TrueBlueArmy Forums
Whatmough - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Whatmough (/showthread.php?tid=617)

Whatmough - BigSmokeBlue - 17-05-2021

Jack is now the priority signing for our out of contract players. However, there are rumours that Millwall and Bristol City are taking an interest. If true, there is no way we can compete with Championship wages? Think this could be another first team player off to pastures new.

RE: Whatmough - ForeverPompey - 17-05-2021

Mixed feelings. A year ago I would have been very disappointed but Jack's knee issues have restricted his progress and could return at any time. He has been part of an under-achieving team so a fresh start might be good for all. Having said that, he is one I would still be ok with being here next season with better players alongside him to help him regain his form.

RE: Whatmough - slayer - 17-05-2021

Our fans are far too sentimental about this player.

RE: Whatmough - Hammie - 17-05-2021

at some stage he has to make the step from promising to established. Not sure he can do that in the champ as he probably won't be first pick. Do we gamble on his fitness or let him go with suitable positive comments?

RE: Whatmough - Cowespompey - 17-05-2021

Let him go ,he missed seven games through suspension at a vital time not to mention his injury record

RE: Whatmough - Pedalo_menders - 18-05-2021

You have a point Cowes. He massively let the side down last season; WTF was he playing at! However, the prospect of having Downing & Raggett as our only two CB's sends shivers down my spine.

RE: Whatmough - BigSmokeBlue - 18-05-2021

(18-05-2021, 12:21 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: You have a point Cowes. He massively let the side down last season; WTF was he playing at! However, the prospect of having Downing & Raggett as our only two CB's sends shivers down my spine.

It doesn’t bear thinking about.

RE: Whatmough - TBP - 18-05-2021

(18-05-2021, 12:21 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: You have a point Cowes. He massively let the side down last season; WTF was he playing at! However, the prospect of having Downing & Raggett as our only two CB's sends shivers down my spine.

They did ok in the last but one game, but then the manager changed a winning team.

RE: Whatmough - JIMBON - 18-05-2021

People do talk such cr@p on this board.

He did not let this club down. His first sending off was totally unjust and a very reasonable challenge. That would have removed 4 of his seven games he wax banned for. One true sending off in a season for a CH is far from letting people down.

And own goal wise, none were blatant mistakes, one was off Mac with no chance to avoid and the other two were desperate attempts at interceptions knowing failure to do so and you will be punished. Even the very best don't get that spot on 100% of the time.

He was far and away our best outfield player in2020/21.

RE: Whatmough - Pedalo_menders - 18-05-2021

That’s the great thing about this board, we all disagree on almost everything lol.

I stand by my comments about Jacks reds. The first one you could possibly write off as stupidity but to go in again, 2 footed, right in front of the ref, on the halfway line where you don’t need to make a challenge like that is unforgivable. Those 4 games cost us.

That’s not to say there were others who completely let the side down too but this thread is about Jack.

RE: Whatmough - Bluebob - 18-05-2021

(18-05-2021, 03:21 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: That’s the great thing about this board, we all disagree on almost everything lol.

I stand by my comments about Jacks reds. The first one you could possibly write off as stupidity but to go in again, 2 footed, right in front of the ref, on the halfway line where you don’t need to make a challenge like that is unforgivable. Those 4 games cost us.

That’s not to say there were others who completely let the side down too but this thread is about Jack.

Watching Oxford v Blackpool playoff and Oxfords player Sykes did an almost exactly the same foul that Jack committed in his second sending off and the player didn’t even get a yellow. Blackpool 2-0 up after 1/2 hr.

RE: Whatmough - ForeverPompey - 18-05-2021

I know this is going off topic, but as the score has just been mentioned, Blackpool or preferably Sunderland for me to go up. Sick of playing Sunderland and either of those are going to be strong again next season (plus Sunderland are looking like bankrolling a promotion push) whereas Lincoln and Oxford could be more flaky.

RE: Whatmough - briefcase_wanchor - 18-05-2021

Sunderland to go up for me. Will more than likely be stronger next season than those coming down.

Whatmough is our best outfield player, which makes his two reds (couldn't argue against either) totally unacceptable at that stage of the season. Why commit a red card challenge in the midfield area ?

RE: Whatmough - Hammie - 18-05-2021

did seem a pretty brainless thing to do, but then he is a centre half and they are not usually renowned for a high IQ

RE: Whatmough - Wightblue - 19-05-2021

Couldn’t agree more Briefcase with regards to both Sunderland being promoted and Jack being a good player who seems to have become reckless where recklessness isn’t required ie somewhere on the halfway line with an opponent who is going sideways posing no threat.

If he stays (debatable), I hope he will be much more measured in his approach next season, Cowley will undoubtedly be in his ear about stupid tackles.

RE: Whatmough - kindofblue - 19-05-2021

Well, Burgess was a graduate. Doesn’t necessarily guarantee a high IQ I know........

RE: Whatmough - Jizbag - 19-05-2021

We really missed Burgess last season.

RE: Whatmough - Jizbag - 19-05-2021

Whatmough to Bristol City! Strong rumour.

RE: Whatmough - Cleaver Greene - 19-05-2021

ForeverPompey wrote:
I know this is going off topic, but as the score has just been mentioned, Blackpool or preferably Sunderland for me to go up. Sick of playing Sunderland and either of those are going to be strong again next season (plus Sunderland are looking like bankrolling a promotion push) whereas Lincoln and Oxford could be more flaky.

Just to say, 80 minutes gone and Lincoln are 2-0 up. Never bet on football.

RE: Whatmough - briefcase_wanchor - 19-05-2021

Oh well, if we can’t get rid of the Mackems this season at least we can have a good larf at the inevitable meltdown on their board. They can’t even blame our fans this year.

RE: Whatmough - slayer - 19-05-2021

Whatmough has to think very carefully if he wants away from Pompey. He won't get away with his injury record and recent penchant for a red anywhere else. If is a move worth it for a dozen matches and maybe a few cup outings? I can see him moving every year for the rest of his career if he moves now