games in hand and the ability to overtake us. That's not counting on another team make a late surge ( not us).

RE: Where do we go from here? - exterminator - 10-03-2021

I'm just thankful we are 20 points clear of the relegation zone at the moment !!

RE: Where do we go from here? - briefcase_wanchor - 10-03-2021

The biggest shame is that this weekend over 50,000 of us are precluded from telling Jackett (and the players for that matter) precisely what we think of them. Kenny's relief about that must be huge. Would have made great viewing for the neutral.

I'm sure they will all be poncing around on the Wembley turf before the match, talking shit. I'm not sure who is going to be pushing Raggett around in his spaz-chair. I hope he gives Forrest Gump his callipers back after he has finished with them.

We spend a lot of time discussing the worst strikers we have known at Pompey.. what about the worst central defenders? Raggett is a shocker but how about Carl Tiler? I remember him being useless. In fact Raggett does at least score a few goals, maybe not as many as he gives away though.

RE: Where do we go from here? - TBP - 10-03-2021

(10-03-2021, 02:07 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: We spend a lot of time discussing the worst strikers we have known at Pompey.. what about the worst central defenders? Raggett is a shocker but how about Carl Tiler? I remember him being useless. In fact Raggett does at least score a few goals, maybe not as many as he gives away though.

Tiler wasn't just useless himself, he made the other defenders play badly too.

(10-03-2021, 02:48 PM)TBP Wrote:
(10-03-2021, 02:07 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: We spend a lot of time discussing the worst strikers we have known at Pompey.. what about the worst central defenders? Raggett is a shocker but how about Carl Tiler? I remember him being useless. In fact Raggett does at least score a few goals, maybe not as many as he gives away though.

Tiler wasn't just useless himself, he made the other defenders play badly too.

haha indeed. My memory doesn't play tricks then!