TrueBlueArmy Forums
Director of football - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Director of football (/showthread.php?tid=600)

Pages: 1 2

Director of football - stayinupforever - 10-05-2021

I'll admit to not knowing the full job description of a CEO or DoF but the two must surely be so far apart in responsibilities that Mark Catlin cannot and should not do both. 
The Eisners must bring in a DoF before appointing a permanent manager.
To be honest I've no idea who might be a good candidate.

RE: Director of football - Cleaver Greene - 10-05-2021

Avram Grant. Tongue

RE: Director of football - slayer - 10-05-2021

Didn't Cowley say he is Head Coach not Manger because there is going to be a DOF?

Rumours that Rocha has applied. I would be very happy with that

RE: Director of football - DeepBlue - 10-05-2021

(10-05-2021, 11:16 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: I'll admit to not knowing the full job description of a CEO or DoF but the two must surely be so far apart in responsibilities that Mark Catlin cannot and should not do both. 
The Eisners must bring in a DoF before appointing a permanent manager.
To be honest I've no idea who might be a good candidate.

Who has suggested that Catlin has been performing anything like a DoF role ? 

His role is surely mostly a financial administrative one and he has never had anything to do with the playing side of things other than his role of being one of the board members who contribute to the decisions to hire and fire managers, and to tell managers how much they can afford to spend. 

I'm still to be convinced that any club of our size needs a DoF as well as a manager/head coach (or in our case now, effectively two managers/head coaches). It certainly seems a financial luxury at a time when the club is losing money hand over fist.

RE: Director of football - Hammie - 10-05-2021

only get a dof if the manager is happy with that and if the money cannot be better used somewhere else.

RE: Director of football - Roybatty - 10-05-2021

What does a director of football actually do? I remember when this sort of position was mentioned,it didn't go down well, remember arry saying,he just told Milan stories for a wage packet

Abidal does the role well at FCB. They consult on academy development, player acquisition, player acclimatisation/welfare and ensure that a football perspective is applied to board room decisions i.e. hiring and firing coaches

Harry gave it the big'un about being a glorified cheuffuer to the chairman but that's because with his manager's hat on, he was old school, proud, and didn't like giving up power. As a DoF he actually did well for us, selling Crouch for good money and signing Toddy was superb business and he prevented Mandaric from more daft commercial shit like signing more 4ft Yoshi Kawaguchis.

Now that he is older he has totally changed his tune. Several times in recent months he has told the press that he wants to be a DoF and oversee the development of a younger manager.

"I'm still to be convinced that any club of our size needs a DoF as well as a manager"

Errr Catlin not sacking Jackett 12 months ago?

RE: Director of football - Jezzer - 10-05-2021

Would rather spend this supposed DoF money on a decent striker and let the manager source the players he wants to bring in.  Remember, we've been down this road with Zajec and Copple and it didn't turn out well. 
By the way Abidal does such a good job he managed to get sacked last August for rubber stamping enormous fees for average players and slagging off the players in public  so perhaps he's not the best example to quote when arguing your case.

RE: Director of football - DeepBlue - 11-05-2021

(10-05-2021, 08:21 PM)scumslayer Wrote: "I'm still to be convinced that any club of our size needs a DoF as well as a manager"

Errr Catlin not sacking Jackett 12 months ago?

It's not Catlin's job to make the decisions on sacking a manager, that is a board decision. Yes, his opinion would count in any board decision but he could not do it on his own if the Eisners wanted to keep him.

It certainly would not be in any DoF job scope either. Again, a DoF could be on the board if they so choose but he would only be one opinion around the table.

RE: Director of football - Pedalo_menders - 11-05-2021

I would argue that it is Catlins job to decide on sacking the manager. Who else on the footballing side is going to have oversight of the managers performance? And the experience to know when it needs to be done.

Yes, he may need board approval but it certainly is the CEO’s job to advise the board what needs to be done and why. Catlin comes out of this saga looking badly because he either:

A: Showed poor leadership to not instruct the board to rubber stamp Kennys exit when it needed to be done. They even rejected his resignation at one stage!
Or
B: He showed poor judgement in thinking Kenny was the right man for the job until it was too late.

The owners have made so many rookie mistakes and it should be the CEO having the balls to say:

Hold up Michael, putting Kenny on a 4year contract is a big risk and here’s why. Very few managers last their full contract. Do you have a contingency fund if we need to get rid before the full term?

Michael, you need to hop on a plane to Pompey for the most exciting/important period as an owner: January. I’ll need you here because the landscape changes by the minute at times. It really can make or break a season.

Michael, we need to talk about Kenny. He has bottled 2 playoff attempts and his squad planning is atrocious. His 4th season is in danger of being over before it’s started. If we don’t have a strong start we need to be prepared to pull the trigger.

I’d bet my right bollock none of those conversations happened.

RE: Director of football - stayinupforever - 11-05-2021

(11-05-2021, 04:14 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: I would argue that it is Catlins job to decide on sacking the manager. Who else on the footballing side is going to have oversight of the managers performance? And the experience to know when it needs to be done.

Yes, he may need board approval but it certainly is the CEO’s job to advise the board what needs to be done and why. Catlin comes out of this saga looking badly because he either:

A: Showed poor leadership to not instruct the board to rubber stamp Kennys exit when it needed to be done. They even rejected his resignation at one stage!
Or
B: He showed poor judgement in thinking Kenny was the right man for the job until it was too late.

The owners have made so many rookie mistakes and it should be the CEO having the balls to say:

Hold up Michael, putting Kenny on a 4year contract is a big risk and here’s why. Very few managers last their full contract. Do you have a contingency fund if we need to get rid before the full term?

Michael, you need to hop on a plane to Pompey for the most exciting/important period as an owner: January. I’ll need you here because the landscape changes by the minute at times. It really can make or break a season.

Michael, we need to talk about Kenny. He has bottled 2 playoff attempts and his squad planning is atrocious. His 4th season is in danger of being over before it’s started. If we don’t have a strong start we need to be prepared to pull the trigger.

I’d bet my right bollock none of those conversations happened.

Totally agree with this.

RE: Director of football - DeepBlue - 11-05-2021

I very much suspect the conversation went along the lines of...
- Kenny has offered to resign,I think we should consider it
- forget it, we are losing 700k a month we can't afford it. Besides he'll have us top by Christmas.

RE: Director of football - Rick Pumpkin - 11-05-2021

(11-05-2021, 03:36 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: It's not Catlin's job to make the decisions on sacking a manager, that is a board decision. Yes, his opinion would count in any board decision but he could not do it on his own if the Eisners wanted to keep him.

Deep, that's not strictly true and depends on the terms handed down by the board. Some CEOs are given carte blanche by their board to act as they see fit so long as they hit whatever goals are in place for the business, whilst others maybe have tighter controls placed upon them. None of us has any idea what terms of engagement Catlin's employed on.

RE: Director of football - Jizbag - 11-05-2021

(11-05-2021, 05:06 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: I very much suspect the conversation went along the lines of...
- Kenny has offered to resign,I think we should consider it
- forget it, we are losing 700k a month we can't afford it. Besides he'll have us top by Christmas.

If that was the case then Catlin should have put him straight.

RE: Director of football - Pedalo_menders - 11-05-2021

I thought the whole point of resigning is that you don’t have to pay compensation. That’s why it was actually an honourable thing for Kenny to do. All parties would have been better off if it had been accepted.

RE: Director of football - TBP - 11-05-2021

(11-05-2021, 07:55 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: I thought the whole point of resigning is that you don’t have to pay compensation. That’s why it was actually an honourable thing for Kenny to do. All parties would have been better off if it had been accepted.

I suspect Kenny's offer was, "I'll resign, but you'll have to pay my contract up in full".

RE: Director of football - slayer - 11-05-2021

Deep, Catlin literally said it was his call

RE: Director of football - teeftwo - 12-05-2021

I remember talking to our CEO after another fairly dire performance towards the end of Andy Awford's second spell in charge. He stated quite clearly he really didn't want to have to sack another manager and it was evident his thoughts on the matter carry huge weight in the decision making process. Clearly this is right and proper for someone in his position.

I've no problem with Mark Catlin as our CEO and people calling for his head really should be careful what they wish for. He was brought in to bring stability to a club that had lurched from financial crisis to financial crisis for decades. He's been here 8 years and has managed to keep the club financially stable throughout that period. He's done a good job.

RE: Director of football - Cleaver Greene - 12-05-2021

Agree with Teeftwo. Careful what you wish for. We really don't know what goes on at Director level.

RE: Director of football - Peter_Mellor's_Got_No_Hair - 12-05-2021

Portsmouth FC Board: Michael Eisner, Breck Eisner, Eric Eisner, Anders Eisner, Andy Redman, Mark Catlin

Sincerely, without meaning to cause offence to any of the above, but having somebody in there with a greater knowledge of football, might be a good idea.

RE: Director of football - Tomsk - 12-05-2021

Oh go on then I'll do it

RE: Director of football - slayer - 12-05-2021

It's rather simple. To make the best decision on a subject, you want to consult some subject matter experts.

The expansion of the Magic Kingdom, directing the Expanse, and flogging telecoms in Spain aren't really helpful areas of expertise and experience to draw upon when you're weighing up the performance or prospects of a professional football manager in the third tier of English football.

RE: Director of football - Pedalo_menders - 13-05-2021

If the Eisners + Redman are relying completely on Catlins input for the footballing decisions, its no wonder that we are in the mess we are in (on field). Most bobby big bollock companies have an advisory board who possess the required experience & contacts to make things happen. Im surprised The Eisners didnt put one of these together. It would have paid for itself had they not extended Kennys contract and got the right man in immediately after the Oxford surrender.