TrueBlueArmy Forums
I fear for Raggers on Saturday - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: I fear for Raggers on Saturday (/showthread.php?tid=3930)

Pages: 1 2

I fear for Raggers on Saturday - Mostlysunny - 14-02-2024

Now before I start, let me be clear that I think Raggers has been / is an excellent player to have in the squad....he always gives a 100% and there's never any drama with him. However...

Whilst he has a strong physical presence and is excellent in the air, he lacks pace and get's turned far too easily.

On Saturday, Reading have a player in Azeez who is lightning quick and I fear will turn poor old Raggers inside out.....so let's hope JM has a cunning plan!

RE: I fear for Raggers on Saturday - farq2 - 14-02-2024

(14-02-2024, 07:54 PM)Mostlysunny Wrote: Now before I start, let me be clear that I think Raggers has been / is an excellent player to have in the squad....he always gives a 100% and there's never any drama with him. However...

Whilst he has a strong physical presence and is excellent in the air, he lacks pace and get's turned far too easily.

On Saturday, Reading have a player in Azeez who is lightning quick and I fear will turn poor old Raggers inside out.....so let's hope JM has a cunning plan!

Have some faith in the manager ffs

RE: I fear for Raggers on Saturday - slayer - 14-02-2024

Never any drama with him...

RE: I fear for Raggers on Saturday - simonfkwit - 14-02-2024

Pretty sure Raggett has played against fast players before.

RE: I fear for Raggers on Saturday - D'Alessandro dreaming - 14-02-2024

It's a football match, not a sprint relay so hopefully that speed won't make too much of a difference.

RE: I fear for Raggers on Saturday - TiHKAL - 14-02-2024

I know we have injuries, but he’s not our only defender, iirc… If he was, then he might have his hands full. As would Van Dijke.

RE: I fear for Raggers on Saturday - Trarchus - 14-02-2024

Lewis Wing & Harvey Knibs are the players we need to stop for me.  Especially Wing.

RE: I fear for Raggers on Saturday - DeepBlue - 14-02-2024

(14-02-2024, 07:54 PM)Mostlysunny Wrote: Now before I start, let me be clear that I think Raggers has been / is an excellent player to have in the squad....he always gives a 100% and there's never any drama with him. However...

Azeez doesn't play as a centre forward so not Raggett's problem

RE: I fear for Raggers on Saturday - simonfkwit - 14-02-2024

I suspect he'll be moree useful than his brother ever was.

RE: I fear for Raggers on Saturday - bluetagagain - 14-02-2024

If they’re that good they’d be top of the league and not us.
2-0 Pompey.

RE: I fear for Raggers on Saturday - Hammie - 15-02-2024

and Shocks is an Olympic sprinter?

RE: I fear for Raggers on Saturday - DeepBlue - 15-02-2024

(15-02-2024, 04:43 PM)Hammie Wrote: and Shocks is an Olympic sprinter?

Azeez plays on the right so we'll need Ogilvie at his best, but I don't remember Azeez being that quick anyway. Certainly nowhere near the likes of Blackett-Taylor and we coped with him alright.

(15-02-2024, 05:50 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(15-02-2024, 04:43 PM)Hammie Wrote: and Shocks is an Olympic sprinter?

Azeez plays on the right so we'll need Ogilvie at his best, but I don't remember Azeez being that quick anyway. Certainly nowhere near the likes of Blackett-Taylor and we coped with him alright.

Ogilvie is a proper experienced defender, might not be as quick but reads the game, ditto Raggs and Shocks and even rafferty. Might be why we are top of the league and keep a lot of clean sheets. Just as important is Pack using his experience to help out, he did that several times when Sparkes was under pressure in games.

RE: I fear for Raggers on Saturday - slayer - 15-02-2024

Things I just want to be over and done with as fast as possible:

* trips to the dentist
* blood tests
* Raggett in possession

RE: I fear for Raggers on Saturday - dsmg - 15-02-2024

Don’t remember him ever being caught in possession and he’s played five seasons for us

RE: I fear for Raggers on Saturday - slayer - 15-02-2024

Best defender we have ever had for playing out the back isn't he

RE: I fear for Raggers on Saturday - dsmg - 15-02-2024

No, nobody is saying that

Doubtless the Prem U23 thing is full of those who can play out from the back.
Keepers and outfield players.
Wonder how many will start 200+ games in defence as first team professionals?

RE: I fear for Raggers on Saturday - Cunninglinguist - 16-02-2024

(15-02-2024, 09:55 PM)slayer Wrote: Best defender we have ever had for playing out the back isn't he

He’s the best long range passing defender we’ve got. I suppose that counts as passing out from the back.

RE: I fear for Raggers on Saturday - Sharpe* - 16-02-2024

Get around it by holding onto the ball and not getting on the players backs.

RE: I fear for Raggers on Saturday - firqdays - 16-02-2024

I'm just hoping he doesn't go too mad, on Saturday, after crashing a header into the Reading goal at the Milton end !

RE: I fear for Raggers on Saturday - simonfkwit - 16-02-2024

....or cup his hands to his ears

RE: I fear for Raggers on Saturday - bluetagagain - 16-02-2024

I can’t understand why people even criticise a player who has given us 100% effort for 5 seasons. OK he’s not the most skilful player in the league but he never gives us less than his best.
Well done Raggers , PUP.

(15-02-2024, 09:45 PM)slayer Wrote: Things I just want to be over and done with as fast as possible:

* trips to the dentist
* blood tests
* Raggett in possession

He’s turned more players than Cruyff, with that trick of his.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12945510/sean-raggetts-rocket-for-pompey

Who needs to defend?