TrueBlueArmy Forums
Cowleys contract? - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Cowleys contract? (/showthread.php?tid=416)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Cowleys contract? - Rick Pumpkin - 24-03-2021

(20-03-2021, 07:05 PM)Roybatty Wrote: I'm still suspicious that the Eisner's have someone else lined up for the summer, Cowleys are on a big bonus if we go up (still a big if) but can't see why,if you have faith in these guys,why not give them a 18 month rolling contract..I stand corrected but still a niggling doubt there

A bit late to the party on this but as I posted on another board it's a bit like when a new girlfriend comes into your life and all you see are the good bits - she's an angel and doesn't have a single fault. Give it a year and she's morphed into a farting, lazy, foul-mouthed she-devil and you're looking to get out as soon as possible.

Bearing that in mind I'm playing the long game on the Cowleys (12-match long game). No doubt they started well with the result and performance improvements on Saturday, and Danny is a polished interviewee saying all the right things, so fingers crossed he stays that way. Watching him talk at the weekend reminded me of a sales director I interviewed a few years back who gave the most polished interview performance I ever witnessed, having us all eating out of his hand. We gave him the job and....he turned out to be like the new girlfriend, great at first but.

I think a 12-match audition is the right thing to do and hope the club are not being underhand by having someone else lined up in the summer, but saying otherwise. If they do a good job, and by 'good job' I don't necessarily mean promotion but improve individual and team performances and show some consistency and continued improvement, then give them a longer deal, sit back and hopefully watch them take the club onwards and upwards.

I like the pair of them and hope it works out, but then again I liked Nicola Vickers when I first met her...

RE: Cowleys contract? - BilltheCat - 24-03-2021

"but then again I liked Nicola Vickers when I first met her..."

Who didn't?

RE: Cowleys contract? - dsmg - 26-03-2021

IMO 12 games is the right way to go. Let’s see what they’ve got. 4 years of Jackett was at times numbingly boring. He was given too long considering what he had at his disposal, so the Cowleys’ short term contract is probably a reaction to that. It’s a win win situation. In many jobs there’s a 3 month trial contract, why not in footy? Makes good sense in the current climate. I’m at least excited at the prospect of seeing better, more attacking football, probably be brought down to earth by the Shrews tomorrow!! One worry for me is trying to make Naylor who’s great in defence and ball-winning into a playmaker. He has problems with a five yard pass ffs