TrueBlueArmy Forums
Euro 2024 Tournament - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Euro 2024 Tournament (/showthread.php?tid=4307)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Euro 2024 Tournament - exterminator - 08-06-2024

Ok I'll start.

After England dismal performance ( I only caught the last 15 mins & they looked awful) against The Icemen last night I don't hold out much hope for them. 

It appears  the bookies have installed us as favourites but one or two of Germany, France,Italy, Netherlands and Spain always seem to come good in the latter stages.

England defence is  dodgy & unless 3/4 of our midfielders step up to the plate I can't see us beyond the last 8. 

I'm in Berlin from 25th, we're going to fanzone at Reichstag for England v Slovenia, then on train to Frankfurt for a live game the following evening. We also have some good tickets for last 16 match at Olympiastadion Berlin on Sat 29th.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - Smirnoffexpress - 08-06-2024

A very good group of players that have a good chance of winning it. Their biggest impediment will be the manager. I hope that they do well but I cannot connect with them the way I connect with Pompey. Club first, country very much second for me.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - Rocketman - 08-06-2024

(08-06-2024, 04:35 PM)exterminator Wrote: Ok I'll start.

After England dismal performance ( I only caught the last 15 mins & they looked awful) against The Icemen last night I don't hold out much hope for them. 

It appears  the bookies have installed us as favourites but one or two of Germany, France,Italy, Netherlands and Spain always seem to come good in the latter stages.

England defence is  dodgy & unless 3/4 of our midfielders step up to the plate I can't see us beyond the last 8. 

I'm in Berlin from 25th, we're going to fanzone at Reichstag for England v Slovenia, then on train to Frankfurt for a live game the following evening. We also have some good tickets for last 16 match at Olympiastadion Berlin on Sat 29th.
Keep the faith (for the moment). 
 last World Cup was won by Argentina who lost their opening match v Saudi!

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - DeepBlue - 08-06-2024

Our midfield and attack are as good as any team in the tournament. 

The reason we are unlikely to win it is that our defence would not be in the top 10 there. Kyle Walker is the only defender we've got that is Euro winning class.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - Hammie - 08-06-2024

Don't much matter how good you re going forward, teams that win things do tend to have the best keeper and defence.
And then of course there is the ability to win a couple of penalty shoot outs.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - Lawrence - 08-06-2024

My thoughts and prayers go to anyone who watches a Southgate-managed England friendly - particularly those foolish enough to go to them.

It's like England is managed by Kenny Jackett. Even when we win (usually the pub teams), it feels like a defeat.

The sad fact is there is feck all out there to replace the knobend.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - teeftwo - 08-06-2024

Enjoy Berlin, great city.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - TitchfieldBlue - 08-06-2024

England are not good enough. It's that simple.

France, Germany, Portugal, Italy (European champs and always turn up), and Spain are all better.

Belgium and Holland are as good as England too.

England are massively over hyped.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - mike hunt - 08-06-2024

Gave up on England long ago flatter to deceive, the players are brilliant at their club but dross representing England.

Can't see anything changing this time, unless all the other teams get dissentry and cannot play!

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - exterminator - 08-06-2024

(08-06-2024, 07:58 PM)teeftwo Wrote: Enjoy Berlin, great city.

Yeah, this will be 4th visit to Berlin - was last  there in December to watch Union Berlin play Real Madrid in the Champions League at Olymoiastadion. (UEFA wouldn't let the match be played at the Alte Forestere capacity  22k mostly standing  as it isn't  up to their standard) 

Berlin  Olympiastadion (where Hertha Berlin of Bundesliga 2 currently play)is c75k & it was virtually full. It reminded me (not that I ever went to a match there as PFC didn't play there after I was born)  ) of a  slightly smaller Old Wembley without the pillars. The roof they have is some sort of white tent material supported by stanchions from the back of the stadium.

We're in Berlin for 5 nights plus one in Frankfurt so will be plenty of time for exploring between matches & fanzone visits.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - Bluestow - 08-06-2024

(08-06-2024, 08:40 PM)TitchfieldBlue Wrote: England are not good enough. It's that simple.

France, Germany, Portugal, Italy (European champs and always turn up), and Spain are all better.

Belgium and Holland are as good as England too.

England are massively over hyped.

Might put something on England to win then.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - TareeDawg - 09-06-2024

(08-06-2024, 07:03 PM)Lawrence Wrote:

My thoughts and prayers go to anyone who watches a Southgate-managed England friendly - particularly those foolish enough to go to them.

It's like England is managed by Kenny Jackett. Even when we win (usually the pub teams), it feels like a defeat.

The sad fact is there is feck all out there to replace the knobend.

Maybe Klopp might become England manager in a year. Could do a lot worse.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - slayer - 09-06-2024

Missed our moment IMO. I am expecting a World Cup 2010 sort of tournament and a goodbye to Gareth

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - Tufnell_Chimes - 09-06-2024

According to my wallchart we go out against Italy in the Quarter finals. So yeah, goodbye Gareth.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - exterminator - 09-06-2024

(09-06-2024, 01:39 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: According to my wallchart we go out against Italy in the Quarter finals. So yeah, goodbye Gareth.

Wallchart ffs - that is so 1990s - I'll settle for the Euro2024 App on the Walkabout Dog & Bone.

Next you'll be telling us you have a Panini Sticker Album as well  Big Grin  Big Grin

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - FiftyYearsOn - 09-06-2024

I think they might be Topps sticker albums this time…

(09-06-2024, 02:28 PM)exterminator Wrote:
(09-06-2024, 01:39 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: According to my wallchart we go out against Italy in the Quarter finals. So yeah, goodbye Gareth.

Wallchart ffs - that is so 1990s - I'll settle for the Euro2024 App on the Walkabout Dog & Bone.

Next you'll be telling us you have a Panini Sticker Album as well  Big Grin  Big Grin

Its on the desktop. I guess I could've called it a Euro2024 progress diagram but I thought 'wallchart' would be easier on the ear.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - Hammie - 09-06-2024

a wallchart is always a good thing for my classroom.

Wallcharts are best - its all about sharing the jeopardy.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - exterminator - 09-06-2024

If you download the Euro 2024 App, UEFA are calling The   Wallchart format   "Brackets"  - whatever next  Rolleyes

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - slayer - 10-06-2024

Who do you think we'll get in the round of 16, Tuffnell?

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - Tufnell_Chimes - 10-06-2024

If I've read the wallchart correctly and pre-supposing we win the group (not entirely sure of that) we'll play one of the third place finishers from Groups D, E or F. That could be either Ukraine (Group E), Czech Republic (Group F) or outside chance of Poland (though I heard someone saying that Austria are a dark horse this time around) (Group D).

I'm thinking Czech Republic. If we beat them it puts us inline to go on and meet either Spain, Italy, Croatia (sorry Albania). Assuming Spain win the group and age finally gets to Croatia, I'm thinking we meet with Italy for the quarters. If we do manage to get past them it looks like France for the Semis. I think Portugal could win the whole thing.

If we don't win the group but come second, we go off onto the other side of the compo and have to play the likes of Germany, Spain, Portugal. Don't fancy our chances there much at all.

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - slayer - 10-06-2024

...yeah goodbye Gareth

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - Gerry Hatrick - 10-06-2024

Too much negativity fellas.
Bellingham, Kane, Pickford ...umm...Walker and.....er, ummm...Saka.
THERE is your world class England team capable of winning a tournament.
As long as it's a five-a-side competition, we have nothing to fear.

Altogether now.....It's coming home, it's coming home....hands, touching hands.....(continue ad nauseum)

RE: Euro 2024 Tournament - PompeyBlue15 - 10-06-2024

(10-06-2024, 02:30 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: Too much negativity fellas.
Bellingham, Kane, Pickford ...umm...Walker and.....er, ummm...Saka.
THERE is your world class England team capable of winning a tournament.
As long as it's a five-a-side competition, we have nothing to fear.

Altogether now.....It's coming home, it's coming home....hands, touching hands.....(continue ad nauseum)

Can you name me any of the other countries that have 5+ world class players? Im sure you'll hit me back with a long list of France players, who drew 0-0 at home to Canada in their final friendly before the Euros. 

We have as good a chance of any of the other top nations in this tournament. Not saying we'll win it, not saying we won't. But for the next month im gon a get behind them and would love to see England win something in my lifetime.