TrueBlueArmy Forums
Josh murphy - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Josh murphy (/showthread.php?tid=4328)

Pages: 1 2

Josh murphy - PompeyBlue15 - 25-06-2024

Set to sign a 3 year deal!

Be a great signing if he can continue his last couple of months at oxford from last season!

RE: Josh murphy - Theyak2 - 25-06-2024

Let's hope this goes through. He's played well for the last couple of months at Oxford.
He's in his prime, so this has to be right for both parties!

RE: Josh murphy - D'Alessandro dreaming - 25-06-2024

Done deal. That’s a signing to liven up what had been a dull window for Pompey so far. Plenty more to come one hopes.

Portsmouth have signed Josh Murphy on a 3 year deal!
Welcome to Pompey Josh!
A great piece of business that is sure to upset Oxford fans.
They will probably claim that he has only come good in his last 6 months of his contract and that maybe a fair statement.
But he did come good and without him they probably wouldn't be in the championship.
Both our signings so far are built around pace.
It's their loss of either not selling the club and it's immediate future or they simply wouldn't go above a ceiling they have set.
We know Pompey are being run on a very good business model. Josh does not fit that model in as far as being younger to sell on but they do have a vision of where they want to go and JM and the training facilities are now at a level that people want to come here.
There seems to be a very good feel about us at the moment.
Congratulations to all concerned in this endeavour. Very slick, very quick and looking good.
Play up Pompey

RE: Josh murphy - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 25-06-2024

I wonder if Titchfield Blue approves of this signing…

Of course he'll be negative. That's what he does!

RE: Josh murphy - TBP - 26-06-2024

10 goals in 62 games at Oxford. Anyone know which side he likes to play?

RE: Josh murphy - Robsquad - 26-06-2024

Very good signing but is he going to be as good as Kamara was?

Who would you rather have Murphy or Kamara?

Getting Murphy on a free means funds spent elsewhere.

RE: Josh murphy - simonfkwit - 26-06-2024

(26-06-2024, 06:06 AM)Robsquad Wrote: Getting Murphy on a free means funds spent elsewhere.

Yes. Elsewhere like his wages and signing on fee.

RE: Josh murphy - DeepBlue - 26-06-2024

He's a very good signing, but for me the most important thing about the signing is that we can compete with, and beat, the host of other championship clubs that were after him too.

And have we ever signed a player who has previously been sold for 11 miilion ?

RE: Josh murphy - JIMBON - 26-06-2024

I see in a reply where his partner, Scarlett Matthews, comments about leaving Oxford there is a Pompey fan welcoming them and Scarlett says 'Its good to be home'. So is she a Portsmouth lass that may also have helped influence his decision?

RE: Josh murphy - Theyak2 - 26-06-2024

He can play as left or right wing. At Norwich is was definitely off the left wing.

RE: Josh murphy - TitchfieldBlue - 26-06-2024

10 goals in 62 league games for Oxford in league one. Bit underwhelming.

Hopefully he does well though.

I see the fickleness of football fans coming out on the yellows forum right now.
Some saying they dodged a bullet by not getting him to sign a two year deal and that we are taking a risk on a 3 year deal.
Josh is 29 and not 30 until next year!
Just two weeks ago oxford utd signed Will Vaulkes from Sheffield Wed on a two year deal when the player himself is 31 already.
You couldn't make it up.
It has to be said plenty of them wish the player well and thank his efforts over the last 6 months.

RE: Josh murphy - teeftwo - 26-06-2024

Was Kamara better? Maybe, maybe not. We wouldn't be able to afford Kamara now even if the club let him go, I think he's destined for a higher level.

The benefit of Kamara for us from last season is in how much he improved. This will stand us in good stead for being trusted with quality loans from Premier League sides.

(26-06-2024, 07:20 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: He's a very good signing, but for me the most important thing about the signing is that we can compete with, and beat, the host of other championship clubs that were after him too.

Robert Prosinecki.

RE: Josh murphy - Cliff Portwood gave me a lift - 26-06-2024

I'm Cardiff based and it seems that the prevailing vibe from Bluebird regulars was frustration that so much talent didn't deliver for them. Perhaps losing the 11M expectations, a good end at Oxford and JM's nurturing will bring us his golden years. Just wonder if 2 years might have been better - but then we don't know what others might have offered. Unless you are protecting a big transfer fee, 2 years seems the norm below the Prem.

Oxford wanted to offer him £18k and make him their highest ever paid player!!
That was over 2 years.
We have offered a 3 year deal. I suspect at £12k a week. He'd still earn more with us over 3 years and it makes sense.
Oxford have recently incurred the wrath of the football authorities and the plan their may have looked a lot less rosier than the current set up at fratton.
We just seem to be in a good place both on and off the field.

RE: Josh murphy - slayer - 26-06-2024

Good Abu replacement. Hughes wins again

RE: Josh murphy - DeepBlue - 26-06-2024

(26-06-2024, 08:14 AM)simonfkwit Wrote:
(26-06-2024, 07:20 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: He's a very good signing, but for me the most important thing about the signing is that we can compete with, and beat, the host of other championship clubs that were after him too.

Robert Prosinecki.

Good shout. 

He went for 15m Euros in 1991 ... I wonder what that was in pounds back then ?  I think it would be very close to 11m, maybe just above, maybe just below. 

I can't think of anyone else though.

RE: Josh murphy - Cunninglinguist - 26-06-2024

If he’s set to play on the left then that allows Lane to play on the right, where he’s much more effective.

RE: Josh murphy - Rocketman - 26-06-2024

(26-06-2024, 11:15 AM)DeepBlue Wrote:

Robert Prosinecki.

Good shout. 

He went for 15m Euros in 1991 ... I wonder what that was in pounds back then ?  I think it would be very close to 11m, maybe just above, maybe just below. 

If he went for 15m Euros in 1991, that makes him about 55 now. Bit old for us  Big Grin

RE: Josh murphy - bluetagagain - 26-06-2024

(25-06-2024, 10:36 PM)West Australian Portsmouth Fan Wrote: I wonder if Titchfield Blue approves of this signing…

Who gives a fvck

Robert Prosinecki.

Good shout. 

Good point, I was thinking of the current exchange rate, forgetting the good old days where the pound was worth something.

Oops politics...

RE: Josh murphy - Northstandgeorge - 26-06-2024

(26-06-2024, 04:13 PM)simonfkwit Wrote:

Robert Prosinecki.

Good shout. 

Good point, I was thinking of the current exchange rate, forgetting the good old days where the pound was worth something.

Oops politics...

I think Crouch went to liverpool for certainly north of £10M not sure if it was £11m