TrueBlueArmy Forums
Brentford - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Brentford (/showthread.php?tid=649)

Pages: 1 2

Brentford - stayinupforever - 29-05-2021

If they can do it so can we.

RE: Brentford - exterminator - 29-05-2021

All my life apart from the last 2/3 yrs Brentford have been lower league minnows wirh two mencand a dog typecof crowds - and I grew up within about 10 miles of their ground.

I must say it irks me that they seemed to have got things right with managers signings, youtg team set up over the last few years. They have even got a new stadium (albeit a lop-sided plastic flat pack- no thanks) to go with their new found status.

RE: Brentford - Smirnoffexpress - 29-05-2021

Fair play to them,over the last few years they have deserved it.

RE: Brentford - DeepBlue - 29-05-2021

(29-05-2021, 05:52 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: Fair play to them,over the last few years they have deserved it.

They certainly have. They have built their success slowly with a long-term plan always in mind. 

I think our fans would have got frustrated with the regular selling of their best players and the slowness of the progress some time ago and forced the owners & management out.

RE: Brentford - Tomsk - 29-05-2021

(29-05-2021, 05:56 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: I think our fans would have got frustrated with the regular selling of their best players and the slowness of the progress some time ago and forced the owners & management out.

I think you're right

RE: Brentford - bluetagagain - 29-05-2021

Think you’re spot on Deep some of our supporters can’t even handle pre season

RE: Brentford - mikey393 - 29-05-2021

They are a very well run smaller club. They are a selling club each year normally but reinvest in good young talent. Toney was a top signing for them after selling Watkins & Benrahma.

RE: Brentford - kindofblue - 29-05-2021

Swapping places with their west London rivals Fulham. Had a look at their new riverside stand yesterday. Craven Cottage is a lovely old ball park. Not sure Fratton comes anywhere near it, though people still bang on about the Archibald Leitch stuff......

RE: Brentford - slayer - 29-05-2021

They spent good money on Toney and got the rewards.

That's ambition, that is.

RE: Brentford - Northstandgeorge - 29-05-2021

We have sold our best players every year orver the last 4 seasons . Trouble is the players replacing them have not been up to the job. Brentford have been operating at a much higher level investing decent money in the likes of Ollie Watkins etc and making vast profits when selling on. Not sure what they paid for Toney but he must be worth at least £20m in todays market. Brentford have been in the Championship for about 6 or 7 years gradually improving year on year. I dont agree Pompey fans would have forced out the owners or managers if we had followed that route. We havent done either despite the dire football we have played since the eisners took over

RE: Brentford - Rick Pumpkin - 30-05-2021

(29-05-2021, 05:56 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(29-05-2021, 05:52 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: Fair play to them,over the last few years they have deserved it.

They certainly have. They have built their success slowly with a long-term plan always in mind. 

I think our fans would have got frustrated with the regular selling of their best players and the slowness of the progress some time ago and forced the owners & management out.

Uh oh, the poor man's Peter Hitchens is spouting his drivel again.

Our supporters would almost certainly support a hierarchy and management that slowly rebuilt the club if, like Brentford, there was year-on-year evidence of improvement, even forgiving the odd seasonal blip.  What you're blind to Deep is that Brentford have continually replaced good players with yet more good players, have built a fantastic infrastructure and all the while have played attractive, committed football and all on crowds of much less than we've traditionally had.  What with you being the self-imposed font of knowledge on all things football I'd have thought you'd have at least watched a few of their games when they've been televised, but probably not.

If the owners and management at Pompey had tried to implement similar to Brentford you'd even have seen Cowes on here applauding them.  Instead, we've had to endure Tornante, Catlin and Jackett blundering their way cluelessly through that last four years, imposing a brand of football on us that should be made illegal.

I know you like to take any opportunity to slag posters on here and the wider Pompey support, but if you're going to make comments like the above then I'd advise you to start comparing apples to apples, not apples to a VW Golf.  As much as you think you're well educated and above the brain dead morons you think post on here, you're actually not very bright at all.

RE: Brentford - Jizbag - 30-05-2021

(30-05-2021, 08:19 AM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote:
(29-05-2021, 05:56 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:

Uh oh, the poor man's Peter Hitchens is spouting his drivel again.

Our supporters would almost certainly support a hierarchy and management that slowly rebuilt the club if, like Brentford, there was year-on-year evidence of improvement, even forgiving the odd seasonal blip.  What you're blind to Deep is that Brentford have continually replaced good players with yet more good players, have built a fantastic infrastructure and all the while have played attractive, committed football and all on crowds of much less than we've traditionally had.  What with you being the self-imposed font of knowledge on all things football I'd have thought you'd have at least watched a few of their games when they've been televised, but probably not.

If the owners and management at Pompey had tried to implement similar to Brentford you'd even have seen Cowes on here applauding them.  Instead, we've had to endure Tornante, Catlin and Jackett blundering their way cluelessly through that last four years, imposing a brand of football on us that should be made illegal.

I know you like to take any opportunity to slag posters on here and the wider Pompey support, but if you're going to make comments like the above then I'd advise you to start comparing apples to apples, not apples to a VW Golf.  As much as you think you're well educated and above the brain dead morons you think post on here, you're actually not very bright at all.

Post of the weekend!!

RE: Brentford - Tomsk - 30-05-2021

(29-05-2021, 06:34 PM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote: Our supporters would almost certainly support a hierarchy and management that slowly rebuilt the club if, like Brentford, there was year-on-year evidence of improvement, even forgiving the odd seasonal blip

They absolutely wouldn't, well a considerable vocal percentage wouldn't. Slowly but surely is barely acceptable and the first hint of a downturn and there'd be toys flying out of that pram

RE: Brentford - DeepBlue - 30-05-2021

How can I be blind to the fact that "Brentford have continually replaced good players with yet more good players, have built a fantastic infrastructure " when that is precisely the type of slow building that I am praising them for ? 

They have invested in the infrastructure and lived on the pitch on what is basically an 'eat what you kill' policy.  Sound familiar ?  Yes, they have done it brilliantly and so far we have failed miserably but the tactics are the same.  

But the fans at nearly all clubs, us included, are too impatient for that approach. Maybe it can only work at a tradiitonallly small club with low expectations where the fans do not have a feeling of entitlement to higher things because of their history like Sunderland.

Others agreed with my post ... the fact that you had a personal go at me rather than them makes me think you are attacking the poster rather than the post.   If you want to debate the point I am making then do so (but try to do better than saying I am blind to the point I am making) but I can't be bothered to engage in personal attacks. 

RE: Brentford - exgaffer - 30-05-2021

(29-05-2021, 09:22 PM)kindofblue Wrote: Swapping places with their west London rivals Fulham. Had a look at their new riverside stand yesterday. Craven Cottage is a lovely old ball park. Not sure Fratton comes anywhere near it, though people still bang on about the Archibald Leitch stuff......

‘Ball park’? Ffs When did Craven Cottage relocate to the US?  Smile 

It’s a football ground, and Fratton Park certainly does compare well with it in the ‘lovely old ground’ stakes.

As for Brentford, their new ground isn’t a patch on Griffin Park imo.

Shiny and new yes, atmospheric no. I suppose if your main criteria is comfort and catering, the new one might fit the Bill, I’m more interested in the football myself.

Congratulations to Brentford on their promotion though, they play good attacking football and I wish them well.

RE: Brentford - slayer - 30-05-2021

Brentford have bought low, sold high, built a warchest through compound gains, blown it for a proper go and succeeded.

This is the exact model we were promised but we have been fucking it up because we were run by narcissists and schophants who haven't got the first clue what they are doing.

They were enabled every step of the way by apologists like Deep.

(30-05-2021, 10:49 AM)scumslayer Wrote: Brentford have bought low, sold high, built a warchest through compound gains, blown it for a proper go and succeeded.

This is the exact model we were promised but we have been fucking it up because we were run by narcissists and schophants who haven't got the first clue what they are doing.

They were enabled every step of the way by apologists like Deep.

"Blown it for a proper go" ?????? 

That's the whole point, that is exactly what they didn't do.   

They got 48m in last summer for Watkins & Benrahma and the most they spent was £5m on Toney.  They most certainly did not 'blow it for a proper go'. 

If supporting a management policy that is trying to do a similar thing as Brentford have done is something to be criticised for then I make no apologies for it.   It's taken them 9 years since Benham took over, and he has stuck to his philosophy and statistical approach to recruitment throughout that time despite downturns in the progress. I'm just not sure many fan bases would have given him that amount of time.

RE: Brentford - kindofblue - 30-05-2021

(30-05-2021, 10:11 AM)exgaffer Wrote:
(29-05-2021, 09:22 PM)kindofblue Wrote: Swapping places with their west London rivals Fulham. Had a look at their new riverside stand yesterday. Craven Cottage is a lovely old ball park. Not sure Fratton comes anywhere near it, though people still bang on about the Archibald Leitch stuff......

‘Ball park’? Ffs When did Craven Cottage relocate to the US?  Smile 

It’s a football ground, and Fratton Park certainly does compare well with it in the ‘lovely old ground’ stakes.

As for Brentford, their new ground isn’t a patch on Griffin Park imo.

Shiny and new yes, atmospheric no. I suppose if your main criteria is comfort and catering, the new one might fit the Bill, I’m more interested in the football myself.

Congratulations to Brentford on their promotion though, they play good attacking football and I wish them well.
Well - Fratton Park doesn’t have the great original frontage that Craven Cottage has, it’s not right on the Thames with a bold new stand in progress. Apart from that FP is great and I certainly wouldn’t want an out of town flat pack. Fulham apparently had to buy a bit of the Thames to get the new stand going. As for ballpark, you’ll have to forgive me - just been reading a book on the Brooklyn Dodgers and Ebbetts Field.

RE: Brentford - SouthseaBubble - 30-05-2021

"Brentford have bought low, sold high, built a warchest through compound gains, blown it for a proper go and succeeded. This is the exact model we were promised..."

I'm not sure that this was the exact model we were promised. I thought the main idea was to focus on the youth academy and develop our own players. This isn't what Brentford have done. They closed their Academy five years ago and since then have just run a Development Squad/B team (no pun intended) comprising mainly 19/20 year-olds on two-year contracts presumably rejected from elsewhere (certainly true in one case I know of personally, now a L1 defender). They play under-23/under-21 teams from other clubs and some games against non-league teams. But none of the big-money sales they have made in recent years, such as Maupay, Watkins and Benrahma have come through this system, so to that extent scumslayer is right. Being attacking players, they are also going to fetch more than defenders, on the whole. Under Brentford's data-driven system of recruiting, they signed Toney, who has clearly been a great hit there. But based on their respective records at Peterborough and Doncaster, I don't think you'd have put Marquis too far behind him, on the face of it. What concerns me is that in the past four years, only Ben Close has established himself in the first team, and even he in the past two seasons has played fewer games than in the previous two. I don't think our youth set-up was generally that highly rated in the past (presumably the reason for us not getting Mount, Ward-Prowse and Oxlade-Chamberlain into it, I don't know) but previously we had actually produced quite a number of very good players, Webster and Wallace most recently, Ritchie and Ward before that (but I can't remeber when we last produced a successful striker - Ward scored a lot but from midfield.) So just when we most need the academy to produce, it hasn't done so. And the gap from academy to first team is a difficult one to bridge, even at lower league level. Time for a rethink?

It is also true that expectations have been low at Brentford. My son used to go their Football in the Community programme and we quite often went to Griffin Park. They had a small but pretty consistent following in an area where the temptation is just to follow Chelsea. I don't think anyone ever contemplated Brentford playing a league match against them ever again.

Southseabubble

I think you can add Whatmough to the recent years success list, and surely Chaplin fits the striker requirement. Bass is halfway to being another success, and lets hope Alfie Stanley can be another.

In fact you can  very nearly make a pretty decent team of our youth products in the past dozen of years or so ...  
Bass
Ward Whatmough Webster Haunstrup 
Wallace Close  Pack  Ritchie
Chaplin ????

but can't think of another striker unless we add Stanley, or maybe Oxlade-Chamberlain

RE: Brentford - mikey393 - 30-05-2021

(29-05-2021, 09:49 PM)scumslayer Wrote: They spent good money on Toney and got the rewards.

£5M

RE: Brentford - SouthseaBubble - 30-05-2021

Yes, of course Whatmough and Chaplin, how could I forget. But they aren't very recent successes - both had 'made it' with us before the Eisners came in 2017. For 'Ward scored a lot', that should obviously read Wallace. That was a lot of typos in one word! But I think my basic point that the academy does not seem to be producing a sufficient hit rate enough to support the current strategy remains. Even Bass is now 23 and so was out of the academy system by 2017. I do hope Stanley makes it - with us.

RE: Brentford - slayer - 30-05-2021

(30-05-2021, 06:30 PM)mikey393 Wrote:
(29-05-2021, 09:49 PM)scumslayer Wrote: They spent good money on Toney and got the rewards.

£5M

Wages

RE: Brentford - Pompey_in_Derby - 30-05-2021

Changing the subject slightly....

Made a refreshing change that all 4 clubs in the Championship to Premier League play-offs had a similar level of top flight experience. Without checking the full details, reckon Brentford have previously spent longer in the top-flight than any of the other 3, although that was back in the 1930s and 40s. All of Barnsley, Swansea and Bournemouth are relatively new kids on the block when it comes to the occasional season in the top flight.

Despite seeing Pompey at Griffin Park on 3 occasions (2-2, 4-1 and 3-2 defeats), I never managed to sample the 4 pubs on the 4 corners that was the ground's main claim to fame - did anyone else on here ever get to them?

RE: Brentford - Tufnell_Chimes - 30-05-2021

(30-05-2021, 07:34 PM)scumslayer Wrote:
(30-05-2021, 06:30 PM)mikey393 Wrote:

£5M

Wages

Benrama + Watkins = £60m

I think they could cover the wages.