TrueBlueArmy Forums
Whatmough to Wigan... - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Whatmough to Wigan... (/showthread.php?tid=658)

Pages: 1 2

Whatmough to Wigan... - blueinbrum3 - 02-06-2021

apparently going to happen according to Chris Wise on twitter and re-tweeted by Andrew Moon. Better financial package than offered by Pompey apparently despite their financial issues.

RE: Whatmough to Wigan... - DeepBlue - 02-06-2021

(02-06-2021, 03:22 PM)blueinbrum3 Wrote: apparently going to happen according to Chris Wise on twitter and re-tweeted by Andrew Moon. Better financial package than offered by Pompey apparently despite their financial issues.

can't believe he couldn't find better then Wigan ... though he was a cert to go to the championship. 

Perhaps he got on well with Leam Richardson.

RE: Whatmough to Wigan... - Roybatty - 02-06-2021

Wow! Outbid by Wigan,they were bankrupt last season!

RE: Whatmough to Wigan... - Bluebob - 02-06-2021

(02-06-2021, 03:22 PM)blueinbrum3 Wrote: apparently going to happen according to Chris Wise on twitter and re-tweeted by Andrew Moon. Better financial package than offered by Pompey apparently despite their financial issues.

Absolute disgrace, this for me shows a total lack of ambition by the club and for the first time I question the club owners ambition. For Jack to go to Wigan shows how badly he has been treated, he is a local lad who would much rather play for his home club in front of 20k a week than 5k.

(02-06-2021, 04:00 PM)Bluebob Wrote:

Absolute disgrace, this for me shows a total lack of ambition by the club and for the first time I question the club owners ambition. For Jack to go to Wigan shows how badly he has been treated, he is a local lad who would much rather play for his home club in front of 20k a week than 5k.

I reckon there will be seven or eight clubs in league one next season spending more than us, with Wigan definitely one of them under new owners.  

But that will just make beating them all that much sweeter and we can laugh when they go into administration because they overspent.  At least four or five of them will be spending big to remain in league one ... where is the sense in that ? 

Far better to do it without spending big as Blackpool & Lincoln proved this season.

RE: Whatmough to Wigan... - Pedalo_menders - 02-06-2021

Don’t worry, Deep will be along soon to tell us there was nothing we could have done to keep him lol

(02-06-2021, 04:09 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Don’t worry, Deep will be along soon to tell us there was nothing we could have done to keep him lol

We could have kept him easily if we were prepared to break the budget.  Doesn't mean we should have done so though.
And I won't panic until we know who we are replacing him with.  

He was the one of the 4 that I would have loved to have kept and it's very disappointing that he has chosen to go, but I'm more disappointed at his decision than the club's ... he is the one player I though might show a bit of loyalty after the club stood by him during his injuries.

RE: Whatmough to Wigan... - STEVE - 02-06-2021

(02-06-2021, 03:57 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:

can't believe he couldn't find better then Wigan ... though he was a cert to go to the championship. 

Perhaps he got on well with Leam Richardson.

Better THAN Wigan.

RE: Whatmough to Wigan... - slayer - 02-06-2021

Wigan? Fuck me...

Surely Jack's just calling on his old coach to drive his price up for him....

...right?

RE: Whatmough to Wigan... - briefcase_wanchor - 02-06-2021

Maybe he secretly likes rugby league.

RE: Whatmough to Wigan... - PeterD - 02-06-2021

All the best for Jack. They are paying a wage he deserves. We all need to get a life and get over that we have a small budget and players do not have to take pay cut.  Big Grin

RE: Whatmough to Wigan... - Bluebob - 02-06-2021

(02-06-2021, 04:20 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(02-06-2021, 04:09 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Don’t worry, Deep will be along soon to tell us there was nothing we could have done to keep him lol

We could have kept him easily if we were prepared to break the budget.  Doesn't mean we should have done so though.

He was the one of the 4 that I would have loved to have kept and it's very disappointing that he has chosen to go, but I'm more disappointed at his decision than the club's ... he is the one player I though might show a bit of loyalty after the club stood by him during his injuries.

Got to disagree with you Deep. The lad has a young family and why shouldn’t he look after them it’s not like he is on huge money, probably 2k a week at most. And being injured is part an parcel of a footballers life. It is really shocking that he has been let down like this. Really short sighted of the club to let him go.total lack of ambition. Cowley said he is the one player he wanted to keep. I’m not panicking at all but on his day he is one of the best defenders in league 1.

RE: Whatmough to Wigan... - Hammie - 02-06-2021

(02-06-2021, 03:59 PM)Roybatty Wrote: Wow! Outbid by Wigan,they were bankrupt last season!

which sums up the stupidity of how most clubs are run and the fans who feel we should outbid a club who went bust so recently. 

Jack is decent but may well break down again. For the same or less money we can probably do just as well or better. 
Cowley included not carrying too many injured players in the squad as part of his recruitment plan interview. With a couple on the books already, I would imagine that counted against Jack.

(02-06-2021, 08:01 PM)Bluebob Wrote:
(02-06-2021, 04:20 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:

Got to disagree with you Deep. The lad has a young family and why shouldn’t he look after them it’s not like he is on huge money, probably 2k a week at most. And being injured is part an parcel of a footballers life. It is really shocking that he has been let down like this. Really short sighted of the club to let him go.total lack of ambition. Cowley said he is the one player he wanted to keep. I’m not panicking at all but on his day he is one of the best defenders in league 1.

Family is another reason he should have stayed.  His partner has just given birth and that is no time to upsticks to the other side of the country and take her away from her local support network.  I would say he is letting her down too.  Mind you I do not know how low the Pompey offer was compared to what he was on before but if it was 5% to 10% then I'm disappointed in him. 

I agree that he is one of the best defenders in the league, I really wanted him to decide to stay.

RE: Whatmough to Wigan... - STEVE - 02-06-2021

Whatmough can you do.

RE: Whatmough to Wigan... - BigSmokeBlue - 03-06-2021

According to Andrew Moon tweet on BBC Radio Solent, Wigan have offered a longer term contract, rather than a better paid one. Apparently, we only offered a one year deal with a second year triggered if Jack played a certain number of games.

RE: Whatmough to Wigan... - Pangus - 03-06-2021

I am really upset to see Jack go, when he is free of injury he is a class player, 
To me this Whatmough move gives out some disturbing messages,  
1. By Cowley's own admission Jack is a championship standard defender who he wanted to retain.
2. Within our obviously very modest budget, which obviously can't compete even with Wigan's who are only recently out of administration, how are we going to be able to recruit quality players to rebuild the squad other than relying on non-league or loan players.
3. These events again show up the astonishing lack of ambition and investment by our owners.

RE: Whatmough to Wigan... - exterminator - 03-06-2021

(03-06-2021, 05:10 AM)BigSmokeBlue Wrote: According to Andrew Moon tweet on BBC Radio Solent, Wigan have offered a longer term contract, rather than a better paid one. Apparently, we only offered a one year deal with a second year triggered if Jack played a certain number of games.

I can't see anything wrong with that -,we got caught out last time by giving him a long contract only for him to get injured again - once bitten, twice shy.

I  read somewhere that the last surgery he had on his knee was of a pioneering type and it isn't clear yet how long "the repair" will last .........

RE: Whatmough to Wigan... - The Realist - 03-06-2021

(03-06-2021, 09:44 AM)Pangus Wrote: I am really upset to see Jack go, when he is free of injury he is a class player, 
To me this Whatmough move gives out some disturbing messages,  
1. By Cowley's own admission Jack is a championship standard defender who he wanted to retain.
2. Within our obviously very modest budget, which obviously can't compete even with Wigan's who are only recently out of administration, how are we going to be able to recruit quality players to rebuild the squad other than relying on non-league or loan players.
3. These events again show up the astonishing lack of ambition and investment by our owners.

Why is a 'Championship standard defender' going to Wigan, perhaps not quite as good as we think?

RE: Whatmough to Wigan... - Rick Pumpkin - 03-06-2021

We lost Jed Wallace and people had meltdowns online, we lost Adam Webster and people had meltdowns online too, so Whatmough moving on will be no different.  Unlike the last manager, this time around I'm expecting to see better replacements especially as Cowley has talked up his success in the transfer market and is expected to deliver.

And as for this 'one of our own' bollocks, they all are until someone comes along with a better contract and then you can't see their arses for dust.  We've lost better than sicknote Jack in the past and we've still progressed (last season excepted).  The club has been loyal to him beyond what's reasonable in the way they've backed him with new contracts after long periods out injured, so to offer a one-year deal with a second year conditional on appearances seems eminently sensible in these financially constrained days.  If Wigan want to carry the risk of giving him a longer deal then good luck to them.

RE: Whatmough to Wigan... - DeepBlue - 03-06-2021

Because not many clubs would take a risk on his knee. 

Without his injuries he would clearly have been championhip class (or higher ... I'd rate him on a par with Webster & Clarke) but champonship wages would be a  big gamble.  As in indeed are league One wages.

RE: Whatmough to Wigan... - Rick Pumpkin - 03-06-2021

(03-06-2021, 11:00 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: Because not many clubs would take a risk on his knee. 

Without his injuries he would clearly have been championhip class (or higher ... I'd rate him on a par with Webster & Clarke) but champonship wages would be a  big gamble.  As in indeed are league One wages.

Couldn't agree more.

RE: Whatmough to Wigan... - Pedalo_menders - 03-06-2021

I would suggest that having Raggett and Downing as your back pairing is a far greater gamble than matching Wigan’s wages to keep your only competent CB.

RE: Whatmough to Wigan... - DeepBlue - 03-06-2021

(03-06-2021, 12:11 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: I would suggest that having Raggett and Downing as your back pairing is a far greater gamble than matching Wigan’s wages to keep your only competent CB.

Indeed it would be but only a certified pessimist would consider the possibility of us not signing a couple more centre backs to fight for places.

RE: Whatmough to Wigan... - Rocketman - 03-06-2021

I don't understand all the love-in about Whatmough. Yes he "may" be a championship CB when he is fit, but he's had an appalling injury record, and his two sending's off and two own-goals didn't exactly help at such a critical time. A fully fit and head-screwed-on JW would undoubtedly have been our best CB, since Matt C (or in my view CB), but he hasn't been, and may never be. So I think the Cowleys have got it absolutely right.