TrueBlueArmy Forums
Team discipline - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Team discipline (/showthread.php?tid=3383)

Pages: 1 2

Team discipline - Hammie - 16-09-2023

Still picking up the odd brainless cards. 
But the team as a whole look so much more disciplined. In recent seasons we have often done well until a controversial decision or soft goal. Then the entire team has gone off on a collective strop, kicking, whinging at the ref and generally losing focus on the game.
This season we seem to quickly get back focused on playing and winning the game, not kicking opponents or the ref. With a notable exception of course.

RE: Team discipline - slayer - 16-09-2023

A good number of opposition managers - and most vocally Paul Warne - attributed that to the Cowley brothers

RE: Team discipline - Hammie - 16-09-2023

(16-09-2023, 06:32 PM)slayer Wrote: A good number of opposition managers - and most vocally Paul Warne - attributed that to the Cowley brothers

I missed that!
I've never seen a Pompey team so ill disciplined. 
Alan Ball's lot could look after themselves, but apart form KD it was rarely petulant. and they never lost the aim to win the game.

RE: Team discipline - Cunninglinguist - 18-09-2023

We’re going to end up losing Poole to suspension if he has to keep ‘taking one for the team’, due to someone else’s silly mistakes.

RE: Team discipline - exgaffer - 18-09-2023

(18-09-2023, 05:11 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: We’re going to end up losing Poole to suspension if he has to keep ‘taking one for the team’, due to someone else’s silly mistakes.

Good defenders usually get booked, it goes with the territory.

RE: Team discipline - Rocketman - 18-09-2023

(18-09-2023, 09:06 AM)exgaffer Wrote:
(18-09-2023, 05:11 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: We’re going to end up losing Poole to suspension if he has to keep ‘taking one for the team’, due to someone else’s silly mistakes.

As others have commented, it's just the brainless bookings that need to be stopped, many of Morrells and two of Robertsons as examples. The others we can forgive, even encourage if its taking one for the team.

(18-09-2023, 10:04 AM)Rocketman Wrote:

As others have commented, it's just the brainless bookings that need to be stopped, many of Morrells and two of Robertsons as examples. The others we can forgive, even encourage if its taking one for the team.

Yes I agree about Morrell, most of his bookings are completely unnecessary.

RE: Team discipline - Hammie - 18-09-2023

That was the pint of the "professional foul" rule coming in. But it was watered down very quickly as the players and managers had a good whinge. 
Might be time to make a quite deliberate foul with no chance of taking the ball, being a straight red, everywhere on the pitch.
At present nearly every promising attack is stopped in exchange for a yellow.

RE: Team discipline - Cunninglinguist - 18-09-2023

If the players in front of him stopped making stupid mistakes, he wouldn’t have to pick up so many bookings. Saturday was a classic case in point.

(18-09-2023, 04:52 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:

If the players in front of him stopped making stupid mistakes, he wouldn’t have to pick up so many bookings. Saturday was a classic case in point.

We currently play in League 1, players at this level are not infallible and are prone to mistakes. We are currently performing very well, so I think such criticism is harsh.

RE: Team discipline - Hammie - 18-09-2023

(18-09-2023, 05:57 PM)exgaffer Wrote:
(18-09-2023, 04:52 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:

We currently play in League 1, players at this level are not infallible and are prone to mistakes. We are currently performing very well, so I think such criticism is harsh.
playing out from the back will lead to more mistakes and bookings to make up for them

RE: Team discipline - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 18-09-2023

Luckily we now have a big squad so if he does miss a game he can be replaced by Towler or Raggett

RE: Team discipline - Hammie - 19-09-2023

Seeing the team tonight, the manager don't much care about discipline for his favoured few.

RE: Team discipline - Northstander - 23-09-2023

Pack, Morrell and Robertson booked today all in the 2nd half. I still can't believe the awful challenge on Paddy Lane early on didnt warrant even a yellow. If that had been Morrell he'd have been carded for sure. Some of the old Refs used to say keep your notebook in your pocket in the 1st half, get it out in the 2nd. He did book Reeco admittedly before half time but I thought of that saying in the 2nd half.

RE: Team discipline - bluetagagain - 23-09-2023

I thought Morrell booking could’ve been avoided , again self inflicted

RE: Team discipline - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 23-09-2023

(19-09-2023, 06:26 PM)Hammie Wrote: Seeing the team tonight, the manager don't much care about discipline for his favoured few.

The favoured few are currently getting the job done so it’s understandable. Morrell was unlucky to not be given man of the match today

RE: Team discipline - DeepBlue - 23-09-2023

(23-09-2023, 05:33 PM)Northstander Wrote: Pack, Morrell and Robertson booked today all in the 2nd half.  I still can't believe the awful challenge on Paddy Lane early on didnt warrant even a yellow. If that had been Morrell he'd have been carded for sure. Some of the old Refs used to say keep your notebook in your pocket in the 1st half, get it out in the 2nd.  He did book Reeco admittedly before half time but I thought of that saying in the 2nd half.

Pack's was very harsh, it was only just a foul.  

Robertson was unlucky, as far as I could see he was just running back into position when they played the free-kick against him. Bit naive to run that close to the ball but I saw no intent to block the free-kick.   

Couldn't see what Morrell was booked for so can't comment on that one, if it was for the tackle then it was harsh, and Morrell's reaction showed how angry he was with the player for making it look bad, but it was probably for something that happened in the 'afters' which he should have just walked away from.

(23-09-2023, 05:38 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: I thought Morrell booking could’ve been avoided , again self inflicted

Robertson the same. He’s only one more yellow off an automatic ban for 5 yellows. And considering he hasn’t been an ever present and we’ve only played 9 matches he also needs to watch himself. Robertson’s yellow today while Lincoln were trying to take a free kick was stupid

RE: Team discipline - bluetagagain - 23-09-2023

Agree that Packs and especially Robertsons booking were harsh. Morrell was for his aggressive reaction which although understandable doesn’t do him any favours.

(23-09-2023, 05:53 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: Agree that Packs and especially Robertsons booking were harsh. Morrell was for his aggressive reaction which although understandable doesn’t do him any favours.

Robertson was laughing after he got his yellow which says to me he knew exactly what he was doing, and that was preventing Lincoln from taking a quick free kick so we could get back and defend. The thing is most of the players already were back so he didn’t really need to do it

RE: Team discipline - Hammie - 24-09-2023

Failure to retreat 10 yards is a yellow.
Sort of like the basketball rule, that you must get out of the way.
I really like the new approach to all the cheating, long may the yellows continue.
Jim Smith said that players are like little children, so the refs will need to keep doing it until the thickos get the message that their licence to cheat has ended. You would think that they might have understood it by their third card of the season.
The big issue will not be the one match ban, but later in the season the punishments mushroom for repeated collection of cards.

RE: Team discipline - Ain’t got a Danny - 24-09-2023

Sometimes reds and yellows are a price worth paying. Especially in this league.

RE: Team discipline - DeepBlue - 24-09-2023

We've actually got a deep enough squad for suspensions not to be major concern, in fact they could play a part in keeping a big squad happy with more chances to play than they would otherwise have got. 

Unless your name is Bishop that is.

RE: Team discipline - Hammie - 24-09-2023

(24-09-2023, 12:38 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: We've actually got a deep enough squad for suspensions not to be major concern, in fact they could play a part in keeping a big squad happy with more chances to play than they would otherwise have got. 

Unless your name is Bishop that is.

Yeh, if Bishop gets injured we look more than a little light up front right now.

RE: Team discipline - Deebo - 24-09-2023

(24-09-2023, 12:26 PM)Hammie Wrote: Failure to retreat 10 yards is a yellow.
Sort of like the basketball rule, that you must get out of the way.
I really like the new approach to all the cheating, long may the yellows continue.
Jim Smith said that players are like little children, so the refs will need to keep doing it until the thickos get the message that their licence to cheat has ended. You would think that they might have understood it by their third card of the season.
The big issue will not be the one match ban, but later in the season the punishments mushroom for repeated collection of cards.

Agreed Hammie. Trouble is it’s coached into them from an early age. Cheating has been endemic in football for years and has created its own sickness. It’ll take years and a lot of determination to lose it for good. I remember playing in a friendly against Bournemouth’s youth side back in the 70s. I was shocked at their cheating, conning and gamesmanship even that long ago. God knows what it’ll be like now.