TrueBlueArmy Forums
Premier league - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Premier league (/showthread.php?tid=4276)

Pages: 1 2

Premier league - Gerry Hatrick - 20-05-2024

It's hard to find anything to admire about Man City's latest title. The club's dominance of the league against the backdrop of financial irregularities which still have not been investigated surely make it a hollow competition.

I suppose you have to give credit to Guardiola for his achievement as a manager but it cannot compare to Alex Ferguson's treble at Man Utd when the Premier League had some credibility. 

All of which has got me thinking about where I want Pompey to go from here. Do we want to join the financial cesspit that the top flight has become? I'm getting on a bit now and would like to see us to achieve one more thing in my lifetime. It's one achievement we have strangely never come close to winning and it's high time we made an impact in this competition. So, for me, the future is about financial stability for our club, consolidation in the second tier and winning the so, so elusive League Cup.

RE: Premier league - Cunninglinguist - 20-05-2024

It’s a poison chalice but I’d like to see a sustainable challenge from Pompey. It’s the only way forward and I gather that we are not the only club that has realised this.

Dreyfus, at Sunderland, seems to have dug his heels in and is determined they aren’t going to try and spend their way to success. Conversely, Hull are playing with fire.

We’ve got a good basis for going forward. The fans need to be sensible and realise what we have.

RE: Premier league - Slagger - 20-05-2024

Establishing Pompey as a good Championship club both on and off the pitch is paramount in my view. Getting ahead of ourselves chasing the Premiership dream in it’s current form is not something I want to see.

RE: Premier league - FiftyYearsOn - 20-05-2024

Agree on the League cup. The last realistic thing to win.

RE: Premier league - kindofblue - 20-05-2024

The Prem in it's current structure can do one in my humble opinion.

RE: Premier league - scouse - 20-05-2024

It'd be nice to watch Liverpool at Fratton Park one more time. I have vague memories of watching Pompey v Liverpool from the Fratton End. Everybody knew I was a red scouser but luckily Pompey won or they'd have beaten the shit out of me anyway.

RE: Premier league - Pedalo_menders - 20-05-2024

As long as we keep winning stuff, that's why we go to games!

I wouldn't mind another European tour, if we're able to ask for miracles!

RE: Premier league - slayer - 20-05-2024

Can we win a playoff? Want that one for my Pompey collector's book

RE: Premier league - Pedalo_menders - 20-05-2024

Only if its beating scum in the final

RE: Premier league - mike hunt - 20-05-2024

There are no playoffs for me only autos, go back to the old way of top 3/4 promoted instead of this insane circus that becomes the playoffs. imagine if we had not crossed the line and lost to the 7th-placed team? Where's the fairness in that? Get rid of the playoffs & Var ruining our Game

RE: Premier league - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 20-05-2024

(20-05-2024, 02:27 PM)mike hunt Wrote: There are no playoffs for me only autos, go back to the old way of top 3/4 promoted instead of this insane circus that becomes the playoffs. imagine if we had not crossed the line and lost to the 7th-placed team? Where's the fairness in that? Get rid of the playoffs & Var ruining our Game

7th? In League 2 I’m guessing is what you are talking about

RE: Premier league - TareeDawg - 20-05-2024

(20-05-2024, 07:55 AM)Slagger Wrote: Establishing Pompey as a good Championship club both on and off the pitch is paramount in my view. Getting ahead of ourselves chasing the Premiership dream in it’s current form is not something I want to see.

I don't think we have anywhere the number of players that have the quality for the Premier league. One of the most salient features in the Prem is the sheer speed of thought and movement, especially up front. We should concentrate on becoming an established Championship team, and with good management we should gradually build up the speed factor over 2-3 years and see where that gets us. Compare Crystal Palace's front players with ours, and there isn't a comparison sadly. Blush

RE: Premier league - Smirnoffexpress - 20-05-2024

(20-05-2024, 07:55 AM)Slagger Wrote: Establishing Pompey as a good Championship club both on and off the pitch is paramount in my view. Getting ahead of ourselves chasing the Premiership dream in it’s current form is not something I want to see.

Same as, fook the Premier league, I’d be more than happy to have Pompey established and being competitive in the Championship. Any club reaching the Premier League, bar about six clubs, are only walk on extras in the big Sky pantomime.

RE: Premier league - 66zoolane - 20-05-2024

(20-05-2024, 04:35 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote:

Same as, fook the Premier league, I’d be more than happy to have Pompey established and being competitive in the Championship. Any club reaching the Premier League, bar about six clubs, are only walk on extras in the big Sky pantomime.

I'd like that top 6/7 elite, some with unlimited/dodgy finances etc, to leave and form their European Superleague, and the rest of us getting a two-level Championship, so we still get highly competitive games, promotion and relegation, while they all go and bore each other in Europe.

RE: Premier league - Hammie - 20-05-2024

I feel like the rest of the world has caught up with me, or maybe people were not saying it. I gave up my ST after one year of the prem last time. Too expensive, not enough games that I could go and see. Now since countries have been allowed to run clubs has made it far worse. Add VAR which takes all the fun out of scoring a goal, which is the whole point of the game really.

RE: Premier league - Smirnoffexpress - 20-05-2024

(20-05-2024, 07:02 PM)66zoolane Wrote:

I'd like that top 6/7 elite, some with unlimited/dodgy finances etc, to leave and form their European Superleague, and the rest of us getting a two-level Championship, so we still get highly competitive games, promotion and relegation, while they all go and bore each other in Europe.

Take Leicester out of the equation but until the advent of Sky all fans of most clubs always had hope. Hope that with a good manager and good player acquisition you had a chance of the dream. In my time following Pompey, I’ve seen provincial clubs like Derby and Forest hit top spot. I’ve seen Aston Villa win the league and seen clubs like Ipswich, that lot down the road and others get very close to winning the league. Sky have drowned that hope, the big get bigger and the rest get by on crumbs. Given that choice of bit part player in the top flight or the Championship, with relegation or play off positions running right to the end of each season and every game being one you could win or lose. I’d take that every day of the week.

RE: Premier league - Hammie - 20-05-2024

not just the prem or sky. The big clubs changed the rules to keep all of the home gate, the away side used to get a share which equalised the finances to a large degree.
We also all know that if you miss out on promotion, you are likely to lose all your best players these days so cannot build a team.

RE: Premier league - exgaffer - 20-05-2024

(20-05-2024, 08:00 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote:
(20-05-2024, 07:02 PM)66zoolane Wrote:

Take Leicester out of the equation but until the advent of Sky all fans of most clubs always had hope. Hope that with a good manager and good player acquisition you had a chance of the dream. In my time following Pompey, I’ve seen provincial clubs like Derby and Forest hit top spot. I’ve seen Aston Villa win the league and seen clubs like Ipswich, that lot down the road and others get very close to winning the league. Sky have drowned that hope, the big get bigger and the rest get by on crumbs. Given that choice of bit part player in the top flight or the Championship, with relegation or play off positions running right to the end of each season and every game being one you could win or lose. I’d take that every day of the week.

I agree with all of that.

I can’t say I yearn for the Prem, overpriced, hyped up beyond belief and virtually no chance of winning it.

The only slightly appealing aspect is when you occasionally get to take the big boys down a peg or two but such times are few and far between.

RE: Premier league - Cunninglinguist - 21-05-2024

(20-05-2024, 07:45 PM)Hammie Wrote: I feel like the rest of the world has caught up with me, or maybe people were not saying it. I gave up my ST after one year of the prem last time. Too expensive, not enough games that I could go and see. Now since countries have been allowed to run clubs has made it far worse. Add VAR which takes all the fun out of scoring a goal, which is the whole point of the game really.

I gave mine up the year we got promoted. I could see the writing on the wall even then. I’m not even sure I like the championship model either, it seems like a PL lite.

RE: Premier league - Smirnoffexpress - 21-05-2024

(21-05-2024, 03:21 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:
(20-05-2024, 07:45 PM)Hammie Wrote: I feel like the rest of the world has caught up with me, or maybe people were not saying it. I gave up my ST after one year of the prem last time. Too expensive, not enough games that I could go and see. Now since countries have been allowed to run clubs has made it far worse. Add VAR which takes all the fun out of scoring a goal, which is the whole point of the game really.

I gave mine up the year we got promoted. I could see the writing on the wall even then. I’m not even sure I like the championship model either, it seems like a PL lite.

And that’s what we face next season, some teams , gambling with parachute payment money, paying just above mediocre players in excess of forty grand a year! With our current regime we cannot compete with that, nor should we try. It’s suicide. Build around our current strengths, if our manager can maintain that togetherness in the squad and bring in three or four better quality players we will do fine. Young , hungry players with a point to prove being far preferable to average, overpaid, been in the Premier league for one season but got relegated big time Charlie’s. We could do a lot worse than recruit players we rated that we played against in league one!

RE: Premier league - dsmg - 21-05-2024

Forty grand Smirnoff? You're having a larf. Most of them get that a month, not a year. Vardy who admittedly is pretty good although is now 37 years old was on 300,000 a month and that without bonuses.

RE: Premier league - Gerry Hatrick - 21-05-2024

(21-05-2024, 03:21 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:

Yeah let's face it, we were better off in League One. How I despaired when we got promotion. Bloody Eisners with their ambition. Mousinho out!

RE: Premier league - Smirnoffexpress - 21-05-2024

(21-05-2024, 07:27 AM)dsmg Wrote: Forty grand Smirnoff? You're having a larf. Most of them get that a month, not a year. Vardy who admittedly is pretty good although is now 37 years old was on  300,000 a month and that without bonuses.

Sorry, slip of the fingers, I meant week? Senile old coont that I am!

RE: Premier league - dsmg - 21-05-2024

Yes, but you're our senile old coont. (That makes about 50 of us on here)

RE: Premier league - scouse - 21-05-2024

Oh yes...