TrueBlueArmy Forums
BigMac looks like he’s leaving - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: BigMac looks like he’s leaving (/showthread.php?tid=614)

Pages: 1 2

BigMac looks like he’s leaving - BigSmokeBlue - 16-05-2021

An agreement can’t be reached on renewing his contract according to a number of reports this morning. Championship clubs circling. Shame because I don’t think we can bring in another keeper as good as him at this level and I’m not convinced by Bass.

RE: BigMac looks like he’s leaving - Jizbag - 16-05-2021

I heard that too.

Didn't Catlin say the club would be backing the Cowleys financially??

RE: BigMac looks like he’s leaving - stayinupforever - 16-05-2021

Financially within the realistic budget clearly.

RE: BigMac looks like he’s leaving - briefcase_wanchor - 16-05-2021

Put Williams on minimum wage and use the rest of his monthly dosh to keep McG.

RE: BigMac looks like he’s leaving - bluetagagain - 16-05-2021

Sell Harrison,Marquis,Harness,Downing and Raggett and there's more than enough money saved

RE: BigMac looks like he’s leaving - blueinbrum3 - 16-05-2021

Not good news when Pompey are supposedly looking to strengthen the squad. Not happened yet though. That player of the season award is the problem.

RE: BigMac looks like he’s leaving - ForeverPompey - 16-05-2021

Twitter (andy moon) says we decided against taking up the option of extending his contract by a year. I can't say I'm thrilled by that news. Interested to see where we find a better keeper.

RE: BigMac looks like he’s leaving - PeterD - 16-05-2021

(16-05-2021, 10:46 AM)It will be a big task for anyone to fill Big Macs boots as he has stopped so many mistakes by our back 4 especially RaggettBigSmokeBlue Wrote: An agreement can’t be reached on renewing his contract according to a number of reports this morning. Championship clubs circling. Shame because I don’t think we can bring in another keeper as good as him at this level and I’m not convinced by Bass.

RE: BigMac looks like he’s leaving - exgaffer - 16-05-2021

Maybe he fancies his chances at a higher level and has wage demands we can’t match.

Time will tell.

RE: BigMac looks like he’s leaving - blueinbrum3 - 16-05-2021

(16-05-2021, 01:09 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: Twitter (andy moon) says we decided against taking up the option of extending his contract by a year. I can't say I'm thrilled by that news. Interested to see where we find a better keeper.

Never mind ‘better’ as good as will be a challenge!

Can't disagree there.

RE: BigMac looks like he’s leaving - slayer - 16-05-2021

The player's rep has a Pompey tattoo on his arse and does the player a disservice if he signs up for more with us

RE: BigMac looks like he’s leaving - stayinupforever - 16-05-2021

Joe Hart on loan, depending on wages if course!?

RE: BigMac looks like he’s leaving - exterminator - 16-05-2021

It is quite simple really -

Bass was being touted for big money 18 months ago -we gave him a new contract on good money.

MacG isn't good on crosses, is smaller, older, and is not as good as distributing the ball as Bass. (He was fine with Jacksh!t hoofball) We had an option for another year on same or better money, football and goalkeeping has changed, players on new contracts will be at up to 40% less than before, take the offer or do one !!

Do you spend a lot of a limited budget on McG or stick with Bass and get in an experienced understudy as good as McDracula the Flapper on considerably less money.

Similar story with Close, there was an option for him on the same or better money, but the Cowleys have chosen new contract on the up to 40% less.

McG was a fine servant and won us many points when the team in front of him were gifting the opposition free goes at goal. Bass has shown desperate frailties on his few chances in goal. Remember Exeter in semi final of EFL? If he's our number one I will be seriously concerned. Good shot stopper but not sure what else yet. Hoping he has improved and willing to give him a go but wouldn't be confident of him behind a dodgy defence.

RE: BigMac looks like he’s leaving - Hammie - 16-05-2021

if a champ club comes calling we cannot compete on wages. Yes he is good but I'd be happy to see Bass made number one with a second keeper signed. Getting an extra keeper at this level is not that difficult. Not a player to break the wage structure for.

RE: BigMac looks like he’s leaving - bluetagagain - 16-05-2021

Sorry, but Bass doesn’t cut it for me. We need a good number one

RE: BigMac looks like he’s leaving - exterminator - 16-05-2021

Bass's potential is far greater than Dracula McFlapper's will ever be - great work by the Cowleys.

RE: BigMac looks like he’s leaving - slayer - 16-05-2021

It's too early for him to be a club number 1

RE: BigMac looks like he’s leaving - Jizbag - 17-05-2021

I'd be looking at Accrington's keeper.

RE: BigMac looks like he’s leaving - exterminator - 17-05-2021

(16-05-2021, 09:02 PM)scumslayer Wrote: It's too early for him to be a club number 1

The Accrington keeper is younger, so no it isn't too early to be No 1. 

Bass was rightly was given a 3.5 Yr contact  in Jan 2020, on good money to stave off interest from bigger clubs. Professional footballers can expect a wage cut of up to 40% due to the pandemic. You can't cut the wages of a player under contract so you activate it for new contracts. 

If  Dracula McFlapper doesn't like the new terms offered he can do one and take his flapping and poor distribution elsewhere.

RE: BigMac looks like he’s leaving - dsmg - 17-05-2021

You’re incredibly harsh on Mac. What’s wrong with his distribution, especially as under the Cowleys it’s roll it out to the side. Try watching the Salford debacle again and his umpteen other excellent matches. What were you expecting at this level? Sydney Opera house?

RE: BigMac looks like he’s leaving - Deebo - 17-05-2021

I would have at least expected hordes of wildebeest sweeping magestically across the plain.

RE: BigMac looks like he’s leaving - ForeverPompey - 17-05-2021

I had no idea anyone felt so negatively about McG. Comes as a surprise I must admit. Always thought he was more than decent and probably lower / mid-table championship standard. Always wished he was more commanding with crosses but maybe that's compared to Jamo! Arguably won us more points than any other individual perhaps other than Curtis, and that was playing behind the worst back 4 for many years.

RE: BigMac looks like he’s leaving - pondlife - 17-05-2021

I would absolutely agree with Exterminator. McG is adequate at this level but no more then that...He doesn't dominate his area as he should and his hesitancy on crosses has cost us several times this season. As with most 'keepers he will make that occasional stop that you might not expect, but by the same token all too often the ball ends up in the net when it should have been routinely dealt with.