TrueBlueArmy Forums
Back 5 - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Back 5 (/showthread.php?tid=4292)

Back 5 - slayer - 29-05-2024

What do we reckon for next year first choice?

Norris
Swanson McIntyre Shockers Ogilvie

Middle two look ok but concerned about Zac getting caught forward?

RE: Back 5 - Hammie - 29-05-2024

Poole?

I'm pretty sure we are getting a new right back as we can't rely on Swanson's fitness

RE: Back 5 - Rocketman - 29-05-2024

(29-05-2024, 02:06 PM)Hammie Wrote: Poole?

I'm pretty sure we are getting a new right back as we can't rely on Swanson's fitness
I think I read that Poole won't be ready for the start of the season.

RE: Back 5 - slayer - 29-05-2024

How have I forgotten about Poole?! Head in hands

RE: Back 5 - TitchfieldBlue - 29-05-2024

Poole will play if fit.

You can't play Swanson as first choice right back, he's at best a backup player.

Not many of our players can make the step up to the Championship so we need lots of new players.

I think we are nailed on for relegation, as it stands.

Shocknessy was great, but being similar to Raggett, is he a first choice at Champ. Never sure. But then Bradley who we wrote off a few years ago has gone on to play regularly. Hard to tell with central defenders really. As a unit do we have enough pace? Ditto central mid just in front of them.

RE: Back 5 - DeepBlue - 29-05-2024

It doesn't look likely to me that Swanson will stay.

At the moment Poole & Shaughnessy should be the first choice centre backs, with McIntyre replacing either if unavailable. But I'm sure we will sign someone to replace Raggett and whoever that is could be another candidate for first choice.  

No doubt we will sign two right backs (Swanson could maybe be one of them)  and a left back to challenge Ogilvie so it's far to early to be second guessing how we will line up.

RE: Back 5 - bluetagagain - 29-05-2024

Poole is definitely first choice. I think JM will start with Shaugs being as his display last season doesn't warrant him losing his place, but McIntyre pushing him all the way.

RE: Back 5 - TiHKAL - 29-05-2024

(29-05-2024, 02:10 PM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: Poole will play if fit.

You can't play Swanson as first choice right back, he's at best a backup player.

Not many of our players can make the step up to the Championship so we need lots of new players.

Given your record on assessing players and/or matters promotion or relegation, mush, I’d stay away from message boards for a while.

RE: Back 5 - Smirnoffexpress - 29-05-2024

Big Grin If we get relegated, then we get relegated.  Big Grin Pompey is a rollercoaster ride Big Grin

(29-05-2024, 04:22 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote:

Big Grin If we get relegated, then we get relegated.  Big Grin Pompey is a rollercoaster ride Big Grin

If we had never got relegated we would have never won most of our pots.

RE: Back 5 - Cunninglinguist - 29-05-2024

Yep, nothing wrong with relegation.

I look forward to getting relegated from the PL.

RE: Back 5 - BilltheCat - 29-05-2024

Never understood the negativity towards Swanson. Even barring injuries he was never given game time.

When we played Spuds in the cup he was comfortably the best player on the pitch.

RE: Back 5 - Daniel - 30-05-2024

Norris
Poole-Shaughness—McIntyre

With 2 wing backs that can sit against the tougher opponents but bomb on when we get the ball. Think we will be more of a counter attacking team next season s

RE: Back 5 - dsmg - 30-05-2024

Raffs was good at that, Daniel!

RE: Back 5 - Gerry Hatrick - 30-05-2024

That I can remember........(yeah, I know he didn't mean ever)

Fitzroy Simpson - Sol Campbell - Steve Aizlewood - Arjan de Zeeuw - Glenn Johnson

Lots of choices for four of those, struggled over outstanding left-back choices.

RE: Back 5 - DeepBlue - 30-05-2024

(30-05-2024, 08:00 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: That I can remember........(yeah, I know he didn't mean ever)

Fitzroy Simpson - Sol Campbell - Steve Aizlewood - Arjan de Zeeuw - Glenn Johnson

Lots of choices for four of those, struggled over outstanding left-back choices.

Glen Johnson was a right back surely ? 

and Fitzroy Simpson a midfielder ?

RE: Back 5 - bluetagagain - 30-05-2024

John Beresford was one of our best LWB’s

RE: Back 5 - Gerry Hatrick - 30-05-2024

(30-05-2024, 08:57 AM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(30-05-2024, 08:00 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: That I can remember........(yeah, I know he didn't mean ever)

Glen Johnson was a right back surely ? 

and Fitzroy Simpson a midfielder ?

Correct about Johnson. It's just the way I was looking at it on the page - as if from the goalkeeper's perspective. Fitzroy played many times at LB but, like I said, was struggling for memorable names there. Any suggestions?

RE: Back 5 - BilltheCat - 30-05-2024

John Beresford?

RE: Back 5 - dsmg - 30-05-2024

Keith Viney ;-)

RE: Back 5 - DeepBlue - 30-05-2024

Matty Taylor is the obvious one. 

But Belhadj was pretty good there too.

RE: Back 5 - Kingo - 30-05-2024

George Ley, Ray Daniel, Colin Sullivan(in the end)

RE: Back 5 - wjd - 30-05-2024

Think we will sign a right and a left back. Think we will look at getting the Peterborough full back. Shaunessey (sp) will be OK but Poole won't make the season start due to muscle that will need to be rebuilt (his own opinion was that he will be ready in Sept). Did not see enough of McIntyre to have a view whether he is good enough but I can see us signing another central defender with the possibility of Poole going to right back, which he has played in the past.