TrueBlueArmy Forums
Out with the new, in with the old - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Out with the new, in with the old (/showthread.php?tid=721)

Out with the new, in with the old - Wightblue - 25-06-2021

As young Alfie Stanley leaves the club, in comes a 34 year old !

As the nearest thing to a True Blue we have/had in the squad (well he is a lifetime supporter/ Season Ticket holder) it’s sad to see him leave, particularly as he saw no proper future at Pompey under The Cowleys despite the offer of a one year extension to his contract.

I suppose it’s expediency in action and perhaps the shape of things to come at Pompey, it’s  a method that may bear fruit of course.

I don’t know what Cowley’s intention is, perhaps we recruit one or two old stagers on short term contracts to do a job, add them to 4 or 5 ‘quality loans’ loans and complete the match day squad with some frees and a couple of transfers equating to whatever value we have gained from player sales.

Exciting ? Not for me but I know that lots will accept it as progress. Of course, if the ‘ old stagers’ are of the quality of Paul Merson I might feel differently but I very much doubt they will be. 
Cowley claims to be able to obtain Quality loans, Frees and to be uncompromising in the transfer market, he had better come through on his promises big time.

Whilst we are not exactly involved in a race to the bottom, it doesn't smack of a race to the top either, nearly men again perhaps.

RE: Out with the new, in with the old - Cleaver Greene - 25-06-2021

Who is the 34 year old?

RE: Out with the new, in with the old - hilsea12 - 25-06-2021

(25-06-2021, 02:33 PM)Cleaver Greene Wrote: Who is the 34 year old?

Shuan Williams

RE: Out with the new, in with the old - Jizbag - 25-06-2021

Very underwhelming so far...hope the picture changes substantially in the next month!

RE: Out with the new, in with the old - DeepBlue - 25-06-2021

He can't be that much of a 'true blue' to turn his back on the club with the offer of a contract on the table. 

Strange decision by the player, I wonder where he has got lined up ?  Probably Gosport or Bognor.

RE: Out with the new, in with the old - Hammie - 25-06-2021

I agree with you deep. It suggests he rated himself higher than the Cowleys did. This year players and especially their agents are going to have to think hard before they turn down offers on the table.

RE: Out with the new, in with the old - Cressers - 25-06-2021

At least Gosport and Bognor have ambition...

RE: Out with the new, in with the old - bluetagagain - 25-06-2021

That’s right because Pompey don’t. FFS get a grip, have you used all your pampers yet?

RE: Out with the new, in with the old - Pedalo_menders - 25-06-2021

Not sure how you can say that Deep. You've been down my neck accusing me of being a terrible pompey supporter for criticising players. I was criticising what i saw with my own eyes (the players performances).

You are criticising a kid who you've got no idea of what package he was on previously and what he was offered. He could have been on 50p a week for all you know. Double standards moosh.

RE: Out with the new, in with the old - Hammie - 25-06-2021

from the comments the managers made, they did not rate any of our youngsters pretty much. so think they can get better value for money elsewhere

RE: Out with the new, in with the old - DeepBlue - 25-06-2021

(25-06-2021, 07:27 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: Not sure how you can say that Deep. You've been down my neck accusing me of being a terrible pompey supporter for criticising players. I was criticising what i saw with my own eyes (the players performances).

You are criticising a kid who you've got no idea of what package he was on previously and what he was offered. He could have been on 50p a week for all you know. Double standards moosh.

Must have missed the bit where I criticised him? All I challenged was the 'true blue' bit. He is almost certainly better off career wise moving on for more opportunities.

What do you care anyway cos you think he is incompetent like the whole squad bar Jacobs.

RE: Out with the new, in with the old - exterminator - 26-06-2021

Alfie Stanley is a "pint pot" nowhere near as good as Conor Chaplin at the same age.

Chaplin has got to the championship but isn't a Barnsley regular at all. Unfortunately a lot of these "nippers" are being exploited by agents who seem to think nothing has changed due to the pandemic - the clubs are digging their heels in - good on them.

There isn't a scramble amongst clubs to sign up the " nippers" that have been let go or decided to leave - what does that tell you?

Once players realise "pay day" in a few days time is their last, a lot of them (young & old) are going to be eager to accept " a deal"

RE: Out with the new, in with the old - Hammie - 26-06-2021

Once players realise "pay day" in a few days time is their last, a lot of them (young & old) are going to be eager to accept " a deal"

Spot on!

RE: Out with the new, in with the old - bluebollox - 27-06-2021

WightBlue-have you actually seen our midfield over the last 3 or 4 seasons? Because if so Williams coming in is almost certainly a improvement on what we had. As for Stanley-his decision. So absolutely no way criticism can be levelled @ the club over him turning down a new deal.
I know that younger untried players sometimes seem to be seen as far better than they actually are, but thats just the blue blinkers for you.

RE: Out with the new, in with the old - Wightblue - 28-06-2021

Blue Bollox
Yes I have seen our midfield for the last 3 or 4 seasons - in fact, I’ve seen the Pompey midfield for the last seventy five (75) seasons, probably longer than you have been alive !

Don’t understand the point you are trying to make, I am not aware that my post mentioned midfield or  any midfield players.

My post didn’t blame the management for Stanley’s departure, I just expressed my regret he was leaving, I felt the same regret when, for example, Jimmy Scoular, Jack Froggatt, Jungle Boy Crawford amongst many, many others left Pompey.

I hope that Williams is a significant improvement on our recent midfields but, as I have never knowingly seen him play, I can’t make an objective judgement. 

I have been ‘sold’ enough incoming players by the many, many managements that I have endured in my seventy five seasons to now have a questioning nature when so many of them turned out to be no better than what they were replacing.

Come November or December, I will perhaps have a better idea as to how the balance and ability of the playing side has improved, clearly some of the posters on this Board are more prescient than I and seem to have a clear opinion of players they have hardly (if ever) seen play.

Of course, the absolute judgement on the Pompey side will be after the last ball has been kicked in the League 1 campaign, no room to hide then.

RE: Out with the new, in with the old - kindofblue - 28-06-2021

….I think that’s what you call a restrained put down.