TrueBlueArmy Forums
So who’s the challenger. - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: So who’s the challenger. (/showthread.php?tid=3661)

So who’s the challenger. - Cunninglinguist - 17-12-2023

We’re going up, as champs.

Who is going to come up with us?

I don’t think Stevenage will last the full season. Peterborough have come up behind us and probably will vie with Bolton.

Don’t really give a shit.

We’re going up as champs, as usual.

RE: So who’s the challenger. - TBP - 17-12-2023

(17-12-2023, 01:09 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: We’re going up, as champs.

Who is going to come up with us?

I don’t think Stevenage will last the full season. Peterborough have come up behind us and probably will vie with Bolton.

Don’t really give a shit.

We’re going up as champs, as usual.

Certainly looks like Peterborough at the moment.

RE: So who’s the challenger. - FiftyYearsOn - 17-12-2023

Choose between Bolton, Derby and Peterborough. Personally I hope it’s Stevenage… with Lincoln coming through the play offs gives us more chance in what could be a tricky season (too late for Cheltenham probably) next time!

RE: So who’s the challenger. - D'Alessandro dreaming - 17-12-2023

Certainly Peterborough are the side in form out of the chasing pack. They've had a good run of fixtures though and caught Oxford at a good time. In the third tier basically you always expect them to be there or thereabouts. Derby are a threat too, I think they might be limited on what they can do in the January window though. They also have some tricky fixtures over Christmas so it might be easier to judge them after that. I would still fully expect Bolton to finish in the autos. This is a wobble but they can go on these big winning runs and will strengthen.

I wouldn't entirely discount Oxford. They had some tricky results before yesterday but are I think gradually adapting to the change of management. Stevenage look like strong playoff contenders rather than automatic challengers I feel.8

RE: So who’s the challenger. - Theyak2 - 17-12-2023

Been here all to often.
I'll wait until the end of January thanks very much.
I'm enjoying each game as it comes and long may it continue.
Carry this form over Xmas and January and I'm on the bandwagon that Cunning has so stuck his colours and 'dust' to!

(17-12-2023, 03:37 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: Been here all to often.
I'll wait until the end of January thanks very much.
I'm enjoying each game as it comes and long may it continue.
Carry this form over Xmas and January and I'm on the bandwagon that Cunning has so stuck his colours and 'dust' to!

Recent history has made many of us guarded against getting overexcited and I totally get that. This time though it really does feel so so different. In 18/19 at this stage we were getting results, not always playing fantastically well but still getting results. This time around and especially recently we are genuinely playing well. We've shown we can grind out results when not at our best as well as now getting some very comfortable wins when we do up it.

We're coming out of the other side of an injury crisis that could have derailed our season. January is coming closer and unlike 5 years ago we've got people who actually know how to use a transfer window. The Asia cup is a cloud in our sky admittedly but beyond that, it really is looking so good.

RE: So who’s the challenger. - DeepBlue - 17-12-2023

I'm just hoping that these people who know how to handle a transfer have the wisdom to recognise that unless anyone surprising leaves, all we need is a right centre back as cover for Raggett and to sign too many more would risk the harmony in the dressing room. 

With Lowery & Scully being fit , and Anjorin & Ogilvie coming back (and Whyte hitting hopefully hitting form) it's already like 5 new signings.

RE: So who’s the challenger. - bluetagagain - 17-12-2023

(17-12-2023, 05:29 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: I'm just hoping that these people who know how to handle a transfer have the wisdom to recognise that unless anyone surprising leaves, all we need is a right centre back as cover for Raggett and to sign too many more would risk the harmony in the dressing room. 

With Lowery & Scully being fit , and Anjorin & Ogilvie coming back (and Whyte hitting hopefully hitting form) it's already like 5 new signings.

I agree, the only other addition I would make is another striker IF Yengi goes to Asia Cup.

RE: So who’s the challenger. - DeepBlue - 17-12-2023

(17-12-2023, 05:46 PM)bluetagagain Wrote:
(17-12-2023, 05:29 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: I'm just hoping that these people who know how to handle a transfer have the wisdom to recognise that unless anyone surprising leaves, all we need is a right centre back as cover for Raggett and to sign too many more would risk the harmony in the dressing room. 

I agree, the only other addition I would make is another striker IF Yengi goes to Asia Cup.

I wouldn't. Bishop & Saydee are enough for a few weeks, as long as we are sure Bishop is fit again. We've gone more weeks than that with Yengi injured and survived (and thrived). 

And if Robertson goes we have Lowery coming back and plenty of midfielders.

RE: So who’s the challenger. - bluetagagain - 17-12-2023

Let’s hope Bish doesn’t get injured then especially as JM wants Saydee to play a deeper role (10?), maybe getting a loan in as we’ve still got a space left.

I would suggest a backup striker as well if Yengi is off to the Asia cup but can't argue for any more than that. If they do bring in extra players beyond that then they should be young talents signed with an eye on the future. It would be an absolute nuisance to go into a championship season needing to offload a load of short term panic buys from this January.

RE: So who’s the challenger. - Trarchus - 18-12-2023

My biggest concern would be losing Robertson for 5 weeks.
We have a great midfield, but his ability to find that attacking pass is something we haven't had for ages and will miss.
Having said that, how could we replace that in Jan?

RE: So who’s the challenger. - Sharpe* - 18-12-2023

Lets not get too cocky!

We stand a good chance of going up but nothing is guarunteed.

RE: So who’s the challenger. - bluetagagain - 18-12-2023

Devlin and Saydee can play the 10 role plus if Lowery is back that gives us him and Stevenson to fill the central midfield roles.

RE: So who’s the challenger. - Slagger - 18-12-2023

Going back to the original thread topic I expect Derby to go on a winning run.

RE: So who’s the challenger. - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 18-12-2023

(17-12-2023, 05:46 PM)bluetagagain Wrote:

Yengi will definitely going to the Asian Cup. Socceroos coach Graham Arnold see’s him as the future with all of Australia’s other usual strikers being over the age of 30