TrueBlueArmy Forums
12 Long Years - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 12 Long Years (/showthread.php?tid=4070)

Pages: 1 2

12 Long Years - teeftwo - 23-03-2024

12 long years waiting for this opportunity to get back to the Championship. There will be 16 year old fans who won't even remember us playing at that level.

What a 12 years though. Trips to unfamiliar grounds, helping to save the club, dire football, great crowds despite the level. It'll be fantastic to get back but it's not been all bad.

You need to go through the crucible sometimes to fully appreciate the good times.

RE: 12 Long Years - Cunninglinguist - 23-03-2024

It doesn’t seem that long and just proves that life really does go too quickly. Is it really 16 years since we won a major trophy?

About time we got back up there.

RE: 12 Long Years - exgaffer - 23-03-2024

(23-03-2024, 08:17 AM)teeftwo Wrote: 12 long years waiting for this opportunity to get back to the Championship. There will be 16 year old fans who won't even remember us playing at that level.

What a 12 years though. Trips to unfamiliar grounds, helping to save the club, dire football, great crowds despite the level. It'll be fantastic to get back but it's not been all bad.

You need to go through the crucible sometimes to fully appreciate the good times.

Yes it will be interesting to get back to a higher level but I will miss some of the away days to some of the smaller clubs where you meet all the real non glory hunting fans and have an enjoyable trip. Having a bit of banter and a few beers with proper fans has been great.

As for the football, there has been some bad stuff but there has been some very good football and I can’t remember too much that was actually ‘dire’.

Anyway we’re not there yet and I am old enough and ugly enough not to count my chickens.

Here’s hoping.

PUP

RE: 12 Long Years - kindofblue - 23-03-2024

Let's enjoy the moment. It'll get very plasticcy from here on.

RE: 12 Long Years - DeepBlue - 23-03-2024

Personally the last 11 of those 12 years are up there with the best in my Pompey supporting life, going from the low of being within minutes of not having a club at all to the high of fan ownership, a champions trophy (maybe two?), a great Wembley occasion, a finally the restoration of Fratton Park into a stadium to be proud of again by the best owners the club have had in my lifetime.   Yes, it's been a bit frustrating to throw away leading the league at christmas twice, but there's no shame in being in the lower leagues and they are still difficult to get out of. 

If we go up then getting back in to the championship just eleven  years after basically being a start-up club under fan ownership is still quite an achievement.

RE: 12 Long Years - Hammie - 23-03-2024

Following Pompey down and up and down and up has been a hell of a lot more fun than one of the top division clubs that does not even try for a cup run these days.

RE: 12 Long Years - Gerry Hatrick - 23-03-2024

Oh I must have missed that bit of news that said all the other clubs in League One have decided we're as good as up and might as well start their holidays early and have scrapped the last seven games and wished everyone at the club warmest congratulations with Darren Ferguson first in the queue to shake John Mousinho's hand and say he wished he was half the manager that John is.

There was me thinking we still had some work to do, that football can kick serious butt to those who think the job's done when it's not.

RE: 12 Long Years - exterminator - 23-03-2024

(23-03-2024, 02:33 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: There was me thinking we still had some work to do, that football can kick serious butt to those who think the job's done when it's not.

Gerry Atric it I'd a good job the players & nanagement don't think it is job done by any means. 

Spoke to one of our injured players whilst in the spa   at PFCHC this week. Players are  taking one game at a time, they believe we have the best team & squad in the division.

Quiet and  determined confidence  to prove wrong all those coaches & managers of other clubs that have spouting that we are " lucky" or "wern't the better team" came across loud and clear. 

#PUP#

(23-03-2024, 04:14 PM)exterminator Wrote:
(23-03-2024, 02:33 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: There was me thinking we still had some work to do, that football can kick serious butt to those who think the job's done when it's not.

Gerry Atric it I'd a good job the players & nanagement don't think it is job done by any means. 

Spoke to one of our injured players whilst in the spa   at PFCHC this week. Players are  taking one game at a time, they believe we have the best team & squad in the division.

Quiet and  determined confidence  to prove wrong all those coaches & managers of other clubs that have spouting that we are " lucky" or "wern't the better team" came across loud and clear. 

#PUP

Good. Humble but confident. How it has to be until we're over the line.
Too many premature ejaculators on here.

RE: 12 Long Years - TiHKAL - 23-03-2024

(23-03-2024, 09:55 AM)exgaffer Wrote:
(23-03-2024, 08:17 AM)teeftwo Wrote: 12 long years waiting for this opportunity to get back to the Championship. There will be 16 year old fans who won't even remember us playing at that level.

Yes it will be interesting to get back to a higher level but I will miss some of the away days to some of the smaller clubs where you meet all the real non glory hunting fans and have an enjoyable trip. Having a bit of banter and a few beers with proper fans has been great.

As for the football, there has been some bad stuff but there has been some very good football and I can’t remember too much that was actually ‘dire’.

Anyway we’re not there yet and I am old enough and ugly enough not to count my chickens.

Here’s hoping.

PUP

'Richie Barker' translates to 'dire' in some obscure northern dialect, I'm certain. Big Grin

RE: 12 Long Years - exterminator - 23-03-2024

Yep, really came across that ALL focus is on Wycombe match & nothing else.

All injured players are being supported by squad & injured players are supporting the team & going to the matches.

Have to give credit to Moose & his coaching team creating this great team togetherness !!!

RE: 12 Long Years - stayinupforever - 23-03-2024

Credit should definitely go to John Harley for his coaching and motivational skills.

RE: 12 Long Years - D'Alessandro dreaming - 23-03-2024

That first season in league one not knowing if we were going to become AFC Portsmouth in the southern premier before the PST takeover and those first two seasons in league 2 stand out as particular low points. Getting dumped out of the FA Cup by Aldershot. The Richie Barker reign generally. Guy and Andy are Pompey icons but weren't what we needed as managers. The tail end of the Jackett and Cowley reigns were grim too with that feeling we might be League One forever especially when we appointed some Oxford United defender as our gaffer. Whatever happened to him? There gave been good times too of course. That league 2 title win on the last day of the season with a team that I think has only just been surpassed this season. The Wembley win over Sunderland too.

I hope the fans who were kids back in the darkest days will be one day watching Premier League Pompey and telling their kids about going to Bootham Crescent to watch us get smashed 4-2 by York City

RE: 12 Long Years - Hermann's_no_hermit - 23-03-2024

(23-03-2024, 05:44 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: That first season in league one not knowing if we were going to become AFC Portsmouth in the southern premier before the PST takeover and those first two seasons in league 2 stand out as particular low points. Getting dumped out of the FA Cup by Aldershot. The Richie Barker reign generally. Guy and Andy are Pompey icons but weren't what we needed as managers. The tail end of the Jackett and Cowley reigns were grim too with that feeling we might be League One forever especially when we appointed some Oxford United defender as our gaffer. Whatever happened to him? There gave been good times too of course. That league 2 title win on the last day of the season with a team that I think has only just been surpassed this season. The Wembley win over Sunderland too.

I hope the fans who were kids back in the darkest days will be one day watching Premier League Pompey and telling their kids about going to Bootham Crescent to watch us get smashed 4-2 by York City
Reference the Premier League, of course I want to see us back at the top level of football but there is so much to hate about the Prem that there is a part of me that doesn't want it.

RE: 12 Long Years - Hammie - 23-03-2024

I'd be quite happy to mooch around the champ for a bit but take cups seriously.
Wait a year or two for the parachute payments to be banned and VAR also.
Hoping for a Eurosuper league to take off and the state owned teams with it.

RE: 12 Long Years - D'Alessandro dreaming - 23-03-2024

(23-03-2024, 05:51 PM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote:
(23-03-2024, 05:44 PM)D'Alessandro dreaming Wrote: That first season in league one not knowing if we were going to become AFC Portsmouth in the southern premier before the PST takeover and those first two seasons in league 2 stand out as particular low points. Getting dumped out of the FA Cup by Aldershot. The Richie Barker reign generally. Guy and Andy are Pompey icons but weren't what we needed as managers. The tail end of the Jackett and Cowley reigns were grim too with that feeling we might be League One forever especially when we appointed some Oxford United defender as our gaffer. Whatever happened to him? There gave been good times too of course. That league 2 title win on the last day of the season with a team that I think has only just been surpassed this season. The Wembley win over Sunderland too.

Reference the Premier League, of course I want to see us back at the top level of football but there is so much to hate about the Prem that there is a part of me that doesn't want it.

I get that. I know a few Nottingham Forest fans, and a Palace fan who have all become quite disillusioned with the Premier League experience. The novelty of away days to Old Trafford and Anflield and nights under the lights at home to City wears off and the harsh reality that teams outside a select few have absolutely no chance of competing for the top honours kicks in. Since Leicester did the impossible, all the big clubs started spending massively and bringing in elite managers to ensure they didn't get embarrassed again.

Ultimately though, getting there still should be the goal. Just for a new generation of fans to experience it. It could be a long way off (we aren't even out of league one yet) but one day.

(23-03-2024, 04:25 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote:

#PUP

I’m bouncing around, counting chickens and generally wondering where on earth we’re going to find space for another trophy.

RE: 12 Long Years - Slagger - 23-03-2024

(23-03-2024, 04:41 PM)TiHKAL Wrote:
(23-03-2024, 09:55 AM)exgaffer Wrote:

Here’s hoping.

PUP

'Richie Barker' translates to 'dire' in some obscure northern dialect, I'm certain. Big Grin

The mention of Richie Barker makes me feel unwell and induces palpitations and vomiting.It definitely feels like more than 12 years to me. What a rocky ride it has been.

(23-03-2024, 06:56 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:

#PUP

I’m bouncing around, counting chickens and generally wondering where on earth we’re going to find space for another trophy.

And you're the worst of them all. Just glad I'm not your missus

I’m particularly glad you’re not my missus either.

And stop flirting!

RE: 12 Long Years - Kingo - 23-03-2024

(23-03-2024, 06:56 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:

#PUP

I think I know where there may be a trophy cabinet with a bit of space we could rent.

RE: 12 Long Years - wjd - 23-03-2024

We are not there yet but are so close now. Its a tribute to all the fans like many of us, that dug deep to find the money to buy the club, to people like Mr. Mcinnes and Ashley Brown that developed the bid, to the people who just kept attending games when we were not the best of sides and to the Eisner family who have done so much to improve the club. No team deserves to be in a particular league but hopefully this season we will have earned the right to be a championship club once again and if anyone deserves it, it all of the above!

RE: 12 Long Years - Gerry Hatrick - 24-03-2024

(23-03-2024, 08:42 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: I’m particularly glad you’re not my missus either.

And stop flirting!

Heart Big Grin

RE: 12 Long Years - briefcase_wanchor - 24-03-2024

Isn’t Barker part of Warne’s team at Derby? I’m sure he’ll get a warm reception next week……

RE: 12 Long Years - stayinupforever - 24-03-2024

(24-03-2024, 07:26 AM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: Isn’t Barker part of Warne’s team at Derby? I’m sure he’ll get a warm reception next week……
Yes he is.Give it large.