TrueBlueArmy Forums
Building a side in their own image - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Building a side in their own image (/showthread.php?tid=669)

Building a side in their own image - teeftwo - 06-06-2021

I don't know why there is all this panic about this player going, that player coming in. Danny Cowley has been pretty clear about the way he wants to approach the game. To do this he has to assemble a balanced squad that can put out a side to fulfil that objective.

I think we can all agree that what we haven't had of late is a particularly balanced side. Some of our current players, as good as they may be individually, may not be suited to the new style of play.

What I want to see this season is a well oiled machine that is greater than the sum of it's parts, not one or two decent players frustrated by the inability of the others to carry out the game plan. I want to see players who are fit, fast and can last 90 minutes. I want to see players who have been coached well in the tactics employed and who have been given fitness targets to achieve to enable them to do so for the whole match.

RE: Building a side in their own image - slayer - 06-06-2021

And for this we waive goodbye to players of the calibre of Jack Whatmough and plan to achieve this with Raggett and Downing, both of which demonstrated consistently at the tail end of last season that they are patently not comfortable playing out from the back, which is the way Danny Cowley wants to approach the game.

Panic is a strong word but for all the skill and all the will of Danny Cowley, if we pay peanuts, we get monkeys.

RE: Building a side in their own image - The Realist - 06-06-2021

(06-06-2021, 09:31 AM)scumslayer Wrote: And for this we waive goodbye to players of the calibre of Jack Whatmough and plan to achieve this with Raggett and Downing, both of which demonstrated consistently at the tail end of last season that they are patently not comfortable playing out from the back, which is the way Danny Cowley wants to approach the game.

Panic is a strong word but for all the skill and all the will of Danny Cowley, if we pay peanuts, we get monkeys.

I think Jacks sending off at MK Dons showed that for all the ability he may have he does n't have the skill to play out from the back, so the Cowleys would have had to recruit if they wanted to play that style of football (even if Jack stayed).

RE: Building a side in their own image - Tomsk - 06-06-2021

We've got owners who are proper business people, a new young manager who (seems to) know what he's about, rather than blubbing about everything why not give him/them a chance and see how it goes.

If it all does go tits up there's always the nightmare scenario if us getting relegated and Orient getting promoted*

* just throwing that in for those already proper wetting themselves Big Grin

RE: Building a side in their own image - Hammie - 07-06-2021

might be time for some to take a month off and let the club rebuild itself. Which is pretty much what is going on from top to bottom. (this side of the Atlantic)

RE: Building a side in their own image - slayer - 08-06-2021

Very happy with the management installed and the playing philosophy, but alarmed by just how many signings they are going to need for us to challenge.

I reckon they're going to need three windows minimum.

The future is bright but fuck me what a waste of four years.

RE: Building a side in their own image - ForeverPompey - 08-06-2021

Interesting to see we have lost out to MK Dons for Scott twine... if indeed we were ever seriously interested. If we were and MK are a more exciting prospect then I would be concerned particularly as their manager sold the club to them. I hope our twin managers are capable of selling Pompey to players.

RE: Building a side in their own image - Pedalo_menders - 08-06-2021

Whatmough in the news today saying Cowley wanted him and was ok at giving a longer contract but the club said no. Not really letting the manager build the team in his own image then…

Why was Kenny allowed to sign shit players on 3 year contracts but Cowley can’t retain 1 proven player?

RE: Building a side in their own image - Hammie - 08-06-2021

would you sign Jack on a long term contract? Nothing to do with his attitude or ability. We all know that he might or might not be fit to play regularly but there is a very fair chance that he might break down again.

RE: Building a side in their own image - Pedalo_menders - 08-06-2021

(08-06-2021, 06:22 PM)Hammie Wrote: would you sign Jack on a long term contract? Nothing to do with his attitude or ability. We all know that he might or might not be fit to play regularly but there is a very fair chance that he might break down again.

I would but that’s not really the point. The point is that Cowley wanted to offer a longer contract and the club vetoed it. He isn’t being allowed to manage his own budget.

RE: Building a side in their own image - Hammie - 09-06-2021

you are a very long way away
!

RE: Building a side in their own image - BilltheCat - 10-06-2021

I thought that this was a good interview - especially for those with night-time incontinence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wavS001ArTc

RE: Building a side in their own image - Hammie - 10-06-2021

the joys of having to pee through the night