TrueBlueArmy Forums
Chris Coleman rumour - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Chris Coleman rumour (/showthread.php?tid=339)

Pages: 1 2

Chris Coleman rumour - BigSmokeBlue - 10-03-2021

We’ve supposedly made an approach to Chris Coleman about becoming our new manager. Anyone else heard the same?

RE: Chris Coleman rumour - exgaffer - 10-03-2021

(10-03-2021, 06:10 PM)BigSmokeBlue Wrote: We’ve supposedly made an approach to Chris Coleman about becoming our new manager. Anyone else heard the same?

Yes and Bowyer was also mentioned.

I know which one I’d rather have, and it wouldn’t be Coleman.

RE: Chris Coleman rumour - stayinupforever - 10-03-2021

I read he is a name in the frame.

RE: Chris Coleman rumour - dsmg - 10-03-2021

Are we happy about that???

RE: Chris Coleman rumour - Rocketman - 10-03-2021

Happy if it happens. Seems a genuinely likeable guy who's not afraid to tell it as it is. He's also Curtis's Godfather by all accounts.

RE: Chris Coleman rumour - DeepBlue - 10-03-2021

(10-03-2021, 06:15 PM)dsmg Wrote: Are we happy about that???

Wouldn't want either of them to be honest.

Too many failures on Coleman's CV and Bowyer has done a lot better than someone with his history might be expected to, but he has still only managed one club with very mixed results.

RE: Chris Coleman rumour - mikey393 - 10-03-2021

Piers Morgan is available now! Could you imagine his team talks?

Seriously CC is experienced but hardly young & when was his last job?

Bowyer could be good.

What about Frank Lampard as Player Manager I'm sure he can still hack it at Div 1 level.

RE: Chris Coleman rumour - DeepBlue - 10-03-2021

(10-03-2021, 06:33 PM)mikey393 Wrote: Piers Morgan is available now! Could you imagine his team talks?

Bowyer could be good.

What about Frank Lampard as Player Manager I'm sure he can still hack it at Div 1 level.

Lampard is 42, and hasn't played for 5 years. And was on 4m a year as a manager.  Be realistic.

RE: Chris Coleman rumour - Pedalo_menders - 10-03-2021

(10-03-2021, 06:40 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(10-03-2021, 06:33 PM)mikey393 Wrote: Piers Morgan is available now! Could you imagine his team talks?

Bowyer could be good.

Lampard is 42, and hasn't played for 5 years. And was on 4m a year as a manager.  Be realistic.

So you're saying stick him in goal?

RE: Chris Coleman rumour - Smirnoffexpress - 10-03-2021

Chris Coleman?? No better than the clown we already have. Do we only shop in Wales ffs.

RE: Chris Coleman rumour - exterminator - 10-03-2021

Chris Coleman is 50 as is his sidekick Kit Symons - I would prefer a younger coach in his 40's.

I was impressed with Plymouth style of football, however Ryan Lowe has,signed a long term contract with them which would mean serious compensation so that is,a no,no.

Need to look round the lower leagues and see what up and coming young coach is doing well, or have a look round and see what players have retired recently or are about to retire who have their coaching badges and would make a promising coach or manager.

MC and the powers that be need to get their act together and start looking about now, proactive is the word........

RE: Chris Coleman rumour - Trebilcock70 - 10-03-2021

Just when you get your hopes up about a new manager, names like Chris Coleman get mentioned

RE: Chris Coleman rumour - Hammie - 10-03-2021

Pompey have an appalling record under young first time managers.
WE need someone with enough experience to do the job and crucially play attacking football and enough charisma to build a rapport with the fans.
AB, Eagle, Harry, Bobby Campbell, Frank B.
All had some experience, some attitude/charisma and sent their teams out to attack, especially at home. They also bought decent players who were not frightened of our crowd.

RE: Chris Coleman rumour - Frattoniser - 10-03-2021

(10-03-2021, 10:41 PM)Hammie Wrote: Pompey have an appalling record under young first time managers.
WE need someone with enough experience to do the job and crucially play attacking football and enough charisma to build a rapport with the fans.
AB, Eagle, Harry, Bobby Campbell, Frank B.
All had some experience, some attitude/charisma and sent their teams out to attack, especially at home. They also bought decent players who were not frightened of our crowd.

I always felt Nigel Pearson was a good match, very Pompey. Got a good squad together, played attacking football, pretty successful; then he would hit someone.

Look what Ranieri did with HIS squad.

I know I am in a tiny minority, but he would liven EVERYTHING up.

RE: Chris Coleman rumour - BigSmokeBlue - 11-03-2021

If Coleman were given the job, one would assume Kit Symons be his no. 2? If so, surely that must be seen as a positive? A former player, who was born and brought up in our fair city. He is definitely someone who understands the club and what it means to wear the badge. Coleman's missus is also a Pompey girl, but I think she supports Man Utd? Bloody gorgeous though, so can forgive her.

RE: Chris Coleman rumour - Rick Pumpkin - 11-03-2021

(11-03-2021, 08:15 AM)BigSmokeBlue Wrote: If Coleman were given the job, one would assume Kit Symons be his no. 2? If so, surely that must be seen as a positive? A former player, who was born and brought up in our fair city. He is definitely someone who understands the club and what it means to wear the badge. Coleman's missus is also a Pompey girl, but I think she supports Man Utd? Bloody gorgeous though, so can forgive her.

I'd hope Coleman is as likely as my mum to get the job if Jackett moves on.

Apart from his teams playing dismal, mind numbing football, in club football he's got a win % of 32.2% and the only time he's hit 50% was during a 12 game spell at AEL in Greece.  I've got family who are Fulham ST holders and their opinion is he was only ever in that job because of his friendship with Al-Fayed - how true that is I don't know but they follow the team home and away and have done for years.

As for Bowyer, this comment from the Charlton message board made me smile: "It’s the lack of direction or strategy/tactics that is concerning. What is our system or preferred style of play? From what I can tell it’s ‘Route 1”.  Sound like anyone we know?  And Bowyer signed Omar Bogle too, although in fairness he rumbled him pretty early on and got rid as fast as he could!

Into The Valley

RE: Chris Coleman rumour - Tufnell_Chimes - 11-03-2021

(10-03-2021, 11:39 PM)Frattoniser Wrote: I always felt Nigel Pearson was a good match, very Pompey.

I'd have gone along with that. But he's at Bristol now, so too late for that one.

RE: Chris Coleman rumour - bluetagagain - 11-03-2021

Neil Warnock,charismatic, successful, likes Pompey

RE: Chris Coleman rumour - PlymouthGraham - 11-03-2021

id be happy if it was JOHN COLEMAN at Accy

RE: Chris Coleman rumour - David_Kemp78 - 11-03-2021

(10-03-2021, 06:14 PM)exgaffer Wrote:
(10-03-2021, 06:10 PM)BigSmokeBlue Wrote: We’ve supposedly made an approach to Chris Coleman about becoming our new manager. Anyone else heard the same?

Yes and Bowyer was also mentioned.

I know which one I’d rather have, and it wouldn’t be Coleman.
Give the geeser a chance FFS Done ok with Wales Done ok for Fulham we aint gonna get the likes of Howe etc aint happening as for Bowyer..ha ha .. Really..! At least CC will be attacking...

RE: Chris Coleman rumour - Jizbag - 11-03-2021

Coleman...no thanks. Again that's more boring old fashioned thinking from the club if that's true. We need some dynamism and fresh ideas. It worries me that we're going to go down the same old track which has brought no success. Safe pair of hands.....guaranteed play off spot!

RE: Chris Coleman rumour - DeepBlue - 11-03-2021

Why ha ha for Bowyer ?? Sounds quite a likely one to me, and apparently mentioned as a possibility on Talksport today.

Personally I think we could do better, but we could also do a hell of a lot worse.

RE: Chris Coleman rumour - Rick Pumpkin - 11-03-2021

(11-03-2021, 04:33 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: Why ha ha for Bowyer ?? Sounds quite a likely one to me, and apparently mentioned as a possibility on Talksport today.

Personally I think we could do better, but we could also do a hell of a lot worse.

Deep, take a look at comments on Charlton's twitter account or their Into the Valley messageboard - their supporters' views on Bowyer seem to be incredibly similar to our opinions of Jackett.  Route 1, players out of position, no plan b, etc.

We've suffered enough with that over the last four years seasons, do we really want to run that risk again?  Plus, personally, I don't want to see some racist, bullying thug in charge at Pompey.

RE: Chris Coleman rumour - Hammie - 11-03-2021

Need to look round the lower leagues and see what up and coming young coach is doing well, or have a look round and see what players have retired recently or are about to retire who have their coaching badges and would make a promising coach or manager.
Just thinking again about first time managers.
The only one I ever remember making good go of it at Pompey was actually Steve Claridge. Took on a badly organised team who were easy to beat. Put the players in their favoured position and made us tough to beat and a half decent team. Sham he was not given more time to build a side of his own.

Chris Coleman rumour - BigSmokeBlue - 11-03-2021

(11-03-2021, 05:08 PM)Hammie Wrote: Need to look round the lower leagues and see what up and coming young coach is doing well, or have a look round and see what players have retired recently or are about to retire who have their coaching badges and would make a promising coach or manager.
Just thinking again about first time managers.
The only one I ever remember making  good go of it at Pompey was actually Steve Claridge. Took on a badly organised team who were easy to beat. Put the players in their favoured position and made us tough to beat and a half decent team. Sham he was not given more time to build a side of his own.

Pompey have only ever been successful under an experienced manager. We have tried the upcoming young manager umpteen times and it always ends in tears. If we are to get out of this league, appointing an experienced manager is a must in my opinion. If he has got teams promoted out of this wretched league and ges his teams to play good, expansive, exciting football, then great...but highly unlikely!