TrueBlueArmy Forums
It's there for the taking! - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: It's there for the taking! (/showthread.php?tid=4304)

It's there for the taking! - Mostlysunny - 07-06-2024

Until we see who we're going to bring in during the transfer window, it's too early to predict how Pompey will fare back in the Championship (or Division 2 to give it it's proper name), however, I can't help thinking that it's gonna be much more open this season.

Other than Leeds who I think will dominate the league, I don't see that there's really any stand out Teams. Unlike previous seasons, the 3 Teams coming down from the Prem don't seem to me to be particularly strong and the likes of WBA, Middlesbrough, Norwich etc I reckon will be just as inconsistent as they were last time around.

Oddly enough, looking at League 1 (Division 3) there's 5/6 really strong Teams who'll be pushing hard for promotion...so I'm bloomin glad we're outta there!

Of course I could be wrong, but I really think the Championship will be there for the taking this time around, and we'll see a few surprise Teams in the top six.

RE: It's there for the taking! - TitchfieldBlue - 07-06-2024

I completely disagree. You need to look at things sensibly here. 

Our current squad will get relegated quite easily. We don't even have Kamara anymore who was our best player last season.  We've also lost Raggett, Rafferty etc. 

There is a big difference in quality between league 1 and the championship

We need substantial investment in the playing squad, otherwise we are going straight back down to league one.

Our squad is a long way off competing in the championship.

RE: It's there for the taking! - Mostlysunny - 07-06-2024

(07-06-2024, 08:48 AM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: I completely disagree. You need to look at things sensibly here. 

Our current squad will get relegated quite easily. We don't even have Kamara anymore who was our best player last season.  We've also lost Raggett, Rafferty etc. 

We need substantial investment in the playing squad, otherwise we are going straight back down to league one.

Er.....nowhere did I say that we would be "competing in the Championship", I simply stated that I think the league will be wide open this season.

Seems you were in such a rush to post a negative comment about PFC (as usual TB) that you didn't actually bother to read the original post!

RE: It's there for the taking! - dsmg - 07-06-2024

Titchy, hard to take you seriously when you say we’ve lost Raggett. You slated him at every occasion last season. Must do better

RE: It's there for the taking! - Sharpe* - 07-06-2024

(07-06-2024, 06:25 AM)Mostlysunny Wrote: Until we see who we're going to bring in during the transfer window, it's too early to predict how Pompey will fare back in the Championship (or Division 2 to give it it's proper name), however, I can't help thinking that it's gonna be much more open this season.

Other than Leeds who I think will dominate the league, I don't see that there's really any stand out Teams. Unlike previous seasons, the 3 Teams coming down from the Prem don't seem to me to be particularly strong and the likes of WBA, Middlesbrough, Norwich etc I reckon will be just as inconsistent as they were last time around.

Oddly enough, looking at League 1 (Division 3) there's 5/6 really strong Teams who'll be pushing hard for promotion...so I'm bloomin glad we're outta there!

Of course I could be wrong, but I really think the Championship will be there for the taking this time around, and we'll see a few surprise Teams in the top six.

Should be an interesting season for sure.

Leeds obvious standout as you've said.

Really hope we invest well as its very competitive.

Fingers crossed - they've done well recently.

RE: It's there for the taking! - exterminator - 07-06-2024

(07-06-2024, 08:48 AM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: I completely disagree. You need to look at things sensibly here. 

It is just your sh!t opinion that Kamara was our best player - football is a team game !!

Raggett has never played Championship football - no Championship clubs lining up ro sign him were there.  Rafferty couldn't become  a regular in a mid table Championship side when at Preston. 

How about some patience and wait until we have made some signings before making crass predictions Titfield Thunderbolt.

RE: It's there for the taking! - exgaffer - 07-06-2024

Well as we have absolutely no idea what the squad will look like, it’s a tad premature to make predictions don’t you think? 

Once we have the info we can make a sensible assessment of our chances.

RE: It's there for the taking! - dsmg - 07-06-2024

Raggett did Exterm, for both Norwich and Rotherham

RE: It's there for the taking! - exterminator - 07-06-2024

(07-06-2024, 01:20 PM)dsmg Wrote: Raggett did Exterm, for both Norwich and Rotherham

Ok he did make  2 appearances for Norwich & 7 for Rotherham in the Championship but that is  less than  3% of his 365 league appearances. 

So not a Championship standard player - league 1 is his level.

RE: It's there for the taking! - Cunninglinguist - 09-06-2024

I wouldn’t like it much to see our previous star players fail at a higher level. Much better they move on and play in a division they excel at.

RE: It's there for the taking! - DeepBlue - 09-06-2024

Sean Raggett is a much better player than Sonny Bradley, and he succeeded at Championship level.

RE: It's there for the taking! - Kingo - 09-06-2024

I really don't buy into the labelling of players as championship players or league one/ league two players. There are exceptions, but generally a good player at one level will, given the opportunity, sharpen up when exposed to the next level up, and be decent at that level.

RE: It's there for the taking! - slayer - 09-06-2024

We are well heeled and well run. About a dozen clubs will be looking over their shoulder more than we will be

RE: It's there for the taking! - TitchfieldBlue - 09-06-2024

Not quite sure why people are confident about this season. I think we will struggle badly.

Our squad is worse than the Rotherham squad that finished bottom of the championship last season.

We don't even have Kamara anymore, we relied on him heavily and would not have gone up without him.

RE: It's there for the taking! - Tufnell_Chimes - 09-06-2024

Think I'll wait until we know what squad we'll have. Don't see the point of having any opinion untll then.

RE: It's there for the taking! - Bluestow - 10-06-2024

(09-06-2024, 08:14 PM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: Not quite sure why people are confident about this season. I think we will struggle badly.

Our squad is worse than the Rotherham squad that finished bottom of the championship last season.

We don't even have Kamara anymore, we relied on him heavily and would not have gone up without him.

(yawns and scrolls on)

RE: It's there for the taking! - DeepBlue - 10-06-2024

(09-06-2024, 08:14 PM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: Not quite sure why people are confident about this season. I think we will struggle badly.

Is that the same Rotherham who have just strengthened their squad by signing two players we decided we did not want ? 

Why not save your doom mongering until we know what our squad looks like for next season ?  Doing it now just makes you look very silly.

RE: It's there for the taking! - Theyak2 - 10-06-2024

But we did have him and we won the league.
What's your point?
Let's see what comes through the door.
Raggett's play time will be muted when Regan is back anyways. And BTW, he's a Rolls Royce defender, even for this league

RE: It's there for the taking! - Cunninglinguist - 10-06-2024

(09-06-2024, 08:25 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: Think I'll wait until we know what squad we'll have. Don't see the point of having any opinion untll then.

Where’s the fun in that???

One can only give an opinion on what we know ‘today’. When the changes come (for better or worse) we can change our opinion again. Let’s get some mileage out of it, ya misery!

RE: It's there for the taking! - exgaffer - 10-06-2024

(10-06-2024, 10:13 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote:
(09-06-2024, 08:25 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: Think I'll wait until we know what squad we'll have. Don't see the point of having any opinion untll then.

Where’s the fun in that???

One can only give an opinion on what we know ‘today’. When the changes come (for better or worse) we can change our opinion again. Let’s get some mileage out of it, ya misery!

Well we know that what we know ‘today’ will be changing significantly in the very near future.

There is no point in having an opinion based on an incomplete picture.

All will be revealed in good time.

Well let’s not talk about anything then, cos it’s all going to change significantly.

I want to speculate on who we’re gonna have as the new manager when Mous gets the shove.

I wanna know who we’re gonna buy in the Premier, cos I don’t think this team is gonna do the biz and I can see us coming straight back down to the championship in a year.

RE: It's there for the taking! - exterminator - 10-06-2024

(10-06-2024, 06:24 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: Well let’s not talk about anything then, cos it’s all going to change significantly.

I want to speculate on who we’re gonna have as the new manager when Mous gets the shove.

I wanna know who we’re gonna buy in the Premier, cos I don’t think this team is gonna do the biz and I can see us coming straight back down to the championship in a year.

All you have to do is change " Mous" to "Martin" & you could be posting on a Scum board  Big Grin  Big Grin

Chuckle