TrueBlueArmy Forums
Danny Cowley offered Pompey managers role - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Danny Cowley offered Pompey managers role (/showthread.php?tid=383)

Pages: 1 2

Danny Cowley offered Pompey managers role - BigSmokeBlue - 16-03-2021

Until the end of the season apparently, but he wants a longer term contract. Charlton also sniffing around. If Cowley accepts his offer, we can expect more of the same dross football. So he and his brother will have to change their style if they want to be accepted here. 

I would prefer Daniel Stendel myself.

RE: Danny Cowley offered Pompey managers role - stayinupforever - 16-03-2021

We need a manager who knows how to play football on the ground not a hoof-it-and-hope merchant. Cowley out!!!

RE: Danny Cowley offered Pompey managers role - exgaffer - 16-03-2021

(16-03-2021, 10:17 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: We need a manager who knows how to play football on the ground not a hoof-it-and-hope merchant. Cowley out!!!

There is a big difference between ‘direct’ and ‘hoofball’.

I think Cowley would do a good job, he knows how to attack that’s for sure.

RE: Danny Cowley offered Pompey managers role - ForeverPompey - 16-03-2021

Is this approach by Pompey in wanting a reasonably well known man to come and do the job for 13 games a good idea? An experienced manager seems unlikely to agree, and might mean we miss out on someone who we really want longer term. If we are serious about not making a permanent appointment until the summer it makes me wonder whether the club had given any thought to what happens next before they axed jackett. I'm not criticising... yet... just musing about whether the powers that be have been planning ahead....

RE: Danny Cowley offered Pompey managers role - Pedalo_menders - 16-03-2021

Oh dear. Out of the drying pan and into the fire.

I cant take another season of mind numbing hoofball. What on earth are the board playing at?

RE: Danny Cowley offered Pompey managers role - Deebo - 16-03-2021

This has all the hallmarks of a mighty fvck up from day one. Are they considering managers to suit the players we already have rather than the other way around? The club appears to have no vision about how it wants to play and how to get where it wants to go.

Double post

(16-03-2021, 12:31 PM)Deebo Wrote: This has all the hallmarks of a mighty fvck up from day one. The club appears to have no vision about how it wants to play and how to get where it wants to go.

Yup.  Possibly even worse than that is that they like the slow & steady approach but dont understand that it's not a good thing to have on the pitch!

So theyve seen that an experienced hoofball plodder didnt work so they want to switch to an inexperienced hoofball plodder?! Wtf?

RE: Danny Cowley offered Pompey managers role - Cleaver Greene - 16-03-2021

If it is the Cowley brothers than we might as well gone and got Tony Pulis.

RE: Danny Cowley offered Pompey managers role - Smirnoffexpress - 16-03-2021

Fook me, really. One long ball merchant to another!

Well thank feck you lot are’t involved in the selection process.

Football isn’t a ‘long ball’ or ‘passing’ game, it’s a combination of the two.

Good managers employ both and use the tactics they need to win games. The Cowleys’ teams employed the long ball when necessary but also played good football.

The problem with Jackett is that he was risk averse and didn’t know how to attack, or adapt the playing style when necessary.

You don’t want a team that hoofs it all the time and you don’t want a team that ponces around on the ball taking 10 passes when 1 or 2 will do.

The Cowleys would do a good job here, no doubt about it.

Article in the snooze examining the truth or myth of Cowley style. Maybe worth a read. I had no idea what their style is so I feel the article helps form opinion. Take from it what you want but I felt more upbeat about them after reading it.

RE: Danny Cowley offered Pompey managers role - briefcase_wanchor - 16-03-2021

When I hear the name Cowley, I just think, Morris Ital and Austin Maestro.

When I hear the name Cowley I think of Mrs Cowley around the corner. She's over 80, as mad as fvck and would be a crap manager for us as well.

(16-03-2021, 03:09 PM)Deebo Wrote: When I hear the name Cowley I think of Mrs Cowley around the corner. She's over 80, as mad as fvck and would be a crap manager for us as well.

Well I couldn’t venture an opinion on Mrs Cowley Deebo, I’ve never seen one of her sides play  Smile

To be fair she was in charge of the local Brownies team for the season and they did the double.

RE: Danny Cowley offered Pompey managers role - slayer - 16-03-2021

Interesting shout Gaff. It reminds me of something you once said on FOL: the problem with Kenny is he doesn't pass the ball enough, the problem with Cook was he passed it too much

RE: Danny Cowley offered Pompey managers role - Wightblue - 16-03-2021

Picking up on Gaffers point about direct football, the fantastic Pompey sides of their 1946/50 heyday were extremely direct....but on the ground.

Typically out of defence, Harry Ferrier would move the ball to Jimmy Dickinson at Left half in midfield and he would shift it to either Froggatt on the wing or Phillips at inside-left, Phillips (an outstanding passer of the ball) would look for Dougie Reid, Ike Clarke or a marauding Peter Harris to finish the move.

That Pompey side did not play tippy tappy football, everything was quick to the point where the opposition were often stranded, no time to get back to cover the attack.

Pompey were blessed with outstanding players of course, Scoular and Dickinson not only great tacklers but with the ability to pass the ball 20 yards or more with accuracy, Phillips and Reid with great first touches (when did having a great first touch go out of fashion?).

A different age of course and just maybe the 1948/49 and 1949/50 Pompey’s sides might be found out by Man City and the like today but I can’t help but feel that the current Pompey team (not really fit to wear The Shirt) might have been Reserves at best and The Pompey B team more likely.

RE: Danny Cowley offered Pompey managers role - briefcase_wanchor - 16-03-2021

(16-03-2021, 03:09 PM)Deebo Wrote: When I hear the name Cowley I think of Mrs Cowley around the corner. She's over 80, as mad as fvck and would be a crap manager for us as well.

Does she drive a Maestro?

(16-03-2021, 04:09 PM)Wightblue Wrote: Picking up on Gaffers point about direct football, the fantastic Pompey sides of their 1946/50 heyday were extremely direct....but on the ground.

Typically out of defence, Harry Ferrier would move the ball to Jimmy Dickinson at Left half in midfield and he would shift it to either Froggatt on the wing or Phillips at inside-left, Phillips (an outstanding passer of the ball) would look for Dougie Reid, Ike Clarke or a marauding Peter Harris to finish the move.

That Pompey side did not play tippy tappy football, everything was quick to the point where the opposition were often stranded, no time to get back to cover the attack.

Pompey were blessed with outstanding players of course, Scoular and Dickinson not only great tacklers but with the ability to pass the ball 20 yards or more with accuracy, Phillips and Reid with great first touches (when did having a great first touch go out of fashion?).

A different age of course and just maybe the 1948/49 and 1949/50 Pompey’s sides might be found out by Man City and the like today but I can’t help but feel that the current Pompey team (not really fit to wear The Shirt) might have been Reserves at best and The Pompey B team more likely.
You paint a great picture of that great side Wightblue.

Sadly I was born a bit too late to see them in person, I did see Dickinson play of course.

My old dad used to taunt me with how good they were and even my old mum knew the team off by heart and went to see them with her mates from time to time.

Getting back to the hoof ball thing, that applies to teams who just have a big centre forward and only have the tactic of booting it hopefully forward, because they are unable to play the ball on the ground.That actually applies to very few teams these days, most can play a bit of football.

I think the main thing is for a manager to be able to spot a good player (Kenny could do that), play with an attacking mentality (Kenny couldn’t do that) and play his men in their best positions (another thing Kenny seemed unable to fathom). 

As far as I can see, the Cowleys have all those attributes and we should not reject them due to some strange misplaced football snobbishness.

We are in League 1 and are not blessed with great footballers in every position, we can’t expect them to weave intricate patterns all the time. We have good players for League 1, we just need a manager to instil them with belief and let them play.

RE: Danny Cowley offered Pompey managers role - Wightblue - 16-03-2021

Agree with that Gaffer, we are in the 3rd Division and we can only get what we can get. I have only seen the Cowley’s teams in action via TV ( especially their Cup run as non-leaguers) but then I don’t much remember Stendhal’s Barnsley either.

I can only hope that whoever comes in will bring attractive, winning football with him, we Pompey fans have been starved of such for too long.

RE: Danny Cowley offered Pompey managers role - oi oi saveloy - 16-03-2021

“we can’t expect them to weave intricate patterns”

I’d like to see raggett try that that would be a lot of fun.

Am I doing the club an injustice or, now harris has ruled himself out and the other preferred candidates are unhappy about a 13 games contract, as they making a pigs ear of the new manager hunt?

RE: Danny Cowley offered Pompey managers role - Smirnoffexpress - 16-03-2021

I’d be a sight happier if it didn’t look as though it’s all reactive. Proper planning and all that.

RE: Danny Cowley offered Pompey managers role - mikey393 - 16-03-2021

Don't panic everyone as Arry is waiting in the wings!

I think for a 13 game run he'd be a better bet & knows the club.

Good as a short-term measure I believe.