TrueBlueArmy Forums
So and so "gets" Pompey - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: So and so "gets" Pompey (/showthread.php?tid=4135)

So and so "gets" Pompey - slayer - 08-04-2024

Seeing a lot of this again.

I would love to debate the definition of that.

What makes a player get the club in your book?

RE: So and so "gets" Pompey - Smirnoffexpress - 08-04-2024

(08-04-2024, 04:11 PM)slayer Wrote: Seeing a lot of this again.

Knowing what our club means to us 
,appreciating that and being prepared to dig out a shift even when it gets tough.

RE: So and so "gets" Pompey - Cunninglinguist - 08-04-2024

Generally a myth, in my worthless opinion.

There are undoubtedly some players who enjoy their time at certain clubs but that’s probably due to success or a certain mix of personalities in the changing room.

RE: So and so "gets" Pompey - Rocketman - 08-04-2024

(08-04-2024, 04:13 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote:

Knowing what our club means to us 
,appreciating that and being prepared to dig out a shift even when it gets tough.
Raggettinho is a classic example, as is Pack.

RE: So and so "gets" Pompey - stayinupforever - 08-04-2024

Yengi is not. Didn't celebrate Bishop's second goal on Saturday from the dugout despite his team mates doing so.

RE: So and so "gets" Pompey - FiftyYearsOn - 08-04-2024

Players that stuck by us in the worst days. Maybe Jamo, Rocha. Some tried to help out with fund raising or donations.. Jamo, Gary O’Neil (it might have been his wife).

RE: So and so "gets" Pompey - TiHKAL - 08-04-2024

Herman, de Zeus and Burgess I think fall into that category of late

RE: So and so "gets" Pompey - D'Alessandro dreaming - 08-04-2024

It is semi mythical but not entirely mythical. Saydee is an example. In those behind the scenes youtube videos, he's always greeting the stewards when he walks across the touchline pre game towards the changing room. Alex Robertson another who just seems to get it.

RE: So and so "gets" Pompey - DeepBlue - 08-04-2024

Surely 'getting Pompey' is just another way of saying 'developing a long lasting affection ' for the club and/or the fans. Some players do and some don't, but it is clearly a very real thing for those that do, as the long line of ex-players on the pitch on Saturday proves. It also works both ways because we as fans develop similarly very real affection for some players, but not all.

RE: So and so "gets" Pompey - dsmg - 08-04-2024

Players who didn’t take all they were owed in order to help save the club definitely ‘got’ Pompey.

RE: So and so "gets" Pompey - raymond.hallbear1@gmail.com - 09-04-2024

Jimmy Dickensen, Linvoy Primus, and  many others that showed 100% dedication to their craft and to their club. Sean Raggett might be there too.

RE: So and so "gets" Pompey - Gerry Hatrick - 09-04-2024

To answer the original question, I think players whio 'get' the club are those who could easily be fans if they weren't players. How does that sound?

RE: So and so "gets" Pompey - Hammie - 09-04-2024

The counter argument is when you get a player who performs poorly then suddenly improves when a manager gets the sack. I guess all of us with long work records have tried working for crap managers and failed.

RE: So and so "gets" Pompey - dsmg - 09-04-2024

Really good to see Robertson at the Park on Saturday. He seems to ´get` us.

RE: So and so "gets" Pompey - Hammie - 09-04-2024

(09-04-2024, 02:38 PM)dsmg Wrote: Really good to see Robertson at the Park on Saturday. He seems to ´get` us.

Which is probably the most surprising of those we have had this season. We are well placed to say come back for a second season but a level up, to him and all the others really. If we choose to of course.