TrueBlueArmy Forums
What players would you keep for next season? - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: What players would you keep for next season? (/showthread.php?tid=495)

What players would you keep for next season? - Trebilcock70 - 13-04-2021

For me: McG (as a back up); Jack W; after that I’m struggling. Probably wouldn’t keep Naylor either - he’s no Mick Kennedy is he. I’d also get rid of anyone who’s had a hand in the recruitment of KJ’s players in the last few years

RE: What players would you keep for next season? - ForeverPompey - 13-04-2021

Johnson. Still have hopes for cannon. Close has looked ok. We miss Brown because Daniels is so poor. It’s a pretty thin list.

RE: What players would you keep for next season? - Hammie - 13-04-2021

Johnson, Close.
Try and get Haunstraup back with Brown on the left.
In a poor side Marquis is still approaching 20 goals, add another striker to play with him who can get more than ten goals and we would be approaching a promotion side.
Keep McG and see what the situation will be with Bass there are rumours of offers coming in
I like Williams and think he suits the game the Cowleys want to play.
I actually think Harrison has something about him but only if the Cowleys think they can get 10 or more goals from him.
Jack and Raggett are probably a decent pair for this league but Nichaelson might suit better than Raggy playing out from the back.
Remembering what Cook said about too many player changes before he arrived, meaning we were not as good at home as we might have been..... I'd be cautious about making too many changes just for the sake of it. I suspect the Cowleys think we have a more than decent squad which has been under performing but need to add some energy and make sure we have a squad of say 20 who are all pushing strongly for the first team. We seem to have too many players in some positions, not enough in the obvious places and some dead wood (again obvious) to clear out for some younger legs with the ability to pass the ball at speed.

RE: What players would you keep for next season? - bluetagagain - 14-04-2021

Jack,Curtis and McG. The rest can fark orf

RE: What players would you keep for next season? - DeepBlue - 14-04-2021

(13-04-2021, 09:41 PM)Trebilcock70 Wrote: For me: McG (as a back up); Jack W; after that I’m struggling. Probably wouldn’t keep Naylor either - he’s no Mick Kennedy is he. I’d also get rid of anyone who’s had a hand in the recruitment of KJ’s players in the last few years

Assuming we are still in league 1 I would keep McG, Bass, Johnson, Mnoga, Whatmough, Naylor, Brown (as backup), Close, Harness or Williams but not both, & Cannon. Plus Teggart. Stanley, Kavanagh, Bell, Lee  & Jewitt-White.   

I'd sell Curtis, Harrison, Marquis and Harness or Williams to provide 3 million or so to rebuild the squad.  

But the reality is that no-one who is not out of contract is likely to leave - except those that we would want to keep.

And on reflection I think I'd keep Raggett too.

RE: What players would you keep for next season? - Pedalo_menders - 14-04-2021

Keep:
Mac Gillivray - Decent L1 keeper. Needs to work on long range shot stopping. Very good at saving our blushes and has definitely earned a new contract.

Whatmough - Our only competent CB

Brown - As back up. Not fit enough for a regular starting spot and a very average player. Crossing is atrocious.

Close - Not going to find another L1 player as good at passing as he is without eating into the budget.

Naylor - We have no replacement for him. Does a lot of dirty work. We desperately need a like for like backup for him.

Harness- has shown he is a decent player in stops and starts. Needs more coaching to get consistent.

William's- Above average L1 player. Gets into decent positions and never stops running.

Jacobs - let's hope he can stay fit

Johnson - Has been ok.

Cash in on:
Cannon, Marquis, Curtis - should get us some decent money to rebuild with.

Desperately need to get rid:
Bolton, Downing, Raggett, Harrisson - All garbage

Loans: Renew Nicolaisen if he wants to stay. The rest havent done much to help the cause. Maybe see if Daniel's wants to hang around and coach dead ball deliveries.

RE: What players would you keep for next season? - Hammie - 14-04-2021

Thinking about what the Cowleys have been saying about wanting Jack to talk, lead etc etc. and his being a class act. I wonder if they are heading for making him captain as a hook to keep him if they are in charge next season.

RE: What players would you keep for next season? - The Realist - 15-04-2021

Think the Cowleys probably need to bring a captain in if they can, as the team has looked woefully short of any on-field leadership over the last couple of seasons. Not sure Harry was a tactical genius but he always had leaders on the pitch when things got tough.

RE: What players would you keep for next season? - Hammie - 15-04-2021

Not sure Harry was a tactical genius but he always had leaders on the pitch when things got tough.
better than he is given credit for tactically (according to Merse in his biography anyhow)
Could sure do with someone able to bring in a couple of nearly past it but excellent for just one more season to guide some younger legs.

RE: What players would you keep for next season? - ForeverPompey - 17-04-2021

The more I watch on ifollow the more I think we could really do with starting again and clear as many out as possible.

RE: What players would you keep for next season? - Peter_Mellor's_Got_No_Hair - 18-04-2021

(17-04-2021, 12:19 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: The more I watch on ifollow the more I think we could really do with starting again and clear as many out as possible.

I agree completely. Mac, Curtis and take a risk on Jack, but the rest can go as far as i'm concerned. I have the feeling that there is not enough desire in the team to get promoted, because most know they wouldnt get a new contract or would be played if we did go up.

You generally need 27 wins to go up, and for the last 3 seasons this squad just falls short of that. Then add the complete disappearance in the play offs. Don't get me wrong, we have and have had players who want to go up (Clarke, Lowe, Chaplin, Whatmough and Curtis). They were hungry for promotion, and the first 3 are proving their credentials. Trouble is you need 8 or 9 desperate for promotion not just 2 or 3. Our squad has a lot of players who have been relegated from the championship and i believe that they know that they cant hack it in that league.

If you keep the same squad, then you will get the same result......i.e. nearly!

However, the real issue or question when considering who should go, is can we recruit better than? I think there is a problem with our current scouting.

RE: What players would you keep for next season? - Wightblue - 18-04-2021

Not just our scouting, Pompey identified Sammy Smodics as a midfield target (as did Sunderland apparently) but he chose Posh, rumours of family connections in the Peterborough area but I believe that Posh offered him something we (and Sunderland couldn’t/ wouldn’t). We can identify all the players we want but if we can’t close a deal to get them then it’s all for nothing. There have been plenty of others who we let slip through our fingers in recent seasons.

Smodics would have made such a difference this season, when I watch Quest it’s obvious from the little snatches they show that he is head and shoulders above any Pompey midfielder and his 14 League goals from midfield puts him almost on a par with Marquis......and I wouldn’t bet against him topping JMs tally by season end

RE: What players would you keep for next season? - TheSyrup - 18-04-2021

None of them, they are physically and mentally weak.
No exemptions

RE: What players would you keep for next season? - Smirnoffexpress - 18-04-2021

You are not wrong. Really, really not fit to wear our shirt.

RE: What players would you keep for next season? - Bluebob - 18-04-2021

(18-04-2021, 03:28 PM)Wightblue Wrote: Not just our scouting, Pompey identified Sammy Smodics as a midfield target (as did Sunderland apparently) but he chose Posh, rumours of family connections in the Peterborough area but I believe that Posh offered him something we (and Sunderland couldn’t/ wouldn’t). We can identify all the players we want but if we can’t close a deal to get them then it’s all for nothing. There have been plenty of others who we let slip through our fingers in recent seasons.

Smodics would have made such a difference this season, when I watch Quest it’s obvious from the little snatches they show that he is head and shoulders above any Pompey midfielder and his 14 League goals from midfield puts him almost on a par with Marquis......and I wouldn’t bet against him topping JMs tally by season end

That’s why I question how good Catlin is when negotiating player’s contracts.

RE: What players would you keep for next season? - Rick Pumpkin - 18-04-2021

Jack and, possibly, Callum Johnson. We've no one else in the squad who could truly be said to be a potential promotion squad player.

RE: What players would you keep for next season? - Jizbag - 19-04-2021

Johnson, Close, Whatmough, Mac, possibly Raggett. If Nicolaisen can be purchased then him too. Oh and Mnonga. Brown as back up.

Get rid of the rest of the bottle jobs including Catlin.

RE: What players would you keep for next season? - bluetagagain - 19-04-2021

Mac Gillivray - Decent L1 keeper. Needs to work on long range shot stopping. Very good at saving our blushes and has definitely earned a new contract.

Whatmough - Our only competent CB - keep

Brown - a very average player.- bin

Close - Very average L1 at best - bin

Naylor - average, maybe keep as a squad player 

Harness- no matter how much you coach him he’ll still be consistent.- sell/ bin
Williams-no end product but never stops running. Same as a greyhound- sell/ bin

Jacobs -injury prone - bin

Johnson - ok maybe keep as a squad player

Cannon - average - bin

Marquis - useless sell/ bin

Curtis - should get us some decent money to rebuild with.

Bolton - average - bin

Downing - put down/ bin  

Raggett- average bin or keep as 4th choice

Harrison - See Downing
Anyone not mentioned- bin