TrueBlueArmy Forums
Missed the bus? - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Missed the bus? (/showthread.php?tid=4295)

Pages: 1 2

Missed the bus? - blueandwight - 30-05-2024

The job and the acheivements of Messrs Mousinho and Hughes is beyond reproach. League Champions and promotion in their first full season.

We're now going into June and as a lifelong fan  I have one or two concerns.

The retained list has been discussed in some depth and the only real shock is Swanson largely because he's a quality player, his potential and his age. I understand the Raggett decision but can't stop thinking that next season in 'backs to wall' situations he'll be missed. 

Since day one this crew Mousinho/ Hughes and Andy Cullen have been insistent that they like to get their work done early to allow the squad to bond well before the start of the season. Very sensible. Add to that the fact that we won promotion six weeks ago and the winner of the play-off winner was just days ago and the fact that the two automatics had a big advantage over the winners of the repacharge. But nothing has happened at PO4...are there things in the pipeline that we don't know about or have we missed the bus? Just a thought that's all.

RE: Missed the bus? - exgaffer - 30-05-2024

If you are a lifelong fan you will have learned not to get too worked up about things like this.

Don’t panic.

RE: Missed the bus? - teeftwo - 30-05-2024

As the transfer window doesn't open until June 14th it's no surprise nothing other than the retained list has been announced.

RE: Missed the bus? - DeepBlue - 30-05-2024

(30-05-2024, 12:32 PM)blueandwight Wrote: The job and the acheivements of Messrs Mousinho and Hughes is beyond reproach. League Champions and promotion in their first full season.

We're now going into June and as a lifelong fan  I have one or two concerns.

The retained list has been discussed in some depth and the only real shock is Swanson largely because he's a quality player, his potential and his age. I understand the Raggett decision but can't stop thinking that next season in 'backs to wall' situations he'll be missed. 

Since day one this crew Mousinho/ Hughes and Andy Cullen have been insistent that they like to get their work done early to allow the squad to bond well before the start of the season. Very sensible. Add to that the fact that we won promotion six weeks ago and the winner of the play-off winner was just days ago and the fact that the two automatics had a big advantage over the winners of the repacharge. But nothing has happened at PO4...are there things in the pipeline that we don't know about or have we missed the bus? Just a thought that's all.

What makes you think nothing has happened ?  I'm sure the recruitment team have been very busy and I'm sure there will be something to report when the transfer window opens in a couple of weeks time - announcing anything lined up before then is not always a good idea as it allows other teams to try to nick them.

RE: Missed the bus? - Northstandgeorge - 30-05-2024

Didnt stop Rotheram announcing Raggett and Rafferty. How does that work as presumably they were under contract until end of June here.

RE: Missed the bus? - bluebollox - 30-05-2024

(30-05-2024, 01:53 PM)Northstandgeorge Wrote: Didnt stop Rotheram announcing Raggett and Rafferty. How does that work as presumably they were under contract until end of June here.

Pre contract agreements. There has been debate on how binding they are?

RE: Missed the bus? - DeepBlue - 30-05-2024

(30-05-2024, 01:53 PM)Northstandgeorge Wrote: Didnt stop Rotheram announcing Raggett and Rafferty. How does that work as presumably they were under contract until end of June here.

We released them from their contracts.  They've probably signed, or given verbally, some sort of commitment but the fact remains that they cannot be registered as Rotherham players until the window opens.

RE: Missed the bus? - TBP - 30-05-2024

(30-05-2024, 02:04 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:

We released them from their contracts.  They've probably signed, or given verbally, some sort of commitment but the fact remains that they cannot be registered as Rotherham players until the window opens.

The key thing is that there are no outstanding issues with Pompey. The decision is in their hands.

RE: Missed the bus? - wjd - 30-05-2024

Am sure much is underway but the last thing Pompey want to do is alert other clubs regarding who they are looking to sign. Player agents will get involved trying to push for the best deal so until we get to the transfer window opening, don't expect the club to say a word on who may be joining.

RE: Missed the bus? - TitchfieldBlue - 30-05-2024

I think we are in for a long season and I think we are far more likely to get relegated than stay up as it stands.

People on here won't like hearing it, but our squad is not good enough to stay up in the championship.

Plymouth and Sheff Wednesday narrowly stayed up last season and their squads are miles better than ours.

We need a lot of quality players brought in or we are as good as down.

RE: Missed the bus? - Smirnoffexpress - 30-05-2024

(30-05-2024, 05:19 PM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: I think we are in for a long season and I think we are far more likely to get relegated than stay up as it stands.

People on here won't like hearing it, but our squad is not good enough to stay up in the championship.

Plymouth and Sheff Wednesday narrowly stayed up last season and their squads are miles better than ours.

The joke that keeps giving. Moosh, last year you said that we weren’t good enough to get promoted. Big Grin

RE: Missed the bus? - TitchfieldBlue - 30-05-2024

(30-05-2024, 05:29 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote:
(30-05-2024, 05:19 PM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: I think we are in for a long season and I think we are far more likely to get relegated than stay up as it stands.

The joke that keeps giving. Moosh, last year you said that we weren’t good enough to get promoted. Big Grin

Look through Plymouth and Sheff Wed's squads, both stayed up on the last day. Their squads are miles better than ours at this moment in time.

RE: Missed the bus? - teeftwo - 30-05-2024

We haven't signed anyone yet you massive tool.

RE: Missed the bus? - exterminator - 30-05-2024

Rafferty & Raggett are both in their 30s & looking for at least a two year contracts. They obviously wern't going to get a deal from a Championship club but got really good offers from Rotherham that were hard to refuse - they can get their³ families moved & settled in time for the new season. 

We are after better quality younger players who may/may not get offers from other clubs before June 14th. I'm sure Rich Hughes & Co have several 1st choice deals lined up; with fall backs if they don't materialse.

RE: Missed the bus? - Dibdenblue - 30-05-2024

I see Flag Officer Doom and Gloom (FODAG) is spewing his normal tirade of unsupportive nonsense two weeks before the transfer window has even opened.
Like Smirnoff said last season it was all about us not being good enough to get anywhere near promotion. How did that turn out you tool?
Don’t know why you bother posting to this site, You’re an embarrassment you f**kin village.

RE: Missed the bus? - TareeDawg - 31-05-2024

The biggest certainty is that Scum will go down. Pompey will survive ok. Cool

RE: Missed the bus? - firqdays - 31-05-2024

I thought BLUE ARMY/Titfield flyer had gone off to camp outside Dingly Dell Mk 2 ?

RE: Missed the bus? - slayer - 31-05-2024

In the last 6 months of your contract you are open to approach in the Football League. The two players in question were already informed that they would not be offered a new contract at Pompey. Fair game to talk to other clubs and sign them up now whilst their Pompey deals lapse since the season has ended and there are no club duties outstanding.

Source: Trevor Birch

RE: Missed the bus? - DeepBlue - 31-05-2024

(31-05-2024, 09:23 AM)slayer Wrote: In the last 6 months of your contract you are open to approach in the Football League. The two players in question were already informed that they would not be offered a new contract at Pompey. Fair game to talk to other clubs and sign them up now whilst their Pompey deals lapse since the season has ended and there are no club duties outstanding.

Source: Trevor Birch

You can't tell me Rafferty knew he would not be offered a new contract - he sounded devastated when he was told.  Raggett may have seen the writing on the wall but the club deliberately did not tell anyone what was happening about any new deals until after the last game. No-one whose contract was ending knew for certain whether they were being kept or released. 

Yes, they all knew their contracts were ending so were free to look around for new clubs in the last 6 months but nothing I have seen indicates that Rotherham were on the agenda of either of those two players unti after they were told their fate.

RE: Missed the bus? - slayer - 31-05-2024

No one said anything to the contrary. We know they were told only after season's end. The club were clear on that. Their eligibility window to talk to other clubs opened in January this year, however. Being good pros they assumably didn't exercise that right and kept their heads down hoping to earn a new Pompey deal. Rotherham showing interest before or after the players received notice from Pompey is moot.

RE: Missed the bus? - DeepBlue - 31-05-2024

(31-05-2024, 11:01 AM)slayer Wrote: No one said anything to the contrary. We know they were told only after season's end. The club were clear on that. Their eligibility window to talk to other clubs opened in January this year, however. Being good pros they assumably didn't exercise that right and kept their heads down hoping to earn a new Pompey deal. Rotherham showing interest before or after the players received notice from Pompey is moot.

Apologies then,  but when you said " In the last 6 months of your contract you are open to approach in the Football League.  The two players in question were already informed that they would not be offered a new contract at Pompey" something made me think you thought they had already been informed that they would not be offered a new contract at Pompey.  

RE: Missed the bus? - TitchfieldBlue - 31-05-2024

People seem to be forgetting the main reason we went up last season is because we had an outstanding player in Kamara. We would not have gone up without him. People say one man doesn't make a team well I think sometimes it can.

We have an awful lot of work to do to stay up this season.

RE: Missed the bus? - Pedalo_menders - 31-05-2024

In answer to the original question... The buses dont start running for another 2 weeks and there's a bus a day every day for a month after that. We've been sitting at the station for a month now and got some fucking great seats last season (the whole back row).

Whats got you rattled dear?

RE: Missed the bus? - bluetagagain - 31-05-2024

Oh no we haven’t anyone, we’re doomed I tell you,doomed.

RE: Missed the bus? - Hermann's_no_hermit - 31-05-2024

(31-05-2024, 03:34 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: Oh no we haven’t anyone, we’re doomed I tell you,doomed.

As Gaffs said "Don't panic Pike"