TrueBlueArmy Forums
NO to the Cowleys - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NO to the Cowleys (/showthread.php?tid=587)

NO to the Cowleys - stayinupforever - 09-05-2021

There has to be something better.

RE: NO to the Cowleys - ForeverPompey - 09-05-2021

I would like to think so. Can’t motivate it seems. Do they have contacts to build a top 2 team?

RE: NO to the Cowleys - slayer - 09-05-2021

I am going to agree with this on the premise that everything from Catlin downwards needs to go and the new CEO and DoF must appoint a new face

RE: NO to the Cowleys - Tufnell_Chimes - 09-05-2021

Well that's not going to happen.

You're not wrong Tuffnel

RE: NO to the Cowleys - Bedhamptonblue69 - 09-05-2021

Agree , don’t think they are the answer to be honest . Strange how these other managers get the ‘ lesser teams ‘ to play decent football and get results

RE: NO to the Cowleys - BallymacashPompey - 09-05-2021

Todays performance by us was reminiscent of a school sports afternoon organized by school staff.
No competition, no winners and no medals.
It seems our players were not motivated for their biggest game of the season before or during the game, both on the pitch or from the side line?
Maybe I'm just old fashion but I prefer the more vocal, passionate approach.
We seem to have gone from a motionless, muted, arm folded manager in Jackett, to a school PE teacher who doesn't want to upset any of the children!

RE: NO to the Cowleys - ForeverPompey - 09-05-2021

Ha yes seems about right. Mind you, how do you motivate garbage like harness Marquis and friends. To think we came into this league with Clarke burgess Doyle Evans rose Lowe Curtis. How far we have fallen.

He has only had twelve games, and the team's not his own, and that team had most likely been ground down by Jackett's tactics. With so many players out of contract I reckon he should be given the chance to put together his own team.

RE: NO to the Cowleys - bluetagagain - 09-05-2021

I’d like to see the Cowley brothers given a chance

RE: NO to the Cowleys - Dibdenblue - 09-05-2021

Yes to the Cowleys

RE: NO to the Cowleys - Pedalo_menders - 09-05-2021

Concerning was that they played hoofball for the first 45 mins... wtf was that all about?

If we get the Cowleys who want a possession based passing game, then yes. if we get the Cowleys who motivated the team into hoofing it aimlessly, then no.

RE: NO to the Cowleys - kindofblue - 09-05-2021

Did they hoof it in the first half? I thought we played some decent stuff first 15 minutes.

We saw a bit of what the Huddersfield fans were warning us about today didn't we.

RE: NO to the Cowleys - Tomsk - 09-05-2021

(09-05-2021, 02:50 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: I’d like to see the Cowley brothers given a chance

Agreed, give them a chance to start afresh.

RE: NO to the Cowleys - Bluebob - 09-05-2021

(09-05-2021, 03:45 PM)Tomsk Wrote:
(09-05-2021, 02:50 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: I’d like to see the Cowley brothers given a chance

Agreed, give them a chance to start afresh.

How the hell can the Cowley’s be blamed for this debacle. As I said earlier Pep couldn’t polish this bunch of turds. This has to one of the worst squads I have seen in all my years watching Pompey.

Without doubt the blame lies at the door of Catlin he should of insisted that Jackett went last season, I am convinced the Eisners would have taken notice.

Question we have to ask ourselves how the hell do Accrington Stanley put together a team which man to man was better than us on gates of barely 2000. Again how did we get beaten to players that Peterborough signed with no disrespect to them surely we are a bigger draw. This again must be down to Catlins negotiations skills also how much say does he have over signings because I can’t believe most of the players signed in the last 4 yrs were Jacketts first choice.

Once again I will get a season ticket but how many games I’ll go to depends if any of this shower of sh-t is still here next season.

RE: NO to the Cowleys - Gerry Hatrick - 09-05-2021

This squad have topped the table. It can't be all about the quality of the players that Jackett signed. I'm afraid the truth is the Cowleys have been exposed to be out of their depth and everyone should be grateful that we've found out now rather than half-way through another wasted season.

They've had over a week to prepare against a side they only played recently and they've come out of the traps looking like a clueless bunch of strangers. What the hell has Cowley and his coaching team been doing since Saturday apart from giving interviews and making happy sound bites? Where was the fast-flowing football? Where was the high-tempo, pressing game Cowley's been talking about? Why did Accrington - with nothing to play for - look more up for it than us?? 

When Cowley talks about Marquis being the best number nine he's worked with you know something's wrong. The fact is, this pair haven't the experience or contacts (outside the lower leagues) we need to get out of this division. 

Maybe, just maybe Mark Catlin had the insight to pull John Coleman aside for a chat in his office before he left Fratton Park. Now there's an experienced manager who finds the bargains and knows how to motivate them.

RE: NO to the Cowleys - DeepBlue - 09-05-2021

I thought they came out of the traps pretty well, we looked by far the best team for the first 10 mins or so. 

But they couldn't handle the pressure, a problem with this squad all season.  From the moment Oxford scored we looked scared of the task. 

And how do you know what contacts the Cowleys have got ?  It's already been reported that they are hoping to use their contacts with Spurs to get White back next year - whatever you think of White that is not an indication of them having no good contacts. 

I'd be quite happy if they get the job, they are the type of modern management we need and we could do a lot worse. Equally, if we got Stendel I'd be quite happy too.

RE: NO to the Cowleys - exterminator - 09-05-2021

(09-05-2021, 02:42 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: He has only had twelve games, and the team's not his own, and that team had most likely been ground down by Jackett's tactics. With so many players out of contract I reckon he should be given the chance to put together his own team.

Shock Horror - I agree with you 100% Tuffers - he hasn't had the time to work with this present mob properly - 12 games in just 8 weeks.

Not that I would keep many of the out-of-contract players apart from Whatmough & Close - I would also expect them to ship out some of the others that are still under contract as well.

As far as their less than one season as Huddersfield goes - they worked wonders there to save them from relegation with little or no help from the owner.

Apart from Stendel, who else are we going to get ffs?

I've yet to hear a single, compelling argument in favour of the Cowleys from any of those championing the Cowleys. Yes, Danny's a nice chap but I can be a nice chap too, can I have the job? 

Apart from a short spell at Huddersfield, they've spent all their careers in the non-league. Yes, there are bargains to be picked up there but what about the picks in the higher leagues. Do they have the contacts to get the loans and signings we need? 

The Cowleys might be the perfect fit........to stick around the lower leagues for another four years.

RE: NO to the Cowleys - Hammie - 09-05-2021

Having inherited a squad that suddenly collapsed under the manager that signed them, to even get close to the play offs was an achievement.
Have we forgotten how dire we were at the time they arrived?
I still don't get why/how they collapsed as they did. Unless it was losing one young loan layer again but that seems a bit over the top.

RE: NO to the Cowleys - Cressers - 09-05-2021

We started 6th this morning and finished 8th.

(09-05-2021, 04:59 PM)exterminator Wrote:
(09-05-2021, 02:42 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: He has only had twelve games, and the team's not his own, and that team had most likely been ground down by Jackett's tactics. With so many players out of contract I reckon he should be given the chance to put together his own team.

Shock Horror - I agree with you 100% Tuffers

its a start.  Smile

RE: NO to the Cowleys - dave11 - 09-05-2021

Don't believe they are the answer. To drop Raggett who has played alogside Wahtmough for most of the season and h also provided an aerial option for corners was ridicul;ous and the cause of the goal. Huh That said they could have palyed another 90 minuted and still not scored. New manager needed and start again.

(09-05-2021, 07:27 PM)dave11 Wrote: Don't believe they are the answer. To drop Raggett who has played alogside Wahtmough for most of the season and h also provided an aerial option for corners was ridicul;ous and the cause of the goal. Huh That said they could have palyed another 90 minuted and still not scored. New manager needed and start again.

Yes, they didn't score despite having, to quote Cowley "the best number nine I've ever worked with". I thought he was just trying to boost poor John Marquis' confidence. On reflection I think he was just taking the piss