TrueBlueArmy Forums
10 men behind the ball - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 10 men behind the ball (/showthread.php?tid=3740)

10 men behind the ball - Yepmop70 - 05-01-2024

Does anyone get enraged like I do when we are defending a corner and have nobody on the halfway line ? We even have everyone back when a team has a long throw, it's absolute madness, there's no possible reason to do this. This is the only thing I don't like Mousinho for. When the ball is cleared it just comes straight back again and we are under pressure. This even happens when we are 3-0 up in a game !! Come on John lets have someone up on the halfway line. PUP ?

RE: 10 men behind the ball - FiftyYearsOn - 05-01-2024

I certainly used to. TBH it is so commonplace now I hardly even notice.

RE: 10 men behind the ball - dsmg - 05-01-2024

Cowley did the same

RE: 10 men behind the ball - Cunninglinguist - 06-01-2024

Difficult to argue with a top of the league manager

RE: 10 men behind the ball - simonfkwit - 06-01-2024

The first time I noticed this was under Pulis, and it's bugged me ever since.
Seems very basic to keep one up - not only does it offer an outlet but it invariably forces the opposition to keep another one back.
However - as fiftyyears says - it seems to be the normal now so suspect managers know a bit more than us about this - would love to know the thinking though.

RE: 10 men behind the ball - Cunninglinguist - 06-01-2024

I recall Mousinho was asked about it at a recent Q and A. He gave a robust enough answer.

RE: 10 men behind the ball - Lawrence - 06-01-2024

(06-01-2024, 07:56 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: I recall Mousinho was asked about it at a recent Q and A. He gave a robust enough answer.

I remember that too. It was so vague and unclear that most observors listening didn't have a clue what he was saying. Even mousinho said he recognised what people were saying about the whole thing. It was a agile ago but I got the impression that it was because every one else does it.

RE: 10 men behind the ball - dsmg - 06-01-2024

Just leave your fastest player on the halfway line. Simples

RE: 10 men behind the ball - exgaffer - 06-01-2024

Yes this is a pet hateĀ of mine for a number of reasons.

1. It allows more opposition players to advance to dangerous attacking areas. If you leave one up it occupies 2 opposition players, 2 occupy 3 and so on.

2. It often results in the ball coming straight back when cleared.

3. It removes the option of a quick counter attack.

The fact that the same tactics are used by so many managers indicates that this is a result of the training modern managers receive when going for their coaching badges.

The same applies to the daft practice employed by keepers when they want to punch everything, when in many cases the best option is to catch the ball.

Ditto the insistence on always playing out from the back,

Modern football is becoming far too predictable (and boring) imho.

RE: 10 men behind the ball - Hammie - 06-01-2024

I think we are better than most at mixing up the play from the back and going more direct. But back to the original point, you cannot do that if all your players are in your own box. It must be worth putting Kamara or Lane up there, pulls two opposition back. Even better put them both up there, but on the wings, leave the middle empty and let the opposition worry about where to put there "defenders"

RE: 10 men behind the ball - Yepmop70 - 06-01-2024

(06-01-2024, 12:38 PM)Hammie Wrote: I think we are better than most at mixing up the play from the back and going more direct. But back to the original point, you cannot do that if all your players are in your own box. It must be worth putting Kamara or Lane up there, pulls two opposition back. Even better put them both up there, but on the wings, leave the middle empty and let the opposition worry about where to put there "defenders"

Hammie, you are spot on I was going to say exactly the same thing, the defence would have to have three back possibly another one a little bit further upfield. If we can't cope with eight defendersĀ  from a corner against five n the box ( as the other one is taking the corner ) then it's a poor show. Attack, Attack, Attack , let them worry about us not the other way round.