TrueBlueArmy Forums
Cowleys set to stay long term - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Cowleys set to stay long term (/showthread.php?tid=536)

Cowleys set to stay long term - BigSmokeBlue - 23-04-2021

...according to the Snooze. Irrespective of whether they secure a play off spot or not, the Cowley brothers will be in charge next season. Their approach and eye for detail has impressed the Board and Eisners.  

Not sure if this is good news or not? Jury is still out on the Cowleys if I am honest. They appear to be excellent coaches, but can they man manager players? Looking at our recent run of results, I'm not so sure. Time will tell and their record in the transfer market will be the proof in the pudding. 

Danny Cowley set for long-term Portsmouth stay | The News

RE: Cowleys set to stay long term - Jizbag - 23-04-2021

As long as the board don't make the mistake of a long contract. 2 years with an option of extension should be sufficient.

RE: Cowleys set to stay long term - DeepBlue - 23-04-2021

(23-04-2021, 05:08 PM)BigSmokeBlue Wrote: ...according to the Snooze. Irrespective of whether they secure a play off spot or not, the Cowley brothers will be in charge next season. Their approach and eye for detail has impressed the Board and Eisners.  

Not sure if this is good news or not? Jury is still out on the Cowleys if I am honest. They appear to be excellent coaches, but can they man manager players? Looking at our recent run of results, I'm not so sure. Time will tell and their record in the transfer market will be the proof in the pudding. 

Danny Cowley set for long-term Portsmouth stay | The News

That news might just get a reaction from the players .. I was beginning to wonder if the fact that they might be gone at the end of the season was affecting the players buy-in to their demands.

If true I think they are a decent fit for the club and the fan's demands for a high workrate ethos. Who knows if better are out there available to us, but for certain there are plenty far worse.

RE: Cowleys set to stay long term - Gerry Hatrick - 24-04-2021

WARNING: the following post has irony in it.

Great news.
With the Cowleys on board, I'm convinced we can win the League One Coach/Manager Personality League. 
All these years we've been worrying about what happens on the pitch but it's the charm of the manager that really counts.
But are there some more amiable and engaging candidates out there?
I mean Philip Schofield seems a nice chap.
Or what about Tom Hanks? 
Any thoughts?

RE: Cowleys set to stay long term - exgaffer - 24-04-2021

(24-04-2021, 06:13 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: WARNING: the following post has irony in it.

Great news.
With the Cowleys on board, I'm convinced we can win the League One Coach/Manager Personality League. 
All these years we've been worrying about what happens on the pitch but it's the charm of the manager that really counts.
Or what about Tom Hanks? 
Any thoughts?

Irony? Really? Smile 

Well if the Cowleys didn’t have a good track record of success, you might have a point.

They do, so.............

If a ‘nice chap’ is one who lies to his wife about his sexuality for years, then Schofield might fit your argument ffs.

RE: Cowleys set to stay long term - briefcase_wanchor - 24-04-2021

(24-04-2021, 07:53 AM)exgaffer Wrote:
(24-04-2021, 06:13 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: WARNING: the following post has irony in it.

Great news.
Or what about Tom Hanks? 
Any thoughts?

Irony? Really? Smile 

Well if the Cowleys didn’t have a good track record of success, you might have a point.

They do, so.............

If a ‘nice chap’ is one who lies to his wife about his sexuality for years, then Schofield might fit your argument ffs.

So Mrs Cowley may be in for a big shock soon.  I suppose spendiing all that time with young men often in a state of undress.....

RE: Cowleys set to stay long term - Smirnoffexpress - 24-04-2021

If they are going to be our managers, give them the tools to do their job. We, as usual will back them as fans.

RE: Cowleys set to stay long term - ForeverPompey - 24-04-2021

Although quite a big rebuild is needed there are likely to be large numbers of players out of contract at clubs who have been reluctant to plan ahead given circumstances. Does this mean we will be able to assemble a new squad more cheaply than maybe would otherwise have been the case? Not that I'm suggesting Pompey would want to do it on the cheap of course!!

RE: Cowleys set to stay long term - Gerry Hatrick - 24-04-2021

Great news.
Or what about Tom Hanks? 
Any thoughts?

Irony? Really? Smile 

They do, so.............

A bit harsh gaffer! 
Not on Schofield I mean the post's irony even if it was the lowest form.
And how could you not like the idea of Tom Hanks being manager?

RE: Cowleys set to stay long term - exgaffer - 24-04-2021

(24-04-2021, 02:53 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote:

Great news.
Or what about Tom Hanks? 
Any thoughts?

Irony? Really? Smile 

They do, so.............

A bit harsh gaffer! 
Not on Schofield I mean the post's irony even if it was the lowest form.
And how could you not like the idea of Tom Hanks being manager?

Harsh? Moi?  Smile

A win at last, we can all be cheerful again until Accrington next week.

RE: Cowleys set to stay long term - Pedalo_menders - 26-04-2021

Looks like the players are in for a beasting pre-season: https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/danny-cowley-gives-insight-into-portsmouth-pre-season-plans-as-foreign-tour-is-ruled-out-3213920

So hopefully we wont have that same slow start we've grown acustomed to under our previous leader; at least fitness-wise anyway. It may take a bit of time for some players to gel, considering all the changes (we're hoping for) in personnel in the summer.

RE: Cowleys set to stay long term - Rocketman - 26-04-2021

A tough pre-season is exactly what is needed rather than the complete non-events of previous years. The more I hear from DC the more I like what I hear :-) Anyone remember the pre-season a decade+ ago against Celtic - it was awesome.

RE: Cowleys set to stay long term - ForeverPompey - 26-04-2021

Going to need a good pre season for that opening game at home to Sheff Utd

RE: Cowleys set to stay long term - teeftwo - 27-04-2021

Well that is music to my ears. These players are most definitely suffering from a lack of conditioning and that's just not something that can be put right mid to late season with the recovery period needed between matches.

I know amateur runners who have full time jobs that are fitter than half our squad because they put in the hours.

RE: Cowleys set to stay long term - ForeverPompey - 27-04-2021

Wasn't it the mighty Drew Talbot who once complained that players were left to do their own fitness training. I accept each player has responsibility for his own fitness levels but it does seem the club have been rather archaic in their approach to this aspect. Not for much longer it would appear.

RE: Cowleys set to stay long term - DeepBlue - 27-04-2021

(27-04-2021, 09:05 AM)ForeverPompey Wrote: Wasn't it the mighty Drew Talbot who once complained that players were left to do their own fitness training. I accept each player has responsibility for his own fitness levels but it does seem the club have been rather archaic in their approach to this aspect. Not for much longer it would appear.

Yes it was. But that was under Paul Cook, I think things changed a bit under Jackett and Gallen.

RE: Cowleys set to stay long term - mikey393 - 27-04-2021

Don't they have a Fitness Coach? All the top teams do I thought but hang on this is Pompey.

If players want to get fully fit they have to do it on their own as per Clarke did to get his transfer last season.

(27-04-2021, 03:41 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(27-04-2021, 09:05 AM)ForeverPompey Wrote: Wasn't it the mighty Drew Talbot who once complained that players were left to do their own fitness training. I accept each player has responsibility for his own fitness levels but it does seem the club have been rather archaic in their approach to this aspect. Not for much longer it would appear.

Yes it was. But that was under Paul Cook, I think things changed a bit under Jackett and Gallen.

So it was. My, how the years roll by.

RE: Cowleys set to stay long term - Hammie - 27-04-2021

watching us play. The way we set up might make young loanees from upper leagues a lot more useful. Pass and move run a lot, close down a lot. Sounds like the better sides up there.
Under Jackett they always seemed a bit superfluous as the ball flew past them.

RE: Cowleys set to stay long term - mikey393 - 27-04-2021

That was Jacketball R.I.P.

Cowleys talk a good game. Arguably they aren't having any effect at all on the players. Remain unconvinced about them staying. Hoping to be proved wrong obviously.

RE: Cowleys set to stay long term - stayinupforever - 27-04-2021

No to the Cowleys.