TrueBlueArmy Forums
Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. (/showthread.php?tid=601)

Pages: 1 2

Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. - BigSmokeBlue - 10-05-2021

The jury is still out for me on the Cowley brothers, but the contract is reputedly to be on a four term. If true, that is crazy! Have we learned nothing from Jacketts tenure?

RE: Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. - Cleaver Greene - 10-05-2021

At least a rolling two years....
They have a massive job on their hands next season. The legacy of KJ will cast a very long shadow over Fratton Park for a very long time.
If it's not working in a years time - and I am positive the Cowleys can turn it around with their own squad of players, then we look for a new manager.
That way it's only one year we have to pay them off.
I hope it doesn't come to that.
PUP
PTID.

RE: Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. - Gerry Hatrick - 10-05-2021

Two years is quite long enough to find out if they've got what it takes.
Actually some would say 12 weeks has been enough!

RE: Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. - bluetagagain - 10-05-2021

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/2021/may/cowley-brothers-sign-new-pompey-deals/?fbclid=IwAR0Rjltek_rQQxngyc0dW1prY5evkeCVGLlLfAp7a4rtsKO9mE6aL7MKHSA

RE: Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. - stayinupforever - 10-05-2021

12 weeks has been long enough but it is what is. Disappointing.

RE: Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. - ForeverPompey - 10-05-2021

At least a quick decision was made so planning and rebuilding can begin straight away. I remain unconvinced by them but here's hoping I'm wrong. PUP.

RE: Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. - exgaffer - 10-05-2021

(10-05-2021, 01:17 PM)stayinupforever Wrote: 12 weeks has been long enough but it is what is. Disappointing.

How is 12 weeks long enough for any job, let alone creating a good team out of a bollox squad?

RE: Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. - DeepBlue - 10-05-2021

(10-05-2021, 01:17 PM)stayinupforever Wrote: 12 weeks has been long enough but it is what is. Disappointing.

It's totally ridiculous to suggest that results on the pitch in 12 games of playing with somone else's washed out squad could be any indication of whether or not they are suitable for the job.

It's the things we don't see .... like how they go about their business, how they work with the players, how they develop players... and the things we cannot have seen yet ... like how they operate in the market.  Those things are what should decide if we want them. 

But to suggest that the fans should only give any new manager 12 games before deciding if they are any good or not is the sort of short-term knee-jerk thinking that dooms a club to succesive failure after failure, and also the sort of support that would put any decent manager off applying for the job in the future. 

If they have impressed behind the scenes then why should we object to them getting the job permanently ?

RE: Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. - Jizbag - 10-05-2021

So why don't they tell us how long the contract is?

RE: Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. - exgaffer - 10-05-2021

This is the classic ‘can’t win’ situation isn’t it?

You could give a short contract, the manager could do really well, then be poached by someone else offering more job security. You would then get all the bleating of ‘xxxxx’ (substitute CEO name) is crap, he should have tied him up on a long term contract.

If you give a long contract and the manager doesn’t do as well as hoped, you get all the ‘wise after the event’ moaning types giving it the ‘xxxxx’ is crap, wtf was he doing giving that twat a long contract?

It really is a thankless task running a football club.

If you want a good manager, you have to give a decent length of contract.

I think we have now appointed a good manager and he deserves some job security so he can concentrate on the job in hand.

I’m really looking forward to next season.

PUP

RE: Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. - TBP - 10-05-2021

Was there any competition?

RE: Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. - Cressers - 10-05-2021

I feel underwhelmed at the news.

RE: Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. - stayinupforever - 10-05-2021

(10-05-2021, 01:28 PM)exgaffer Wrote:

How is 12 weeks long enough for any job, let alone creating a good team out of a bollox squad?

In my career I knew within 12 weeks judging by attitude and desire.

RE: Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. - TheSyrup - 10-05-2021

We were at home in a game that we needed to win and still one up front to run the channels.
Ring any bells
It’s a No from me I’m afraid.

RE: Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. - Bedhamptonblue69 - 10-05-2021

I’m still unsure about the pair of them . They somehow remind me of two dads running an under 15 Sunday league side !! But I guess it is what it is . Got to give them a season at least to see where they take us

RE: Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. - exterminator - 10-05-2021

So who were the alternatives to The Cowleys other than Stendel?

I believe we have got the brightest young coaching team in the lower divisions who once they have got the right personnel in will do very well in our working class city.

PUPPPU

RE: Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. - PompeyDB - 10-05-2021

Now that they're permanent, can we all stop putting an apostrophe in "Cowleys"?

Thanks muchly.

(10-05-2021, 02:09 PM)Cstayinupforever Wrote:
(10-05-2021, 01:28 PM)exgaffer Wrote:

In my career I knew within 12 weeks judging by attitude and desire.

Well the Cowleys seem to have a pretty good attitude and desire I’d say.

They only had a crap squad to work with didn’t they?

Most occupations wouldn’t expect you to do a decent job without the necessary tools ffs.

(10-05-2021, 02:18 PM)TheSyrup Wrote: We were at home in a game that we needed to win and still one up front to run the channels.
Ring any bells
It’s a No from me I’m afraid.

So where were they going to magic up these extra forwards from then Syrup?

Jackett didn’t believe in them did he? That the whole fecking point.

RE: Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. - Peter_Mellor's_Got_No_Hair - 10-05-2021

I don't think we have to decide right here and right now whether they will be good or bad. Time will tell, but we all hope that they will be a tremendous success!

Their previous record suggests some hope, but at the same time, it's not long enough at league level to make you feel certain. The flip side of that, is that everybody who is successful has started somewhere, and have been at the start of their career.

I think its right to say that this team wasn't theirs, and in my opinion are a poor side. More so their character and desire, rather than ability.

Picking a manager is a gamble, hence why they nearly all get the sack, so without knowing a credible list of the applicants, i have no idea if there was anybody else out there better or worse.

I like their enthusiasm, and i like their honesty. I'm a bit disappointed that they couldn't motivate this bunch of players, but then again i think they were a duff bunch, apart from 2 or 3 of them. I also think that DC wants to lose the 'FA guide to coaching references and terms' in the interviews i.e "we lacked the action before the final action". It can sound fantastically knowledgeable (you can just see MC & ME lapping it up), but when you lose to 3-1 to the bottom of the league side, it does make you question whether its complete bollocks, and whether a team of halfwits has any clue what he's going on about.

If they can make 8 or 9 signings, we should be able to start judging them quite quickly or certain things, like the style of play and their attacking or defensive mentality, but it may take 3 windows before you can really see what they are made of. And that's only if other teams don't really splash the cash next season and blow us away.

So best of luck to them. Make us proud of our team

RE: Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. - Gerry Hatrick - 10-05-2021

It's all very well to blame KJ for the squad but remember a lot of these signings are down to Phil Boardman. And guess what? The Cowleys love him (along with 'incredible' players like Marquis, Harness, Johnson and Hiwula). So those hoping for some kind of revolution any time soon might want to find another hobby on their Saturday afternoons.

RE: Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. - slayer - 10-05-2021

Gerry, can you source that?

RE: Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. - briefcase_wanchor - 10-05-2021

I like the cut of their jib, whereas I wouldn't wipe my 'arris with Kennys jib. They have done enough to get a shot and bring in their own faces. I also think next years league will be an easier proposition, especially if we get "daddys cash" Sun'lan out the way.

RE: Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. - BilltheCat - 10-05-2021

(10-05-2021, 08:34 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: bring in their own faces

Or faeces!

RE: Cowley’s set to be offered permanent long term contract. - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 10-05-2021

(10-05-2021, 08:46 PM)BilltheCat Wrote:
(10-05-2021, 08:34 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: bring in their own faces

Or faeces!

Top comment BillieTheCat, you read my mind