TrueBlueArmy Forums
Ground development - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Ground development (/showthread.php?tid=4327)

Ground development - stayinupforever - 25-06-2024

I know the work to build the new TV gantry is the latest stage of planned works at FP and that will provide a few extra seats as a by-product, but does anyone know what's next on the agenda?

RE: Ground development - Pedalo_menders - 25-06-2024

Next stage is to argue about a footbridge in Fratton until 2035

RE: Ground development - Milkins - 25-06-2024

My guess is nothing much further will happen under the Eisner's watch.

If they were going to spend real money on the ground (let's say the sort of money way beyond the Supporters Trust budget, but comfortable for the billionaires among us) to punch the capacity up to say 25k or even 30k they would have done so already. Seven years was time enough for that.

Now that we are finally through their (ahem) consolidation period in division one and promoted, it would be obtuse to start knocking the ground about when demand for, and subsequent pricing of existing seats is likely to grow if we survive and thrive.

I suppose on the other hand, grateful dead fans are not always logical.

Confused

RE: Ground development - DeepBlue - 25-06-2024

(25-06-2024, 03:11 PM)Milkins Wrote: My guess is nothing much further will happen under the Eisner's watch.

If they were going to spend real money on the ground (let's say the sort of money way beyond the Supporters Trust budget, but comfortable for the billionaires among us) to punch the capacity up to say 25k or even 30k they would have done so already. Seven years was time enough for that.

Now that we are finally through their (ahem) consolidation period in division one and promoted, it would be obtuse to start knocking the ground about when demand for, and subsequent pricing of existing seats is likely to grow if we survive and thrive.

Confused

Surely 18 million is real money ??

And they made it quite clear they would not expand the capacity significantly before we were in the championship. Given that they have done everything else they said they would do I see no reason to doubt that they will do that too.

RE: Ground development - Pedalo_menders - 25-06-2024

The plan is to build a whopper of a Norf stand. To do that we need a bridge in fratton first. As soon as you see the bridge, that's when you know the capacity expansion is gonna happen.

Nothing can happen until the bridge gets sorted.

RE: Ground development - Hammie - 25-06-2024

and i seem to recall reading that planning permission will not be given until access is improved, ie the footbridge etc. When they get to do it, expect a hotel and boxes.

RE: Ground development - Daniel - 26-06-2024

Nothing can be done till access is sorted. North will probably be done when the bridges is sorted and if we need more the fratton end is built to easily be extended apparently

RE: Ground development - TitchfieldBlue - 26-06-2024

We need to be ambitious and build a 40,000 capacity.

We would fill it when doing well. 

We soldout every league home game last season in league one, and we have a growing season ticket waiting list, the time to expand is now.

No more waiting - get that bridge sorted and then expand the stadium capacity.

RE: Ground development - Milkins - 26-06-2024

(25-06-2024, 03:51 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(25-06-2024, 03:11 PM)Milkins Wrote: My guess is nothing much further will happen under the Eisner's watch.

Confused

Surely 18 million is real money ??

And they made it quite clear they would not expand the capacity significantly before we were in the championship. Given that they have done everything else they said they would do I see no reason to doubt that they will do that too.

I have to say that I no longer get into the weeds of the clubs accounts so you'll need to give me some rope on this and I'll take your number on trust... 

£18m is certainly real money when considering if your family has won the lottery or something similar.

However, if you're looking at capital investment in a multi million pound business, (that was bought with the knowledge that lots of work needed doing and that £5m was already budgeted by the Trust to start the work) then divided over their seven years in ownership, then at £2.5m pa, it is not so much "real money". 

It's been enough to keep things ticking along, but not enough to fundamentally improve the revenue model for the business. Only more seats, amenities and facilities, outside of tv revenue and sponsorship can do that (and at the say time improve the "eat-what-you-kill" numbers).

For real and major investment in the ground, we are looking at something like (plucking a number out of the wild blue yonder) say £50m. Those sort of numbers are way beyond a Trust owned club, and into the realms of billionaire owners or financial juggernaut businesses. I assume that this is the sort of number kicked around for a new North Stand and extras. But let's get real here. So far the Eisner's have kept things ticking along, but do they really have the appetite for that sort of game changing investment? I'm not sure, and to be honest, wouldn't blame them if they don't.

Next point to consider on this is the timing of any major investment. I am aware of what's been said on timing "we need to be back in the championship before" so it doesn't need to be rehashed.... But let's be honest, most of us are aware that the finances in the championship are eye-watering at best. It seems, many of the players expect quasi premier wages, but the tv money is not good enough (net of parachute payments) to support them, and yet clubs, desperate for promotion indulge. 

So with this background, would any sensible business with an aim to make major, game changing capital investment choose that as the time to knock down and rebuild a chunk of the stadium? If it was genuinely part of the plan, wouldn't it have been more sensible to take the infrastructure hit earlier, when operating costs and pressure on survival was less likely to be knife-edge, and then start to reap the benefits in the championship?

Just my thoughts...

RE: Ground development - Pedalo_menders - 26-06-2024

I think its the owners not knowing that we are fooking massive.

They do like to do things on the cheap (not moaning) and probably didn't anticipate demand easily outstripping supply as quickly as it has. It's a safe option to tart up the park at a relatively low % of revenue per year.

They do seem to have a plan to build bigger but they didn't know enough about us to spank 50-80m on a new northstand without being certain we would fill it. There are also the infrastructure issues that need to get sorted first.

If your modus operandi is safety first, you do exactly what they've done.

RE: Ground development - Daniel - 26-06-2024

Personally think there first focus will be keeping us in the championship and then getting us to be a main fixture there. Then the next push will happen

RE: Ground development - mikey393 - 26-06-2024

Staying in the Championship is the priority before we look to expand further. FP will be sold out every home game. Cup games will be the best source of tickets for Non-Season ticket holders.

RE: Ground development - Hammie - 26-06-2024

(26-06-2024, 07:16 PM)mikey393 Wrote: Staying in the Championship is the priority before we look to expand further. FP will be sold out every home game. Cup games will be the best source of tickets for Non-Season ticket holders.

As long as going to the early rounds gets you a ticket for the later rounds. 
Needs to be active encouragement for ST holders who don't go to games, to release their seat for the rest of the supporters. Sitting in the Fratton End with an entire row empty on a Tuesday night, is annoying.