TrueBlueArmy Forums
Traffic on match days. - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Traffic on match days. (/showthread.php?tid=4337)

Traffic on match days. - stayinupforever - 28-06-2024

As we're going to have 20k+ at every home game this season I wonder whether the club,council and police have come up with a system to help traffic leave more quickly after a game?

RE: Traffic on match days. - mikey393 - 28-06-2024

Good idea & can't see it unless they introduce a Park & ride scheme from Tipnor.

The Good Companion won't be able to cope with away supporters & parking round the ground!

RE: Traffic on match days. - DeepBlue - 28-06-2024

(28-06-2024, 03:23 PM)stayinupforever Wrote: As we're going to have 20k+ at every home game this season I wonder whether the club,council and police have come up with a system to help traffic leave more quickly after a game?

we had 20k+ last season ... so what's the difference ? 

It's ony a problem getting away afterwards if you park too close to the ground. A ten minute walk in any direction and it's not a problem at all.

RE: Traffic on match days. - FiftyYearsOn - 28-06-2024

Always wondered whether a period of permanent green lights heading out of city on Eastern Rd would work, a bit like you have leaving Wembley.

RE: Traffic on match days. - Hammie - 28-06-2024

I never quite get the huge rush to get home 5 minutes quicker. To..... sit on the settee

RE: Traffic on match days. - Cunninglinguist - 28-06-2024

I always preferred waiting for the traffic to ease, from the comfort of the Meon.

RE: Traffic on match days. - teeftwo - 28-06-2024

If I get there early enough to pay to park at Milton Cross Academy it's a quick enough exit. So many places I used to park at are permit only now.

RE: Traffic on match days. - briefcase_wanchor - 28-06-2024

I quite often end up near the seafront and take in a couple of juicers en route.

RE: Traffic on match days. - Daniel - 29-06-2024

They should use the big car parks opposite king George playing fields (lakeside north harbour I think it’s called) as a match day park and ride easy to get back on to the 27 from there as well.

Also the traffic lights on eastern road need to prioritise cars leaving the game for a hour after

RE: Traffic on match days. - Hammie - 29-06-2024

The trouble with park and ride, and I am much in favour, is how often could buses do the return trip on match day? The better solution might be to improve Fratton station and do a park and ride on the trains, but I can't think of anywhere with car parks other than Gunwharf/town and back to Fratton.

RE: Traffic on match days. - Daniel - 29-06-2024

(29-06-2024, 07:07 AM)Hammie Wrote: The trouble with park and ride, and I am much in favour, is how often could buses do the return trip on match day? The better solution might be to improve Fratton station and do a park and ride on the trains, but I can't think of anywhere with car parks other than Gunwharf/town and back to Fratton.

That’s why I mentioned north harbour lake or what ever it’s called . Off the island and east to get back off the moter way

RE: Traffic on match days. - exgaffer - 29-06-2024

(29-06-2024, 07:47 AM)Daniel Wrote:
(29-06-2024, 07:07 AM)Hammie Wrote: The trouble with park and ride, and I am much in favour, is how often could buses do the return trip on match day? The better solution might be to improve Fratton station and do a park and ride on the trains, but I can't think of anywhere with car parks other than Gunwharf/town and back to Fratton.

That’s why I mentioned north harbour lake or what ever it’s called . Off the island and east to get back off the moter way

I think anyone who drives into Pompey on match days is a masochist.

Go to the nearest station and take the train, far less stressful imo.

its how the buses do the last mile or so to get close to Fratton, that I'm not sure will work. Unless a road such as Goldsmith Avenue is closed on match days.
When I sold programmes, my best spot was where the Hard special buses set down. They used to be rammed.

RE: Traffic on match days. - slayer - 29-06-2024

There's a little housing estate opposite Fratton Park called Rowan something on the Haslemere Road junction. Fake permit signs, no permits, about 20 spaces. Handy on a Tuesday night

RE: Traffic on match days. - Cliff Portwood gave me a lift - 29-06-2024

Here in Cardiff the schools near to the ground have a nice little earner selling spaces.. Maybe there a few opportunities along the Eastern Road in the same vein? People in my old road off of Velder used to put ladders/chairs and whatever to stop the parking!

(29-06-2024, 12:05 PM)Cliff Portwood gave me a lift Wrote: Here in Cardiff the schools near to the ground have a nice little earner selling spaces.. Maybe there a few opportunities along the Eastern Road in the same vein? People in my old road off of Velder used to put ladders/chairs and whatever to stop the parking!

Milton Cross got into this as soon as they opened and ever since. Most schools completely ignore the money making possibilities of their car parks, while complaining that they have no money.

RE: Traffic on match days. - Lawrence - 29-06-2024

Public transport is a lottery. And that's just from Cosham. It's a risk just getting the train that will get you there in the most reasonable time as when it's late then you're fecked. As for the return, as I've said before many times, at the weekends, the first couple of trains are 2 or 4 carriage trains so its everyone for themselves. With night games, there are just a couple of trains available and I often get open after 11pm. Gone are the days that BR used to rustle up a 12 carriage train out from the depot to get rid of the fans as quickly as possible. I used to from ground to home in 30 minutes.

(29-06-2024, 01:55 PM)Lawrence Wrote:

Public transport is a lottery. And that's just from Cosham. It's a risk just getting the train that will get you there in the most reasonable time as when it's late then you're fecked. As for the return, as I've said before many times, at the weekends, the first couple of trains are 2 or 4 carriage trains so its everyone for themselves. With night games, there are just a couple of trains available and I often get open after 11pm. Gone are the days that BR used to rustle up a 12 carriage train out from the depot to get rid of the fans as quickly as possible. I used to from ground to home in 30 minutes.

Well there’s no doubt that the train service could be better but I always? manage to get on the train even though extra carriages for the night trains would be welcome.

Home after 11pm? Fuck me what a disaster, are you worried about turning into a pumpkin or something?

RE: Traffic on match days. - slayer - 29-06-2024

Gaff doesn't need to be home before 11pm therefore no one needs to home before 11pm

RE: Traffic on match days. - BilltheCat - 29-06-2024

Try getting back to London after an evening kick-off. I don't get home until well after 1am.

it was always the aim to get back to the local by ten or half ten, depending on the time of year for us in sunny Soufsea (away games)

RE: Traffic on match days. - Hermann's_no_hermit - 29-06-2024

(29-06-2024, 05:34 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: Try getting back to London after an evening kick-off. I don't get home until well after 1am.

Try getting to Herne Bay (in Kent). It's drive or not go for me.

(29-06-2024, 06:50 PM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote:
(29-06-2024, 05:34 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: Try getting back to London after an evening kick-off. I don't get home until well after 1am.

Try getting to Herne Bay (in Kent). It's drive or not go for me.

Fair point  Big Grin .

Your journey would be much easier if people who live just up the road could leave their cars behind though.

RE: Traffic on match days. - stayinupforever - 30-06-2024

(29-06-2024, 08:37 AM)exgaffer Wrote:

I think anyone who drives into Pompey on match days is a masochist.

Go to the nearest station and take the train, far less stressful imo.
The train is ok if you live near enough and gave time to get back home after a game.