TrueBlueArmy Forums
The Harlem Globetrotters at Fratton Park - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The Harlem Globetrotters at Fratton Park (/showthread.php?tid=550)

The Harlem Globetrotters at Fratton Park - Wightblue - 30-04-2021

I trust I am not the only person on this Board who remembers that sunny evening in the ‘50s when The Globetrotters played The Texas Cowboys at Fratton Park.

A basketball court laid in the middle of the pitch and a decent crowd enjoying great entertainment from the first notes of Sweet Georgia Brown -The number that accompanied The Globetrotters warm up routine to the very last net.

Of course it was in that period before TV dominated things and the chance to see what were then legendary performers drew a large crowd.

I seem to remember Goose Haines, JC Gibson, Meadowlark Lemon but too many years have passed for me to remember the rest of The Globetrotters line up that evening.

One of the bigger non- football evenings at HQ.

RE: The Harlem Globetrotters at Fratton Park - ForeverPompey - 30-04-2021

Sadly I just miss out on remembering that event. My recollection of non football events is limited to a couple of firework displays and several Pompey performances which I think qualify... some this season!!

RE: The Harlem Globetrotters at Fratton Park - DeepBlue - 30-04-2021

Other non-footballing events at FP include Beer Festivals, a Madness concert, and Tony Pulis' team.

RE: The Harlem Globetrotters at Fratton Park - stayinupforever - 01-05-2021

Slightly too young to see them at Fratton Park but did see the Harlem Globetrotters at Wembley in 1968, including Meadowlark Lemon. Pure brilliance. Netted with his back to the board from the half way line on the edge of the court. Saw them again in 2015 good but not the same experience.
Oh for some excitement at Fratton Park.

RE: The Harlem Globetrotters at Fratton Park - Wightblue - 01-05-2021

What we need is for Eisner to re-develop Fratton Park into a multi- purpose stadium (with a opening/closing roof), seems absolute madness to just have a ground purely for ,say, 25 games of football a year.

I am not suggesting Horse of the Year or Rugby i.e. events that would damage the pitch but there are other event opportunities which we might take advantage of, would certainly help defray the cost of re-development and provide an ongoing income stream.

RE: The Harlem Globetrotters at Fratton Park - mikey393 - 01-05-2021

(30-04-2021, 03:44 PM)Wightblue Wrote: I trust I am not the only person on this Board who remembers that sunny evening in the ‘50s when The Globetrotters played The Texas Cowboys at Fratton Park.

A basketball court laid in the middle of the pitch and a decent crowd enjoying great entertainment from the first notes of Sweet Georgia Brown -The number that accompanied The Globetrotters warm up routine to the very last net.

Of course it was in that period before TV dominated things and the chance to see what were then legendary performers drew a large crowd.

I seem to remember Goose Haines, JC Gibson, Meadowlark Lemon but too many years have passed for me to remember the rest of The Globetrotters line up that evening.

One of the bigger non- football evenings at HQ.

Wight great stuff! Maybe you could become official historian for the club. I really didn't know that as I only started following the club from 1960 ish. You sound like an encyclopedia of PFC information. Please keep writing your great stories.