TrueBlueArmy Forums
Bishop - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Bishop (/showthread.php?tid=3687)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Bishop - Deebo - 27-12-2023

Very interested to see how many people think Yengi and Bishop would work. I can’t really see it myself. Most of Bishop’s goals come from tap-ins from wide balls played into the six yard box. The one opportunity Yengi had last night to play Bishop in he slashed the ball badly wide instead from a ridiculous angle. Very happy to be proved wrong at a later date but struggling at the moment to see those two develop an understanding that unless it hits the ground running we haven’t time to develop unless circumstances dictate otherwise. As for dropping Bishop. 32 goals in 66 games. I think I’d be correct in saying that we haven’t had a forward with anywhere near that goal per game record for some time.

RE: Bishop - mikey393 - 27-12-2023

What we all need to take into account is that he was out for a few games so hasn't been fuly match fit. The Wimbledon game would have been ideal to ease him back inbut JM didn't want to risk him.

RE: Bishop - Cunninglinguist - 29-12-2023

What we all need to take into account is that Mikey doesn’t watch games and he wouldn’t have seen whether Bishop was match fit or not.

I saw absolutely nothing to suggest Bishop lacked any match fitness. He runs for everything and doesn’t/hasn’t let up.

I have to agree with Tag about a Yengi and Bishop pairing. It was different and gave Bristol something to adjust to but the hardest thing they had to deal with was a decent winger doing his job. Lane did everything that Kamara was struggling to achieve.

RE: Bishop - farq2 - 29-12-2023

I would like to think that the manager knows exactly how well a bishop /yengi partnership would work.It must have been tried loads of times in training.

RE: Bishop - exgaffer - 29-12-2023

(29-12-2023, 08:38 AM)farq2 Wrote: I would like to think that the manager knows exactly how well a bishop /yengi partnership would work.It must have been tried loads of times in training.

Yes he probably knows a lot more about the pair of them than any of us.

I love the way all the sphincters have started twitching just because we had a couple of games without a win. We should have beaten Rovers, had most of the play and on another day would have won.

We need to sharpen up our finishing a bit and I’m sure the manager is on the case.

We don’t shoot enough imo, Saydee seems to wait far too long.

I’m not worried though, we will still go up  Big Grin .

RE: Bishop - mikey393 - 29-12-2023

(29-12-2023, 06:33 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: What we all need to take into account is that Mikey doesn’t watch games and he wouldn’t have seen whether Bishop was match fit or not.

I saw absolutely nothing to suggest Bishop lacked any match fitness. He runs for everything and doesn’t/hasn’t let up.

I have to agree with Tag about a Yengi and Bishop pairing. It was different and gave Bristol something to adjust to but the hardest thing they had to deal with was a decent winger doing his job. Lane did everything that Kamara was struggling to achieve.

I don't need to watch actual games live. Guy Whittingham's comments are normally spot on. You only watch on ifollow & don't attend.

I've been to 2 games this season which is 2 more than you so respectively suggest you don't keep repeating that worn line!

RE: Bishop - Bedhamptonblue69 - 30-12-2023

Can’t fault his record for us. And playing upfront alone is a thankless task . But his link up play is poor and basic control lets him down , never wins any flick ons as he just seems to back into defenders and gets penalised ,not the fastest either . Yengi has the pace and can sit on the last man and as proved against Bolton , gives defenders a torrid time . If we are to keep going we need to bench bishop and go with yengi .Bishop has been sussed out by the opposition

RE: Bishop - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 30-12-2023

(30-12-2023, 04:40 AM)Bedhamptonblue69 Wrote: Can’t fault his record for us. And playing upfront alone is a thankless task . But his link up play is poor and basic control lets him down , never wins any flick ons as he just seems to back into defenders and gets penalised ,not the fastest either . Yengi has the pace and can sit on the last man and as proved against Bolton , gives defenders a torrid time . If we are to keep going we need to bench bishop and go with yengi .Bishop has been sussed out by the opposition

Unfortunately Yengi is off to Qatar for about a month soon (first Aussie match v India is on January 13) so unless we buy another striker it’s Colby Bishop (and no doubt more rubbish team performances) all the way. Not that Mousinho was going to drop Bishop for Yengi anyway

RE: Bishop - slayer - 30-12-2023

Spot should have been Yengi's to lose.

Worst case scenario Bishop would have been back in automatically when Yengi left.

Then you leave Bish in. A goal gets a striker out of a funk. They can't score them on the bench.

RE: Bishop - Gerry Hatrick - 30-12-2023

(29-12-2023, 01:18 PM)mikey393 Wrote:
(29-12-2023, 06:33 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: What we all need to take into account is that Mikey doesn’t watch games and he wouldn’t have seen whether Bishop was match fit or not.

I don't need to watch actual games live. Guy Whittingham's comments are normally spot on. You only watch on ifollow & don't attend.

I've been to 2 games this season which is 2 more than you so respectively suggest you don't keep repeating that worn line!

Just for the record, I find Mikey's posts interesting, as valid as any others on here and more polite than he is entitled to be given the silly, somewhat psychotic, provocation he gets from a few on this board. The business about who sees more games is an irrelevant red herring.
Happy New Year!

RE: Bishop - bluetagagain - 30-12-2023

He’s still a depressing din though

RE: Bishop - stayinupforever - 01-01-2024

Pleased he scored but he didn't celebrate much. Got the hump I expect.

RE: Bishop - slayer - 01-01-2024

He can have the hump and celebrate as muted as he likes, as long as he scores. That's his job, it's what we pay him for, it is our rightful expectation and today he did it well. This is a big club, and as such requires players to wear their big pants.

RE: Bishop - essentialmix75 - 01-01-2024

(01-01-2024, 07:21 PM)slayer Wrote: He can have the hump and celebrate as muted as he likes, as long as he scores. That's his job, it's what we pay him for, it is our rightful expectation and today he did it well. This is a big club, and as such requires players to wear their big pants.
And not Squinny because you have been playing sh*t, and blaming other people, naughty fans saying mean words!. 

What a bunch of soft coonts we have in the world now.

RE: Bishop - 66zoolane - 01-01-2024

He does a great job for us, and for some players, and people in general, it's 'carrot not stick', to get the best out of them. That's completely evident in his Snooze comments. We should remember that if we want to go up.

RE: Bishop - Sharpe* - 01-01-2024

I have a small amount of sympathy for him as a few of our fans have gone from fair criticism to talking shite.

Reality is he hasn't played well for a while and John should have kept Yengi in the team as we were playing briliantly.

Bishop always gives 100% but with him up front alone we are much less creative.

He comes deep to get the ball but when he does he's out of position and there is nobody in the box - or he heads it on to nobody in particular.

I appreciate his efforts but its not particularly helpful.

He's also been missing quite a lot of sitters for quite a while.

I see it as the boss's problem - find a way of getting the centre mids to get the ball and play it wide whilst insisting Colby stays up front and doesn't come and get the ball.

He's obviously a good player - its the managers tactics which needs work and I think John probably will sort it.

There is nothing wrong with fair criticism and Colby needs to get his head down.

Bishop being a squinny - Pedalo_menders - 02-01-2024

Bishop is being a squinny. Grow up mate. Its embarrassing.

RE: Bishop being a squinny - HotToddy - 02-01-2024

(02-01-2024, 01:55 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Grow up mate. Its embarrassing.
Totally agree.

RE: Bishop - Deebo - 02-01-2024

Fair enough but that depends on a fair interpretation of what “fair criticism” is. The alternatives to Bishop as they stand are Yengi, an unproven and absent novice (who’s magically transmogrified into a world- beater overnight in some eyes) or Saydee, (fair criticism would be he can’t hit a cow’s arse), or Brett Pitman (lol) or the notoriously tricky January transfer window. Or we could get off Bishop’s back and give him some encouragement as in general he’s done a great job. As he seems a soul who’s sensitive to “fair criticism” I think it’s pretty obvious what the best option for the club at this crucial stage of the season would be. I like his fuck you attitude. If the sensitive souls on here can’t take bit of criticism back, unlucky.

RE: Bishop being a squinny - Theyak2 - 02-01-2024

(02-01-2024, 02:28 AM)HotToddy Wrote:
(02-01-2024, 01:55 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Grow up mate. Its embarrassing.
Totally agree.

Yeah, I agree too. The fratton fans have been brilliant in their backing and a few bad posts online mean he throws his toys out the pram!
Sorry Colby.
Let your football do the talking!
And celebrate your goals, there are a finite amount of time to do that in front of 20000 people on your side!

RE: Bishop being a squinny - dsmg - 02-01-2024

His reaction was unnecessary imo as the crowd have largely been right behind him. I noticed Raffs ran up to him and pulled his hands away from his ears.

RE: Bishop being a squinny - Deebo - 02-01-2024

Fuck me not this again. He’s a footballer. They’re not generally very bright. He thinks he’s done a good job which he has. He’s had a nasty injury and drop in form which happens. He thinks he’s been unfairly criticised and showed it which is only human nature. Not clever but most of us would do the same. Get over it.

RE: Bishop being a squinny - Gerry Hatrick - 02-01-2024

Let's look at this rationally:
The News (Jordan Cross and Neil Allen) who delight in fuelling this nonesense describe it as 'flak', 'knockers', 
Bishop described it as 'slander'.

What I've seen is some debate about whether, when Bishop was injured, Yengi was sometime a more effective option.
Then I've seen some pointing out when the last time was that Bishop scored from open-play.
And then there were those that described his misses in his last 10/12 games (including a very poor one at Exeter).

This is, as far as I can make it the kind of proper discussion that fans have about the highs and lows of following a club.
Obviously, I haven't seen all the social media output on this subject, but no-where have I seen abuse or even criticised of him personally. On the contrary, even most of his 'critics' have pointed out his tremendous workrate and respect for his track record.
He may have forgotten that the fans made him Player of the Year last season. 

Funniest thing is he says "All I can do is do my talking on the pitch". Good advice. Except that he then he rants on for ages about being hard done by.

Sorry Colby, you will lose the enormous respect we have for you if you don't lose that enormous chip on your shoulder.

RE: Bishop being a squinny - Deebo - 02-01-2024

“And not Squinny because you have been playing sh*t, and blaming other people, naughty fans saying mean words!. What a bunch of soft coonts we have in the world now.”

Just to clarify your point about seeing nothing that is personal. You missed this. Fair enough, it’s from our resident idiot after a couple of shandies and difficult to interpret but I think he calls Colby a soft cvnt. Not to his face of course.

RE: Bishop being a squinny - Trarchus - 02-01-2024

Nothing wrong with a bit of criticism, all professionals get it, and generally accept it being part of the game. Ups and downs.
It's how criticism is levelled that matters.  Not just at our club, some fans go too far and end up losing the point of criticism which is really a form of encouragement in most cases. Wink