TrueBlueArmy Forums
The January window - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The January window (/showthread.php?tid=63)

The January window - Wightblue - 18-12-2020

Fast approaching and time to get your wish list in

I think we have an OKish first team (playoffs I think) but our cover really concerns me, as I posted on another thread, the thought of a couple of injuries/straight red cards to Naylor, Cannon and Whatmough, Raggett (never thought I’d write that) will leave us dreadfully exposed, the cover for our two first team backs is exceptionally questionable as well.

Ideally, I would love to see Ben Thomson come on loan (or a buy if we can afford him), the centre midfield would be so much better and with a bit of cover as well. Cover for Jack (who is only one tackle away from being seriously injured) and Raggett is needed, Downing and Nicolaissen I don’t rate that much.

So how do we afford them, somewhat up to the Eisners to fund the transfers and some creative accounting I think to get past the Salary Cap. Moving Downing and Bolton on for sure and maybe Close or  Morris for fees would be a help depending on adequate replacements being affordable.

Without strengthening of the squad, I fear the lottery of the playoffs again and the appalling prospect of staying in L1 as a distinct possibility......getting free of the Salary Cap seems to be a must to me.

RE: The January window - bluetagagain - 18-12-2020

I'd like to keep Hiwula ( if KJ ever plays him), I think Rasmus might go so we really would need another CB as Downing is useless. I'd really love a midfielder in, I think if we can get a box to box player (Thompson Angel ) or an attacking midfielder to play alongside Naylor, we'd be there.

RE: The January window - dsmg - 18-12-2020

Bluetag, we’ve got Jacobs who’s excellent at this level. Cannon was brilliant at breaking things up today and Rasmussen did fine.

RE: The January window - DeepBlue - 18-12-2020

(18-12-2020, 07:54 PM)dsmg Wrote: Bluetag, we’ve got Jacobs who’s excellent at this level. Cannon was brilliant at breaking things up today and Rasmussen did fine.

Cannon is playing so well at the moment do we need to ask the question 'do we need Ben Thompson?' (assuming we have any chance of getting him). 

Would it be right to replace Cannon at the moment ?

RE: The January window - mikey393 - 18-12-2020

Forget Ben Thompson. We bid for him on loan in the Summer as his transfer fee wages would be too much to buy. Millwall want to keep him so end of. I'd move Downing & Morris on as both aren't good enough especially if we get promoted. Extend Hiwula's contract until end of the season. Keep Ben Close as he can get goals from distance. Good back up for Jacobs at No.10 position. A good commanding attacking midfielder would be great. I thought we might be in for Gary Roberts when he left Wigan 36 now but playing at Bala Town, Non - League in Wales. Kenny not an admirer though.

RE: The January window - Gerry Hatrick - 18-12-2020

(18-12-2020, 08:32 PM)mikey393 Wrote: Forget Ben Thompson. We bid for him on loan in the Summer as his transfer fee wages would be too much to buy. Millwall want to keep him so end of. I'd move Downing & Morris on as both aren't good enough especially if we get promoted. Extend Hiwula's contract until end of the season. Keep Ben Close as he can get goals from distance. Good back up for Jacobs at No.10 position. A good commanding attacking midfielder would be great. I thought we might be in for Gary Roberts when he left Wigan 36 now but playing at Bala Town, Non - League in Wales. Kenny not an admirer though.

Blimey, if we're going for 36 year olds, I'd put Greg Halford ahead of Roberts any day

RE: The January window - bluetagagain - 18-12-2020

I'm not saying we get Thompson but we do need another central midfielder,yes cannon is playing well but not scoring,however, if he gets injured we're only left with Close or Morris both of whom IMO are barely L2 standard, we need someone better (even on loan). I see Jacobs more  as a wide player along with Williams,Harness and Curtis which is great. Although Rasmus played well there have been murmurs in the press that he might return to Denmark? in Jan as he's not happy with the amount of game time, so if that happens we need a CB

RE: The January window - hilsea12 - 19-12-2020

With Jack out for a couple of games Rasmas will get his match time, it's up to him to continue to improve.

RE: The January window - mikey393 - 23-12-2020

The other Ex Pompey Midfielder in the recent News is Michael Doyle now 39 & scored a wonder goal for Notts County against Dagenham & Redbridge from the half way line: www.facebook.com/watch/?v=584909408999808

RE: The January window - mikey393 - 03-01-2021

It appears that all of KJs targets we've made offers for have been rejected by the clubs. No doubt Ben Thompson was one of them. Let's keep trying for 2-3 decent experienced Championship level players or very promising Premier League youngsters.

RE: The January window - slayer - 03-01-2021

Funny how a season pans out. I think we are alright as we are, fitness willing.

RE: The January window - mikey393 - 03-01-2021

We could lose Rasmus, Hiwula & Pring. 

Really need to keep all 3 of them.

RE: The January window - hilsea12 - 03-01-2021

(03-01-2021, 04:49 PM)scumslayer Wrote: Funny how a season pans out. I think we are alright as we are, fitness willing.

We are in better shape than last year.

RE: The January window - bluebollox - 03-01-2021

(03-01-2021, 05:28 PM)hilsea12 Wrote:
(03-01-2021, 04:49 PM)scumslayer Wrote: Funny how a season pans out. I think we are alright as we are, fitness willing.

We are. But that CM without either Naylor or Cannon would be knackered. I just dont think Close or Morris do enough to be considered adequate replacements. So would like to see another CM come in, not BT though we need to move on as he's ruled himself out I read. 
If Pring leaves & Rasmus then replacements via loan system incoming.

RE: The January window - hilsea12 - 03-01-2021

(03-01-2021, 05:51 PM)bluebollox Wrote:
(03-01-2021, 05:28 PM)hilsea12 Wrote:

We are. But that CM without either Naylor or Cannon would be knackered. I just dont think Close or Morris do enough to be considered adequate replacements. So would like to see another CM come in, not BT though we need to move on as he's ruled himself out I read. 
If Pring leaves & Rasmus then replacements via loan system incoming.

IMO Morris is definetly not , and unfortuately Close is inconsistent, so KJ has work to do, I hope he is upto it.

RE: The January window - bluetagagain - 04-01-2021

Not sure we are in that much better shape player wise ( tactics and league points we are). We're still stuck with Downing,Bolton,and Morris and only replaced Pitman and Hawkins with a short loan (Hiwula), I know we've brought Jacobs in but I see him more as a wide attacking midfielder like Curtis or Harness. Rasmus may or may not go, Pring is recalled and still no strengthening of central Midfield ( Close and Morris don't do it for me IMO). I appreciate the lack of money we can spend plus the restrictions on squads etc but if Seddon replaces Pring and Rasmus and Hiwula stay, I think we'd be almost there, just need KJ to bring in a box to box/or attacking central midfielder (which he has being hinted at) and we'd be good in all positions. Here's hoping the season continues and doesn't get postponed or cancelled.

RE: The January window - hilsea12 - 04-01-2021

(04-01-2021, 02:12 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: Not sure we are in that much better shape player wise ( tactics and league points we are). We're still stuck with Downing,Bolton,and Morris and only replaced Pitman and Hawkins with a short loan (Hiwula), I know we've brought Jacobs in but I see him more as a wide attacking midfielder like Curtis or Harness.  Rasmus may or may not go, Pring is recalled and still no strengthening of central Midfield ( Close and Morris don't do it for me IMO). I appreciate the lack of money we can spend plus the restrictions on squads etc but if Seddon replaces Pring and Rasmus and Hiwula stay, I think we'd be almost there, just need KJ to bring in a box to box/or attacking central midfielder (which he has being hinted at) and we'd be good in all positions. Here's hoping the season continues and doesn't get postponed or cancelled.

I'll drink to that.  [Image: thumbsup.png]