TrueBlueArmy Forums
Bad boys - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Bad boys (/showthread.php?tid=3619)

Bad boys - Gerry Hatrick - 05-12-2023

Joe Morrell's fourth red card in just over two years set me thinking about Pompey bad boys. Disciplinary records of ex-players is not an easy stat to find out but who do we think had the worst?

RE: Bad boys - dsmg - 05-12-2023

Dillon and Tait got sent off a few times iirc

RE: Bad boys - firqdays - 05-12-2023

Mick KENNEDY liked a tackle, and I think back to Sheff United away - 3 players and that bloody match at Roker park !

RE: Bad boys - Gerry Hatrick - 05-12-2023

Yes, Kennedy springs to mind famously once finding the tooth of an opponent buried in his elbow at half-time.
I was also thinking of Gavin Maguire. All from the same era.
A far cry from Gentleman Jim who was never even booked.

RE: Bad boys - DeepBlue - 05-12-2023

Mad Dog was a booking waiting to happen.

RE: Bad boys - DeepBlue - 05-12-2023

(05-12-2023, 10:43 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: Joe Morrell's fourth red card in just over two years set me thinking about Pompey bad boys. Disciplinary records of ex-players is not an easy stat to find out but who do we think had the worst?

Morrell has only actually had one proper red card in the past two years (a pretyy harsh one at MK Dons) .. the rest have all been double yellows. 

I wouldn't classify Morrell as a dirty player, certainly compared to some of the old players mentioned in this thread. He has an edge in the tackle but don't think he has ever hurt anyone. His problem is being unable to modify his playing style after picking up the first yellow.

RE: Bad boys - Deebo - 05-12-2023

Roy Lunniss was a good bad boy if you can have such a thing. Him up against Scummer Paine used to be very entertaining. With regards to Morrell his rep now proceeds him.

RE: Bad boys - Hermann's_no_hermit - 05-12-2023

Mick Yosser Tait was certainly the first name that came to my mind

RE: Bad boys - mike hunt - 05-12-2023

Martin Khul , he had some tasty tackles, as I recall , maguire talented but a hot head, ian beard got sent off couple of times when in the old first div ,dillion could dish it out, but by a country mile Mick kennedy has to be the best of our nasty players.
never get a game nowadays!

RE: Bad boys - bluetagagain - 05-12-2023

Gavin 'total nutjob' Maguire

RE: Bad boys - Hammie - 05-12-2023

(05-12-2023, 12:11 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: Mad Dog was a booking waiting to happen.

didn't he debut as a sub and get sent off in a very few minutes?
At that time we had a run of debutantes seeing red.

RE: Bad boys - Cunninglinguist - 05-12-2023

(05-12-2023, 12:17 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(05-12-2023, 10:43 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: Joe Morrell's fourth red card in just over two years set me thinking about Pompey bad boys. Disciplinary records of ex-players is not an easy stat to find out but who do we think had the worst?

Morrell has only actually had one proper red card in the past two years (a pretyy harsh one at MK Dons) .. the rest have all been double yellows. 

I wouldn't classify Morrell as a dirty player, certainly compared to some of the old players mentioned in this thread. He has an edge in the tackle but don't think he has ever hurt anyone. His problem is being unable to modify his playing style after picking up the first yellow.

Good point, Deep. I hadn’t thought about it quite like that.

RE: Bad boys - FiftyYearsOn - 05-12-2023

Not many of Morrell’s tackles would even warrant a free kick in the ‘good’ old days of the 70’s far less any cards so it’s hard to judge but Dillon, Maguire and Mad Dog would be right up there possibly with Billy Gilbert.

RE: Bad boys - simonfkwit - 05-12-2023

In terms of overall record for us, Paul McCallum has to be the worst.

RE: Bad boys - SouthseaBubble - 06-12-2023

(05-12-2023, 12:36 PM)Deebo Wrote: Roy Lunniss was a good bad boy if you can have such a thing. Him up against Scummer Paine used to be very entertaining. With regards to Morrell his rep now proceeds him.

Lunniss also had a huge thrown-in - I suspect a record at the time though probably comfortably beaten by now.