TrueBlueArmy Forums
Sunday at about 1.50pm - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Sunday at about 1.50pm (/showthread.php?tid=573)

Sunday at about 1.50pm - Wightblue - 06-05-2021

Will it be elation or yet another disappointment ?

Will The Cowleys have been able to inspire a team that has failed to turn up on big occasions in previous and this season (think v Salford) and get the result which will keep our season going ?

I certainly expect the whole team to give everything on the pitch, they more than owe their long suffering fans a performance, no hiding, no histrionics but instead a steely eyed awareness of their individual and collective roles in ensuring victory.

They may or may not collectively have the requisite skills to be a shoe-in against a hard working Accrington side but these Pompey players should certainly show massive desire to make the play offs, if they don’t want the win more than Accrington then they are probably not the right players to be wearing the Blue and White of Pompey.

RE: Sunday at about 1.50pm - mikey393 - 06-05-2021

Well said Wight very good critique!

RE: Sunday at about 1.50pm - Smirnoffexpress - 06-05-2021

In over fifty years with Pompey I know that if there is a way they can hurt me they will! You hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

RE: Sunday at about 1.50pm - Pedalo_menders - 06-05-2021

To be honest, I’ve already been treating these last couple of games as the playoffs lol

It’s a toss of a coin to see if we succeed or not. I hope the players leave the pitch with no regrets.

RE: Sunday at about 1.50pm - Cressers - 07-05-2021

Is scraping into the lowest playoff spot with the near-certainty we'll be knocked out in the first round anything to get excited about?

RE: Sunday at about 1.50pm - Smirnoffexpress - 07-05-2021

Nope, but in the excitement stakes it is all that we have.

RE: Sunday at about 1.50pm - Wightblue - 07-05-2021

Why not be excited ? It could be the precursor to something even more exciting, a winning Wembley playoff final......and a tilt at Championship survival !

In 76 years of supporting Pompey (since 1946) I have had a lot more downs than ups but have always looked forward to days like this coming Sunday, of course I wish we were off the a Wembley Cup Final or trying for a play off place to The Premiership....but we are not so let’s enjoy what we have.

You’re a Pompey Fan and you therefore have to get used to being grateful for small mercies, it’s The Pompey Way.

I’m just focussing on Sunday and will worry about the Play offs if and when we get to them, after all, it wouldn’t be the biggest shock ever in football if we turned Blackpool over - Leicester did for us when we had been infinitely the better team all season long.

RE: Sunday at about 1.50pm - exgaffer - 07-05-2021

(07-05-2021, 08:12 AM)Wightblue Wrote: Why not be excited ? It could be the precursor to something even more exciting, a winning Wembley playoff final......and a tilt at Championship survival !

In 76 years of supporting Pompey (since 1946) I have had a lot more downs than ups but have always looked forward to days like this coming Sunday, of course I wish we were off the a Wembley Cup Final or trying for a play off place to The Premiership....but we are not so let’s enjoy what we have.

You’re a Pompey Fan and you therefore have to get used to being grateful for small mercies, it’s The Pompey Way.

I’m just focussing on Sunday and will worry about the Play offs if and when we get to them, after all, it wouldn’t be the biggest shock ever in football if we turned Blackpool over - Leicester did for us when we had been infinitely the better team all season long.

Leicester did for us with an offside goal.

We haven’t really deserved to get anything out if this season, so if we do it will be an unexpected bonus.

I think the Cowleys have done well enough, regardless of the result on Sunday, to give us hope for the future. When they have built their own team we will see the best of them.

Anyway, here’s hoping.

PUP

RE: Sunday at about 1.50pm - ForeverPompey - 07-05-2021

Agreed. A play off place is a bonus given how underwhelming the season has been. Promotion would be a total surprise so I’m trying to view Sunday and whatever might come after as a free shot at success. Of course that doesn’t mean Sunday won’t be nervous / exciting / frustrating / depressing in various measures!

RE: Sunday at about 1.50pm - Pompey_in_Derby - 07-05-2021

Not fussed who we meet in the play-offs - they have always been a bit of a lottery!

We won comfortably at both Sunderland and Lincoln yet mucked up at home to them. The Blackpool defeats were poor performances but previous form goes out off the window especially as the Cowleys should approach play off games with a different mindset to Jackett.

We just need to do the business on Sunday then what will be will be.

RE: Sunday at about 1.50pm - briefcase_wanchor - 07-05-2021

Whichever 4 teams complete the play-off line-up they are all inconsistent - from week to week they are capable of playing well and equally capable of being rubbish. The teams are all completely unpredictable, as the results are likely to be. Which, if we make it on Sunday, gives us as good a chance as the other 3 teams.

RE: Sunday at about 1.50pm - mikey393 - 07-05-2021

(07-05-2021, 10:27 AM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: Not fussed who we meet in the play-offs - they have always been a bit of a lottery!

We won comfortably at both Sunderland and Lincoln yet mucked up at home to them. The Blackpool defeats were poor performances but previous form goes out off the window especially as the Cowleys should approach play off games with a different mindset to Jackett.

We just need to do the business on Sunday then what will be will be.

Agreed let's sort out Sunday's Game first No good thinking too far ahead at this stage.

Big Bonus is they've had 8 days to prepare the team.

All payers should now be fit & available bar Bass & Harrison.

Let's hope they can just execute at least one set play successfully leading to a goal!

RE: Sunday at about 1.50pm - ForeverPompey - 07-05-2021

My money is on Downing or Hiwula to score the crucial goal.... but wouldn’t it be sweet to be 3 up at half time and give Hiwula some match time in case he is needed in play offs. Wishful thinking.

RE: Sunday at about 1.50pm - bluetagagain - 07-05-2021

IF we make the play offs, we’ll go up. Blind faith is our only hope :-)

RE: Sunday at about 1.50pm - slayer - 07-05-2021

It's a nice position to be in. If we fall short we say yep fair enough the table doesn't lie. If we sneak in then we are jammy and who knows we might sneak up

RE: Sunday at about 1.50pm - DeepBlue - 07-05-2021

(07-05-2021, 04:44 PM)scumslayer Wrote: It's a nice position to be in. If we fall short we say yep fair enough the table doesn't lie. If we sneak in then we are jammy and who knows we might sneak up

Why could we not also say the table doesn't lie if we finish 6th ?  

The table doesn't lie so there would be nothing jammy about it - surely  it would be where we deserve to finish over the whole season.

RE: Sunday at about 1.50pm - slayer - 07-05-2021

That was easy

RE: Sunday at about 1.50pm - Jizbag - 08-05-2021

If we can't beat Accy at home who have nothing to play for but pride then we don't deserve to be in the play offs.
I'm expecting us to blow them away with a fast quick passing high press, bodies on the line, giving it everything till the final whistle.

Anything less is unacceptable.

RE: Sunday at about 1.50pm - Gerry Hatrick - 08-05-2021

(08-05-2021, 09:27 AM)Jizbag Wrote: If we can't beat Accy at home who have nothing to play for but pride then we don't deserve to be in the play offs.
I'm expecting us to blow them away with a fast quick passing high press, bodies on the line, giving it everything till the final whistle.

I'm expecting a one-goal margin nervously defended deep into injury time. And as we can't seem to manage a clean sheet, I just hope that we score first.

RE: Sunday at about 1.50pm - BilltheCat - 08-05-2021

(08-05-2021, 09:27 AM)Jizbag Wrote: If we can't beat Accy at home who have nothing to play for but pride then we don't deserve to be in the play offs.

Agreed!

RE: Sunday at about 1.50pm - PlymouthGraham - 08-05-2021

yep..totally agree..

When Cowleys were appointed..I had a thought that  it was written in the stars that we would play Lincoln city in the Wembley Play Off final. I also thought that we would beat Blackpool in semi's.
Why??
Because of the Cowley and Appleton symmetry..and romance of that pairing.
And..
Because Blackpool have beaten us twice in the league already..so then beating them twice in the semi's ....had more symmetry!