TrueBlueArmy Forums
next pitch upgrade - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: next pitch upgrade (/showthread.php?tid=4338)

next pitch upgrade - Hammie - 28-06-2024

I read somewhere that Pompey will have to yet again upgrade the pitch as the current work is coming to the end of its life. 
But the next upgrade involves a lot of plastic within the actual pitch.
Should the prem especially with all the money they have, be adding plastic to the watercourse? 
Going back, some groundsmen such as Dougie Read seemed capable of making a perfectly good natural grass pitch.

RE: next pitch upgrade - exterminator - 28-06-2024

Yes, next summer the pitch I understand will be completely dug up, hopefully they will install some undersoil heating. A modern  hybrid  pitch will be installed- don't see how that can put plastic in the watercourse unless the plastic element is tiny  plastic pellets which I doubt would be allowed.

Duggie Reid was groundsman in the 1960/70s - his pitches were superb compared to the ploughed fields of other teams. The pitches IIRC were higher in the middle than at the sides to facilitate drainage. However it wouldn't stand an earthly against the modern billiard table type playing surface.

RE: next pitch upgrade - Hammie - 28-06-2024

What makes it hybrid?

RE: next pitch upgrade - exterminator - 29-06-2024

(28-06-2024, 09:15 PM)Hammie Wrote: What makes it hybrid?

Natural grass c97% is woven with synthetic fibres c3% to produce what they call " hybrid".

RE: next pitch upgrade - Hammie - 29-06-2024

and its those synthetic fibres that worry me

RE: next pitch upgrade - DeepBlue - 30-06-2024

Pretty sure we were told the current pitch is hybrid too and going by the pictures of the ground improvements has had a pretty major overhaul this summer.

RE: next pitch upgrade - exterminator - 30-06-2024

(30-06-2024, 09:59 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: Pretty sure we were told the current pitch is hybrid too and going by the pictures of the ground improvements has had a pretty major overhaul this summer.

Yes, you are correct DB, the current pitch was laid in Summer 2019, it is hybrid & I recall that they installed the pop up sprinkler system at the same time.  

However as with anything "modern" there is research going on all the time to create a better product or procedure & this one is now considered old technology.   

They also have a limited time span  and this one is  approaching the end of it's life so a  major upgrade is planned for next summer.

RE: next pitch upgrade - Hammie - 30-06-2024

The limited time span, I wonder what happens to the hybrid part after? All grass/soil composts perfectly. A small plastic component means none of it can be "recycled"

RE: next pitch upgrade - DeepBlue - 30-06-2024

(30-06-2024, 04:04 PM)Hammie Wrote: The limited time span, I wonder what happens to the hybrid part after? All grass/soil composts perfectly. A small plastic component means none of it can be "recycled"

The new generation of hybrid pitches are 100% recyclable ... Wembley for instance has one of them.

RE: next pitch upgrade - Hammie - 30-06-2024

Which is good to know, so what is the hybrid component that is recyclable? Is it like the packaging for such as orange juice which is recyclable but not recycled by any local authority?

RE: next pitch upgrade - DeepBlue - 01-07-2024

(30-06-2024, 07:29 PM)Hammie Wrote: Which is good to know, so what is the hybrid component that is recyclable? Is it like the packaging for such as orange juice which is recyclable but not recycled by any local authority?

Described as 'synthetic fibre' which gets mixed in with roots ... the grass bit that grows is apparently 100% grass.

RE: next pitch upgrade - Hammie - 01-07-2024

that is worrying, plastic fibres mixed into the substrate