TrueBlueArmy Forums
PL Parachute Payments Query - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: PL Parachute Payments Query (/showthread.php?tid=4271)

PL Parachute Payments Query - suffolkpompey - 18-05-2024

From what I understand relegated premier league clubs receive 4 years of payments on a reducing scale each year. Leicester, Leeds, and Southampton who were relegated 22-23 would have got the first payment for this season just ending. Now 2 of those 3 are going to go straight back up, if either of them get relegated 24-25 season does it revert back to 4 years worth again or would it count as year 2 of the first 4.

RE: PL Parachute Payments Query - Hammie - 18-05-2024

it'll be whatever most favours a team from the world class best anywhere league

RE: PL Parachute Payments Query - tl73 - 18-05-2024

The payments reset with left over money from the previous payments divided up between all premier league clubs.
There will be approximately 100 million in parachute payments voided this season getting returned to the premier league.
If they go back down, they return to year one.

RE: PL Parachute Payments Query - PompeyBlue15 - 19-05-2024

(18-05-2024, 04:27 PM)suffolkpompey Wrote: From what I understand relegated premier league clubs receive 4 years of payments on a reducing scale each year. Leicester, Leeds, and Southampton who were relegated 22-23 would have got the first payment for this season just ending. Now 2 of those 3 are going to go straight back up, if either of them get relegated 24-25 season does it revert back to 4 years worth again or would it count as year 2 of the first 4.

There was a story yesterday that explained that there is £103m going to be saved from the parachute payments due to Leicester and Leeds/Scummers going straight back up. It has been decided that money will be split between the 20 premier league sides next season after a vote on where the money should go was taken by......you guessed it.....the premier league clubs themselves. 

You genuinely couldnt make it up. Each of those sides recieveing just over £5m if split equally like they are all desperate for it. That money should have been split between the EFL clubs. Lets say £2m for championship clubs, £1.5m for L1 clubs and £1m for L2 clubs. Not even to splash on players. That money could have been used to improve clubs grounds, infrastructure, community projects etc etc.

RE: PL Parachute Payments Query - Hammie - 19-05-2024

The prem bosses are already whinging about the possibility of government "interference"
I doubt our parliament could interfere in a European Super league, so bye bye

RE: PL Parachute Payments Query - bluetagagain - 19-05-2024

(19-05-2024, 08:36 AM)The KPompeyBlue15 Wrote:
(18-05-2024, 04:27 PM)suffolkpompey Wrote: From what I understand relegated premier league clubs receive 4 years of payments on a reducing scale each year. Leicester, Leeds, and Southampton who were relegated 22-23 would have got the first payment for this season just ending. Now 2 of those 3 are going to go straight back up, if either of them get relegated 24-25 season does it revert back to 4 years worth again or would it count as year 2 of the first 4.

There was a story yesterday that explained that there is £103m going to be saved from the parachute payments due to Leicester and Leeds/Scummers going straight back up. It has been decided that money will be split between the 20 premier league sides next season after a vote on where the money should go was taken by......you guessed it.....the premier league clubs themselves. 

You genuinely couldnt make it up. Each of those sides recieveing just over £5m if split equally like they are all desperate for it. That money should have been split between the EFL clubs. Let’s say £2m for championship clubs, £1.5m for L1 clubs and £1m for L2 clubs. Not even to splash on players. That money could have been used to improve clubs grounds, infrastructure, community projects etc etc.
TBH why should the money trickle down ? It’s premier league money , nothing to do with the EFL. If the money isn’t needed or used for parachute payments there is no reason  for it to trickle down.

RE: PL Parachute Payments Query - slayer - 19-05-2024

Not happy that they are voting in their own self interest because they aren't voting in ours...

RE: PL Parachute Payments Query - Cunninglinguist - 19-05-2024

(19-05-2024, 12:50 PM)bluetagagain Wrote:
(19-05-2024, 08:36 AM)The KPompeyBlue15 Wrote:

You genuinely couldnt make it up. Each of those sides recieveing just over £5m if split equally like they are all desperate for it. That money should have been split between the EFL clubs. Let’s say £2m for championship clubs, £1.5m for L1 clubs and £1m for L2 clubs. Not even to splash on players. That money could have been used to improve clubs grounds, infrastructure, community projects etc etc.
TBH why should the money trickle down ? It’s premier league money , nothing to do with the EFL. If the money isn’t needed or used for parachute payments there is no reason  for it to trickle down.

Doesn’t the 1.4 million come from the PL? I’m sure I read that.

RE: PL Parachute Payments Query - mikey393 - 19-05-2024

EFL are the poor relations & not well run. Believe they turned down a larger slice of the tv revenue share when it was last negotiated.

RE: PL Parachute Payments Query - Cunninglinguist - 19-05-2024

(19-05-2024, 03:35 PM)mikey393 Wrote: EFL are the poor relations & not well run. Believe they turned down a larger slice of the tv revenue share when it was last negotiated.

Both of your statements need scrutiny, Mikey. 

Why are they not well run?

Why would they turn down extra revenue?

RE: PL Parachute Payments Query - PompeyBlue15 - 19-05-2024

(19-05-2024, 12:50 PM)bluetagagain Wrote:
(19-05-2024, 08:36 AM)The KPompeyBlue15 Wrote:

But the money is going to EFL sides if they dont come straight back up. In the hugely unlikely even that no relegated sides get promotion back within the 3 following years then they could be paying 12 championship teams money. The money is there to help relegated sides in the championship (or lower if they get relegated again straight away id assume), its in a separate pot put aside to help those clubs. If its not needed then why shouldn't/couldn't it be used to help the rest of the 72 clubs even if only a little bit.

RE: PL Parachute Payments Query - bluetagagain - 20-05-2024

Because the EFL has bugger all to with the PL, they are different organisations. The relegated PL teams get parachute payments to help compensate for the higher PL wages they pay out. If they go straight back up they don’t need the remaining payments and the money ‘saved ‘ stays with the PL. it’s quite basic to understand, just because ‘we’ think something else should happen with the money is neither here nor there.

RE: PL Parachute Payments Query - briefcase_wanchor - 20-05-2024

Parachute payments are ridiculous. Take your medicine and don’t pay hugely inflated wages in the first place.

RE: PL Parachute Payments Query - SouthseaBubble - 20-05-2024

(20-05-2024, 12:42 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: Parachute payments are ridiculous. Take your medicine and don’t pay hugely inflated wages in the first place.

Though unless I'm much mistaken, parachute payments were pretty useful to us in our years of decline from 2010 to 2013. But in principle I agree.  There just shouldn't be such a massive financial gap between the Premier League and the rest.  How to plug it is another matter.

RE: PL Parachute Payments Query - Theyak2 - 22-05-2024

The league at most risk must be the championship.
As we well know, unscrupulous owners walk off into the sunset and clubs are left on the verge of unserviceable debt.
I don't know the answers but something must be done to protect the clubs and grass root football.

RE: PL Parachute Payments Query - Lawrence - 22-05-2024

(20-05-2024, 10:28 PM)SouthseaBubble Wrote:
(20-05-2024, 12:42 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: Parachute payments are ridiculous. Take your medicine and don’t pay hugely inflated wages in the first place.

Though unless I'm much mistaken, parachute payments were pretty useful to us in our years of decline from 2010 to 2013. But in principle I agree.  There just shouldn't be such a massive financial gap between the Premier League and the rest.  How to plug it is another matter.

I thought most of our parachute payments were swallowed up by creditors and, once that was exhausted and the carcass was devoid of any meat, then we had the admin fun.

Could be wrong though.

RE: PL Parachute Payments Query - blueandwight - 22-05-2024

I think that the key factor in all this is that the Premier League saving over £100 million on Leicester and Leeds/Scum getting promoted is that they've already decided that that money will stay in the Premier League.

RE: PL Parachute Payments Query - mikey393 - 26-05-2024

(19-05-2024, 06:01 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:
(19-05-2024, 03:35 PM)mikey393 Wrote: EFL are the poor relations & not well run. Believe they turned down a larger slice of the tv revenue share when it was last negotiated.

Both of your statements need scrutiny, Mikey. 

Why are they not well run?

Why would they turn down extra revenue?

Simon Jordan on Talk Sport stayed that was the case.
They took too long to accept the original offer so PL took away & ended up with less cash. I'll try to find the details though.
The PL has a lot more resources & staff.