TrueBlueArmy Forums
England - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: England (/showthread.php?tid=705)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: England - TheSyrup - 30-06-2021

Hopefully they will get smashed on Saturday as they certainly don’t represent me 
W4nkers

RE: England - Gerry Hatrick - 30-06-2021

Anyone else find the hysterical reaction to beating Germany somewhat embarrassing. I mean the Germans themselves couldn't care less who they beat as long as they win things. Unlike some of us, they are not still fighting World War Two and just want their national side to do well regardless of the opposition. Winning was the main thing - it being the Germans was the cherry on the cake, no more. And the danger with these fixations on perceived 'rivals' and penalty shoot-outs that the media love so much is that it's a distraction to the main objective of the tournaments which is to put a piece of silverware on the table.

RE: England - bluebollox - 30-06-2021

(30-06-2021, 07:31 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: Anyone else find the hysterical reaction to beating Germany somewhat embarrassing. I mean the Germans themselves couldn't care less who they beat as long as they win things. Unlike some of us, they are not still fighting World War Two and just want their national side to do well regardless of the opposition. Winning was the main thing - it being the Germans was the cherry on the cake, no more. And the danger with these fixations on perceived 'rivals' and penalty shoot-outs that the media love so much is that it's a distraction to the main objective of the tournaments which is to put a piece of silverware on the table.

I think you'll find the Germans do see it as a rivalry. Words last night from the German Ambassador was it? "the rivalry will continue" or words to that effect. Nothing to do with WW2 either, but could be we hadn't beaten them in a sudden death game since 66??
As for the media-well thats just them isn't it. No big deal.

RE: England - Pedalo_menders - 30-06-2021

I have been traumatised by the Germans ever since Euro '96. No miserable coont (and I say it in the most endearing terms) is going to stop me enjoying it.

RE: England - Tufnell_Chimes - 30-06-2021

The Germans have always seen the dutch as the big rivals, they actually quite like us. My old neighbour who's German and a big Bayern Munich fan could never understand our obsession with it.

RE: England - slayer - 03-07-2021

Come on England. Unfamiliar mixture of pride, faith, and dare I say trust in this squad

RE: England - suffolkpompey - 03-07-2021

This BBC pre match stuff is fit for the sick bucket.

Can't disagree

RE: England - Northstander - 03-07-2021

Happy with that. Thought Ukraine did well 1st half, those 2 early 2nd half goals blew them away. Bring on The Danes

Another proud night to be an Englishman

RE: England - Hammie - 03-07-2021

great performance tonight. Feet back on the floor by Wednesday.

RE: England - Tufnell_Chimes - 03-07-2021

Where’s Jiz and his Southgate-out call. Hmmmm.

Denmark seem to be playing with Erikson as a twelfth man - not easy, but its at Wembley, so there’s that.

RE: England - muschi - 03-07-2021

Yep a night to Celebrate being English foreshore.

As one who witnessed 66 first hand, the way we were cheated in 70 I have to say this team is on a par with that 1970 team which in my mind was the finest we ever produced.

Agree with feet on the groud approach but tonight is one to enjoy.

RE: England - bluebollox - 03-07-2021

Anyone else think this is the golden generation? Pundits & the press used to say the same about Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes etc. But did they deliver like this team/squad? Englands strength in depth is amazing, Saka injured so up steps Sancho. Look @ the bench. I think a lot has been written about Southgate but tactically he seems to have got it absolutely spot on this far.
Is it coming home-I wouldn't bet against it.

RE: England - Pedalo_menders - 03-07-2021

Special thanks must go to Sweden for roughing Ukraine up for 120 mins. They had nothing left in the tank.

We were able to rest our big guns so should be a cracking game against the Danes next week. Two northern European nations who can't complain about the heat!

Opponents must be thinking: don't let them have headers!

RE: England - Smirnoffexpress - 04-07-2021

They have plenty of time yet to fook it up, Denmark are no mugs.

RE: England - Trarchus - 04-07-2021

Great result and a great game.  I'm fast becoming a Southgate fan he's doing a fantastic job.
Gets results, 5 clean sheets at this level is a good achievement  
Has assembled a very good team. 
Tactically sound.
Love seeing the youngsters play and do well.
Not afraid to switch and change the team.
Has got the squad very focused and united. 

Roll on the Italy final.

RE: England - Jizbag - 04-07-2021

I think I got it wrong about Southgate, I'm happy to say. We looked fantastic last night, and solid against Germany. I have a feeling we'll come up against Italy in the final...that will be a tremendous match. And I shall be in a bar in Ibiza! Smile

RE: England - Tufnell_Chimes - 04-07-2021

Well done for putting your hand up. Just think, if the papers hadn’t done a job on Alardyce, we might never have known. Southgate never really had much success with club management but he seems to suit the demands of the managing the national team. Liked how after last nights win he was keen to talk more about the players left on the bench and the three cut from the 26.

Still would've taken Bamford rather than Calvert-Lewin tho’.

RE: England - Pedalo_menders - 04-07-2021

Just checked the fifa rankings and Denmark are the highest ranked side we've played so far:
10th Denmark
12th Germany
14th Croatia
24th Ukraine
40th Czechia
44th Scotland

RE: England - Gerry Hatrick - 04-07-2021

Anyone else sick of Three Lions? If indeed it finally 'comes home' I hope they lock the door behind it.

RE: England - muschi - 04-07-2021

Nope.never.

RE: England - bluetagagain - 04-07-2021

It was a good game and their toughest opposition so far (Germany were poor),but lets be honest England have an easy ride to the finals. They haven't had to play Italy,Spain,Belgium,Portugal or Croatia and if they've ever had a better chance to win a major tournament for a generation then this is it.
Also Fook Off with Sweet Caroline, it's ours.

RE: England - JIMBON - 04-07-2021

Ironic, in the year of the European Super League proposal, that the two keepers on Wednesday night both made their professional debuts playing for Darlington. A club thrown to the wolves and only slightly recovered to now be in the National League North.

RE: England - Northstander - 04-07-2021

(04-07-2021, 01:15 PM)JIMBON Wrote: Ironic, in the year of the European Super League proposal, that the two keepers on Wednesday night both made their professional debuts playing for Darlington. A club thrown to the wolves and only slightly recovered to now be in the National League North.

Schmeichel's 2nd loan was to Bury who start again this coming season in the North West Counties Football League Div 1 North.