TrueBlueArmy Forums
Dennis Edwards - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Dennis Edwards (/showthread.php?tid=603)

Dennis Edwards - 66zoolane - 10-05-2021

Did anyone watch Dennis play? He was here 1964-68 and scored 16 goals. My mum just mentioned she went out with him for nearly a year.

My dad didn't mention he played for the youth team in the 50's until recenty either They sort of drip-feed information over decades.

RE: Dennis Edwards - briefcase_wanchor - 10-05-2021

(10-05-2021, 08:19 PM)66zoolane Wrote: Did anyone watch Dennis play? He was here 1964-68 and scored 16 goals. My mum just mentioned she went out with him for nearly a year.

My dad didn't mention he played for the youth team in the 50's until recenty either They sort of drip-feed information over decades.

Do you look like him?  Wink

RE: Dennis Edwards - exgaffer - 11-05-2021

(10-05-2021, 08:19 PM)66zoolane Wrote: Did anyone watch Dennis play? He was here 1964-68 and scored 16 goals. My mum just mentioned she went out with him for nearly a year.

Yes I saw Dennis play.

He was a wholehearted player but my main memory of him is an incredible miss at the Fratton End.

The ball was pretty much in but he somehow managed to lift it over the bar.  Smile

RE: Dennis Edwards - Gerry Hatrick - 11-05-2021

Perhaps they're trying to tell you something....... Big Grin

RE: Dennis Edwards - JIMBON - 11-05-2021

I remember thinking that, in later life, he looked a bit like Huckleberry Hound. Have you had any comments regarding that? Can remember him managing Chichester City, think he managed Romsey as well.

RE: Dennis Edwards - 66zoolane - 11-05-2021

(10-05-2021, 08:40 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote:

Do you look like him?  Wink

No, I look like Huckleberry Hound

RE: Dennis Edwards - 66zoolane - 11-05-2021

(11-05-2021, 07:39 AM)JIMBON Wrote: I remember thinking that, in later life, he looked a bit like Huckleberry Hound. Have you had any comments regarding that?

Ah...

RE: Dennis Edwards - exterminator - 11-05-2021

Yes I remember him, George Smith signed him after he scored a couple of goals against us. We nicknamed him ",Dobbin" others "Daisy" - he was slow and ponderous and couldn't him a cows backside with a banjo.

Hit the old FE clock from about 3 yards out IIRC.

RE: Dennis Edwards - Wightblue - 11-05-2021

Exterminator your bang on the money, I remember him at The Valley looking very good against Pompey and, lo and behold, we suddenly signed him - a classic case of act in haste and repent at leisure.

My memories of him (then from the halfway line towards the back of The North Terrace) are that he just strolled through games, hardly breaking out of a walk and attempting to look like an elegant passer of the ball, not a crowd pleaser !

George Smith did his limited level best for Pompey and did have a couple of reasonable seasons but his teams were peopled by too many nondescripts of which Edwards is just another example. He was perhaps almost ahead of his time when he scrapped The Reserves and opted for a squad of about 25 (although his plan was driven by financial requirements). Came to be haunted by his statement on TV that “the only thing around Portsmouth is fish” as a stream of youngsters from the area made it to the old First Division.

In Smith’s defence, he took up the reins from the lamentable Freddie Cox who I still think is the worst Pompey manager since 1946....and that’s quite an achievement considering some of the laughable jokers who have, allegedly, managed Pompey since his time.

RE: Dennis Edwards - Deebo - 11-05-2021

'That miss'. There must have been worse over time but I can't think of one. Hope he didn't miss an opening like that when he was going out with Zoolane's Mum.

RE: Dennis Edwards - Gerry Hatrick - 11-05-2021

I remember Dennis Moore.
Anyone like lupins?

RE: Dennis Edwards - oi oi saveloy - 11-05-2021

(11-05-2021, 11:37 AM)Deebo Wrote: 'That miss'. There must have been worse over time but I can't think of one. Hope he didn't miss an opening like that when he was going out with Zoolane's Mum.

Derek showers in front of the fratton end it was harder to miss the target but he managed it.
That was in my very early days watching Pompey as a nipper I’m amazed I kept going after the trauma of seeing that.

Showers! Highly appropriate. There's generations of traumatised punters haunting FP.

RE: Dennis Edwards - TBP - 11-05-2021

A Welsh international too. How had was the Welsh national team then?

RE: Dennis Edwards - exterminator - 11-05-2021

Yes Wight Blue., just had a look on Pompeyrama 19.12.1964 3-3 draw with Charlton Away. Very early in that season Ron Saunders had fallen out with Smith & been sold to Watford, Dobbin was supposedly his replacement goalscorer!

In that season Saunders scored 3 in 3 games, Dobbin Edwards 2 in 16 ffs !!

I think it was at the end of 64/65 season Smith scrapped the reserves & went with a first team squad of 16 !! (no subs in those days) due to financial reasons.

The best season that Smith had after that was 1967/68 when Ray Hiron, Ray Pointer & Albie McCann were banging in the goals.Pointer thenr got injured and it all fell apart.

Happy days. Some great names there.

RE: Dennis Edwards - SouthseaBubble - 11-05-2021

My recollection is that he very much divided fan opinion, though perhaps not equally. Many thought he was just slow and ponderous, others that he just thought much more quickly than his teammates and they were too slow for his speed of thought. I seem to recall a spectacular goal, possibly against Northampton, an elegant curler from about 35 yards by the touchline on the North Stand side.

RE: Dennis Edwards - mikey393 - 16-05-2021

I may be wrong but think he ended up owning a fish & Chip shop in Copnor.

Very nice guy.

RE: Dennis Edwards - Rick Pumpkin - 17-05-2021

Mikey, Richie Reynolds used to own the Ocean Swell chippie up on the corner of Torrington Road when I was a kid at Northern Grammar. Nice guy, used to love chatting about Pompey.

RE: Dennis Edwards - malcm - 17-05-2021

Rick...is that the chippy that used to be owned by the Ward family for ages? I used to live in Madeira Rd and used it a lot back then.

RE: Dennis Edwards - Wightblue - 17-05-2021

Rick, what years were you at PNGS ?

I was 1951- 59, the same time as the late Pat Neil.

Forever grateful to R R Hancock and his great teaching staff for showing me what I could aspire to be.

Do The Old Nortonians still exist at all ?

RE: Dennis Edwards - Rick Pumpkin - 17-05-2021

(17-05-2021, 08:43 AM)malcm Wrote: Rick...is that the chippy that used to be owned by the Ward family for ages? I used to live in Madeira Rd and used it a lot back then.

I'm not too sure mate. I used to live in Aylen Road as a kid, up until 1976 when we moved down to Hayling Avenue, so only used to go there up until the move. I recall it was Dicky still running the place at that time and not too sure who bought it when he sold up a few years later.

(17-05-2021, 10:22 AM)Wightblue Wrote: Rick, what years were you at PNGS ?

I was 1951- 59, the same time as the late Pat Neil.

Forever grateful to R R Hancock and his great teaching staff for showing me what I could aspire to be.

Do The Old Nortonians still exist at all ?

I was there for the last couple of years as a Grammar, then lived through the first two years as a comprehensive having merged with Brunel. When the family moved down to Hayling Avenue I started at Great Salterns which I have to say was probably the worst school on the island - I hated every minute and couldn't wait to get out and join the forces, which I managed to do on my 17th birthday.

And I think the Old Nortonians ended some years ago.

RE: Dennis Edwards - mikey393 - 20-05-2021

(17-05-2021, 07:49 AM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote: Mikey, Richie Reynolds used to own the Ocean Swell chippie up on the corner of Torrington Road when I was a kid at Northern Grammar.  Nice guy, used to love chatting about Pompey.

Rick you're spot on there about Richie owning the Fish & Chip Shop.

Really top guy with a canon ball shot on him as I remember.

RE: Dennis Edwards - Rick Pumpkin - 21-05-2021

(20-05-2021, 07:28 PM)mikey393 Wrote:
(17-05-2021, 07:49 AM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote: Mikey, Richie Reynolds used to own the Ocean Swell chippie up on the corner of Torrington Road when I was a kid at Northern Grammar.  Nice guy, used to love chatting about Pompey.

Rick you're spot on there about Richie owning the Fish & Chip Shop.

Really top guy with a canon ball shot on him as I remember.

71/72 was my first season and even today I remember the shot he scored with when we beat Fulham 6-3.  I couldn't believe you could hit a football so hard!

Over the years the memories have dimmed (plus some have been forgotten so I don't have to relive the horrors!), but there are still a few standout moments from when I started going to watch Pompey.  I found a box of programmes from that era in the attic last year and funnily enough Richie Reynolds and Ray Hiron featured more than most.