TrueBlueArmy Forums
The Ipswitch Game. - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The Ipswitch Game. (/showthread.php?tid=50)

The Ipswitch Game. - hilsea12 - 12-12-2020

0-1 to Pompey, scorer Williams.

RE: The Ipswitch Game. - hilsea12 - 12-12-2020

0-2 that man Williams again

RE: The Ipswitch Game. - BilltheCat - 12-12-2020

Got to be honest he would never be my first choice but fair-do's to him!

I would agree with that, but as they say every Dog has it's day, good luck to the Lad,

Ollie Hawkins is on, I hope the dreaded ex-player Sindrome doesn't occur.

A very good result, and other matches went for us as well.

RE: The Ipswitch Game. - Pangus - 12-12-2020

Great performance possibly the best of the season. Fantastic show by Williams who was a revelation not just for his two goals. Never in any trouble and having hit the bar twice we should have got more goals. Whatmough and Raggett are immense and its developed into a very strong partnership, lets hope there is no injury in there. Our pressing was the key to the game and the work rate was very high. Only one weak point was Curtis who was generally poor and kept giving away free kicks.

RE: The Ipswitch Game. - Gerry Hatrick - 12-12-2020

Already in a leading position compared to last year when, after 17 games we had 27 points. January is going to be crucial in separating us from the other would be top twos. Of these I would select Charlton with new owners and investment coming at the right time, Sunderland with a new manager and Hull who also have a war-chest. But have we? We are rapidly approaching the moment of truth for the Eisner legacy. How much do they want to go up?

RE: The Ipswitch Game. - dsmg - 12-12-2020

Pangas, don’t think Curtis was that weak. He beat his man often down the left, tracked back well and had a few shots, one a cracker which hit the bar. I reckon everyone put in a shift and Raggett and Jack won virtually everything in the air.

RE: The Ipswitch Game. - mikey393 - 12-12-2020

(12-12-2020, 07:58 PM)dsmg Wrote: Pangas, don’t think Curtis was that weak. He beat his man often down the left, tracked back well and had a few shots, one a cracker which hit the bar. I reckon everyone put in a shift and Raggett and Jack won virtually everything in the air.

Great result today but definitely should have scored more goals. I heard a comment on Talk Sport comparing him to Garrincha the legendary Braizilian winger unplayable! Marquis is our top scorer but needs too many chances. I'd like to see Huwali given more game time as he is a natural goal scorer with pace. His short-term contract runs out on December 31. The owners need to invest in the January transfer window & buy some quality players unlike the last 2 years which has cost us promotion.

RE: The Ipswitch Game. - Jezzer - 13-12-2020

(12-12-2020, 10:20 PM)mikey393 Wrote:
(12-12-2020, 07:58 PM)dsmg Wrote: Pangas, don’t think Curtis was that weak. He beat his man often down the left, tracked back well and had a few shots, one a cracker which hit the bar. I reckon everyone put in a shift and Raggett and Jack won virtually everything in the air.

Great result today but definitely should have scored more goals. I heard a comment on Talk Sport comparing him to Garrincha the legendary Braizilian winger unplayable! Marquis is our top scorer but needs too many chances. I'd like to see Huwali given more game time as he is a natural goal scorer with pace. His short-term contract runs out on December 31. The owners need to invest in the January transfer window & buy some quality players unlike the last 2 years which has cost us promotion.
Huwali's career stats tend to suggest he's not exactly a natural goalscorer. However, I agree with the general sentiment that he should ge given more minutes and probably as an impact sub. Games are coming thick and fast which means Jackett will need to be clever when it comes to resting players and not flog to death the same starting eleven like he did a couple of seasons back.

RE: The Ipswitch Game. - DeepBlue - 13-12-2020

(12-12-2020, 07:48 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: Already in a leading position compared to last year when, after 17 games we had 27 points. January is going to be crucial in separating us from the other would be top twos. Of these I would select Charlton with new owners and investment coming at the right time, Sunderland with a new manager and Hull who also have a war-chest. But have we? We are rapidly approaching the moment of truth for the Eisner legacy. How much do they want to go up?

No point having a war chest when there is a salary cap in place.

RE: The Ipswitch Game. - Gerry Hatrick - 13-12-2020

(13-12-2020, 11:18 AM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(12-12-2020, 07:48 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: Already in a leading position compared to last year when, after 17 games we had 27 points. January is going to be crucial in separating us from the other would be top twos. Of these I would select Charlton with new owners and investment coming at the right time, Sunderland with a new manager and Hull who also have a war-chest. But have we? We are rapidly approaching the moment of truth for the Eisner legacy. How much do they want to go up?

No point having a war chest when there is a salary cap in place.

Fair point. I keep forgetting about that although suspect bigger clubs have found a back-door way of compensating their premium talent. And what happened to the legal challenge launched by the PFA? Didn't they go to arbitration?

RE: The Ipswitch Game. - Wightblue - 13-12-2020

Getting into The Championship is vital if we are to retain the likes of Naylor and Jack and I agree with those who believe the Eisners must invest in promotion in the January window, we don’t have adequate cover in too many positions. Obviously moving on Downing and Bolton is paramount but I would look to sell Close and or Morris (and look to buy or loan a ‘Thompson’).

Given that the Salary Cap may be an impediment to acquiring better players then we need some creative accounting, the Arsenal Board showed how to do it when they were intent on retaining The Invincibles side with all sorts of schemes from selling houses on the cheap to star players, inventing the idea of ‘image rights’, paying players tax. The schemes were about dancing round HMRC’s taxing of the well off but I’m pretty sure that there are plenty of sharp eyed accountants who would waltz through Parry’s cap......but do The Eisners want to ?

I thought yesterday’s performance was up there with the away games at Sunderland and Lincoln, our high pressing, in-your-face game left Ipswich in tatters for much of the game. Wouldn’t want to pick out anyone specially as everyone gave it their all and showed considerable skill.

Don’t think the criticism of Curtis is warranted, Ipswich more often than not doubled up on him and got physical from early doors......his bar rattler deserved better.

I hope that we remain injury free and do not put up another supine performance like the one at Blackpool, if we play like we did against Sunderland, Lincoln, Posh and Ipswich we will provide a test for anyone.

My concern is that injuries and or suspensions rob us of Naylor and Cannon in the same game (Morris and Close ? No thanks !), similarly Whatmough and Raggett (Downing and Nicolaeson ? you’re joking).

Getting into The Championship is vital if we are to retain the likes of Naylor and Jack and I agree with those who believe the Eisners must invest in promotion in the January window, we don’t have adequate cover in too many positions. Obviously moving on Downing and Bolton is paramount but I would look to sell Close and or Morris (and look to buy or loan a ‘Thompson’).

Given that the Salary Cap may be an impediment to acquiring better players then we need some creative accounting, the Arsenal Board showed how to do it when they were intent on retaining The Invincibles side with all sorts of schemes from selling houses on the cheap to star players, inventing the idea of ‘image rights’, paying players tax. The schemes were about dancing round HMRC’s taxing of the well off but I’m pretty sure that there are plenty of sharp eyed accountants who would waltz through Parry’s cap......but do The Eisners want to ?

I thought yesterday’s performance was up there with the away games at Sunderland and Lincoln, our high pressing, in-your-face game left Ipswich in tatters for much of the game. Wouldn’t want to pick out anyone specially as everyone gave it their all and showed considerable skill.

Don’t think the criticism of Curtis is warranted, Ipswich more often than not doubled up on him and got physical from early doors......his bar rattler deserved better.

I hope that we remain injury free and do not put up another supine performance like the one at Blackpool, if we play like we did against Sunderland, Lincoln, Posh and Ipswich we will provide a test for anyone.

My concern is that injuries and or suspensions rob us of Naylor and Cannon in the same game (Morris and Close ? No thanks !), similarly Whatmough and Raggett (Downing and Nicolaeson ? you’re joking).

RE: The Ipswitch Game. - slayer - 13-12-2020

It's getting exciting isn't it.

This is where the cycle restarts. Just when you start to believe...

My only problem Scumslayer is that I’ve already had 75 seasons of excitement (sometimes gut wrenchingly so) such that I would now willingly settle for a boring run of equally boring 1-0 victories with Pompey runaway winners of the league........but I think I am condemned to keep taking the Valium on Saturdays.