TrueBlueArmy Forums
Jack Sparkes - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Jack Sparkes (/showthread.php?tid=4319)

Jack Sparkes - slayer - 19-06-2024

Mous happy with him to push Ogilvie

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/happy-with-what-weve-got-portsmouth-boss-rules-out-strengthening-one-position-during-transfer-window-4671560

Not sure I agree!

RE: Jack Sparkes - exterminator - 19-06-2024

(19-06-2024, 12:49 PM)slayer Wrote: Mous happy with him to push Ogilvie

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/happy-with-what-weve-got-portsmouth-boss-rules-out-strengthening-one-position-during-transfer-window-4671560

Not sure I agree!

I agree with The Moose - JS came along in leaps & bounds last season. 

Now a lot more defensively sound & will be able to cope with fast & tricky wide men in the Championship as shown against that Pish winger. Ogs nay have problems with that type of player in Championship.

RE: Jack Sparkes - Cunninglinguist - 19-06-2024

Sparkes starred early last season but he was rightly criticised for his defensive work. The defensive side of his game improved markedly as the season went on.

Another year on, let’s see how his game improves.

RE: Jack Sparkes - DeepBlue - 19-06-2024

I was very impressed with Sparkes in that spell he had in the team before Christmas. The quality of his crosses was a major factor in our success at that time.  He can also take a decent free-kick. Defensively he is a decent enough tackler but maybe lacks Ogilvie's positional sense & strength.  

Ogilvie is better defensively and will score more goals but Sparkes is perfectly capable of pushing him hard for the left back spot. And if we go with wing-backs at any time he is ideal. 

It was reported that there were championship clubs showing interest in him when he was at Exeter. I see no reason why he can't step up.

RE: Jack Sparkes - Northstandgeorge - 19-06-2024

(19-06-2024, 03:17 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: I was very impressed with Sparkes in that spell he had in the team before Christmas. The quality of his crosses was a major factor in our success at that time.  He can also take a decent free-kick. Defensively he is a decent enough tackler but maybe lacks Ogilvie's positional sense & strength.  

Ogilvie is better defensively and will score more goals but Sparkes is perfectly capable of pushing him hard for the left back spot. And if we go with wing-backs at any time he is ideal. 

It was reported that there were championship clubs showing interest in him when he was at Exeter. I see no reason why he can't step up.

Lack of pace is a problem for him. Does deliver a great cross though

RE: Jack Sparkes - exterminator - 19-06-2024

"Lack of Pace is a problem for him" 

Is that why Jack Sparkes had Kwame Poku the quick, skilful & highly rated Peterborough winger in his pocket when we playedcthem?

RE: Jack Sparkes - Hammie - 19-06-2024

The whole point of bringing in young and youngish and developing is to get just the sort of players that Sparkes is. As with bringing up our own youth, I am most worried about our supporters reaction to them, rather than the ability of the coaching team to improve them.

RE: Jack Sparkes - Cunninglinguist - 19-06-2024

(19-06-2024, 04:21 PM)exterminator Wrote: "Lack of Pace is a problem for him" 

Is that why Jack Sparkes had Kwame Poku the quick, skilful & highly rated Peterborough winger in his pocket when we playedcthem?

Was NSG talking about Og? I’m not sure.

RE: Jack Sparkes - Theyak2 - 19-06-2024

Jack does lack pace, that IS his big problem.
His positional sense got him out of trouble along with Paddy Lane helping out against Poku.
I believe Jack will be better off in front of a left back rather than being the LB!
His strength is his attacking crosses which are brilliant. See 3rd goal against Reading away. Switched 30 yd ball by Robertson before a left wing cross to the far post where colby gives a cushioned header for Devlin to volley in.
One of our best last season.

RE: Jack Sparkes - wjd - 19-06-2024

(19-06-2024, 06:26 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: Jack does lack pace, that IS his big problem.
His positional sense got him out of trouble along with Paddy Lane helping out against Poku.
I believe Jack will be better off in front of a left back rather than being the LB!
His strength is his attacking crosses which are brilliant. See 3rd goal against Reading away. Switched 30 yd ball by Robertson before a left wing cross to the far post where colby gives a cushioned header for Devlin to volley in.
One of our best last season.

RE: Jack Sparkes - wjd - 19-06-2024

Have to disagree with many of you today. For me, Jack Sparkes is never a Championship player. I will be delighted if I am proven wrong but I just dont see it.
The Championship will see far better players in opposition week after week and he was not first choice at Div 1 Level so how he can possibly become so much better in just a few months, I simply do not know.

RE: Jack Sparkes - DeepBlue - 19-06-2024

I wouldn't say he lacks pace but I wouldn't call it a strength either. There are occasions when he has shown some pace....but it is not a side of his game that he uses enough. I would say he sometimes lacks energy and drive and relies too much on the 'cultured' side of his game. Just a bit too laid back sometimes.

I'd be interested to see the sprinting stats from training - I'd be surprised if he was amongst the slow ones, and I'd expect him to be ahead of Ogilvie, for instance..

RE: Jack Sparkes - Hammie - 19-06-2024

might be that Ogilvie thinks quicker? Some of the great players had less pace but very fast up top, both defenders and strikers. Experience helps too.