TrueBlueArmy Forums
England v Italy - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: England v Italy (/showthread.php?tid=748)

Pages: 1 2

RE: England v Italy - Jezzer - 11-07-2021

(11-07-2021, 10:52 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: Where was Sterling and his stupid fuckin grin when it mattered. Had a really poor game and went missing when seasoned pros were needed to take the first 5 pens. Gone right back down in my estimation. Embarrassing you overpaid coont.

Southgate said he selected the penalty takers himself based on practice sessions in training.  He might just be protecting his players though.

RE: England v Italy - briefcase_wanchor - 11-07-2021

Anyone else think the ref missed 2 red card challenges - the knee cruncher on Grealish and the strangulation of Sterling ? (I think it was).

RE: England v Italy - Pompey_in_Derby - 11-07-2021

Very disappointing performance tonight.

Still, it's only the Henri Delaunay trophy - a mere shadow of the World Cup. A bit like comparing the League Cup to the FA Cup and let's face it, no kid dreams of winning this competition!

Time to regroup, learn from this experience and really go for the big one in Qatar!

RE: England v Italy - exgaffer - 11-07-2021

Southgate bottled it at the final hurdle.

Kane was totally ineffectual for the whole match, playing far too deep.

The Italians are a good team and they should have won it in normal time.

The substitutions were made far, far too late, reminded me of Jackett ffs.

Grealish should have come on much earlier, as should Rashford, if you get to the final you need to go for it. 

The only player who seemed to play with passion was Pickford, I felt sorry for him.

In summary, I’m not disappointed. We were in the game for the first 20 minutes but were totally outplayed for the rest of the match.

In the big games you have to go for it, we didn’t and paid the price.

RE: England v Italy - oi oi saveloy - 11-07-2021

(11-07-2021, 11:07 PM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: Time to regroup, learn from this experience and really go for the big one in Qatar!

We’ve just had a World Cup and the Euro’s that were both there for the taking and we fvcked it both times what makes you think Qatar will be any different.
As long as that negative cvnts in charge we won’t win a thing.

RE: England v Italy - ForeverPompey - 11-07-2021

(11-07-2021, 11:06 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: Anyone else think the ref missed 2 red card challenges - the knee cruncher on Grealish  and the strangulation of Sterling ? (I think it was).

Not a defence of our performance but yes to red cards. Certainly the strangulation. Totally unacceptable and dangerous. It might have been Saka not sterling?

RE: England v Italy - slayer - 11-07-2021

I think that's it for me gents, at least for a little while. Calll me a pussy and I make you right but the way I've felt and reacted to this tonight has made me really sit and take stock of what's important in life, what I'm like when we win, what I'm like when we lose, and how that affects the people around me. Heartbroken tonight. It's only supposed to be football

RE: England v Italy - Trarchus - 12-07-2021

My disappointment apart from losing of course was how long it took to make changes after Italy's subs.
That for me is where the game was lost.

RE: England v Italy - briefcase_wanchor - 12-07-2021

It's all part of being an England fan. Throughout the whole game your main striker does not get a touch in the opponents penalty box! Your manager, who has personally suffered from better penalty takers players bottling it in a shootout, fails to ensure the better placed players take the early penalties (I don't buy this "they were better in training" rhubarb).

All our fellow chip-bearing Brits who have been so quiet for 4 or 5 weeks have finally found a voice. Fuck, they must have seriously deformed shoulders.

RE: England v Italy - Chris37 - 12-07-2021

Well, to all those England fans that broke into Wembley Stadium last night. That'll teach you!

RE: England v Italy - Smirnoffexpress - 12-07-2021

An overly cautious manager once again cost us.

RE: England v Italy - bluetagagain - 12-07-2021

Personally I think England have a great bunch of nippers. Too many key players weren’t at 100% last night ( Sterling/ Kane/ Mount and Saka when he came in). As regards those that took the pens at least they had the minerals to do so. IMO more senior players should’ve volunteered. The only thing missing from the set up is a prolific striker to replace Kane. Also does anyone think there’s a touch of something not quite right with Pickford?

RE: England v Italy - Smirnoffexpress - 12-07-2021

Pickford must be gutted this morning, saved two out of five penalties and still lost!

RE: England v Italy - exgaffer - 12-07-2021

(12-07-2021, 10:36 AM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: Pickford must be gutted this morning, saved two out of five penalties and still lost!

Yes I thought he was the only one who showed real passion, made some top notch saves too.

RE: England v Italy - Pangus - 12-07-2021

England must bring in an experienced street-wise international manager now to take us into the World Cup where we will find the opposition much more challenging than that from the European countries. Having said that I've got no idea who is available, but I can't imagine there being an English manager suitably qualified.

RE: England v Italy - exgaffer - 12-07-2021

(12-07-2021, 10:40 AM)Pangus Wrote: England must bring in an experienced street-wise international manager now to take us into the World Cup where we will find the opposition much more challenging than that from the European countries. Having said that I've got no idea who is available, but I can't imagine there being an English manager suitably qualified.

The England team should be managed by an English manager, it’s not a club side.

Someone who isn’t out of the Jackett mould would be nice  Smile .

RE: England v Italy - oi oi saveloy - 12-07-2021

The sky’s the limit for this team but only with a different manager.

RE: England v Italy - ForeverPompey - 12-07-2021

I'd agree they had the guts to step up and take a pen when others went missing but I have never seen anything as dumb as Rashford's penalty technique. Is that how he normally goes about it? It looked like he'd made a list of all the things not to do when taking a pen , added a few new ones, and put them all together in one disastrous penalty!

RE: England v Italy - 66zoolane - 12-07-2021

(12-07-2021, 09:33 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: Also does anyone think there’s a touch of something not quite right with Pickford?

There's always been the idea that you have to be mad to be a goalkeeper, and I think he might have that quality in abundance.

RE: England v Italy - Hammie - 12-07-2021

as regards red cards
I hate how rugby tackles are now allowed (not the first this tournament) for a yellow as long as you are not the last defender.
Should be a simple, no attempt to play the ball = red.

RE: England v Italy - Pompey_in_Derby - 12-07-2021

Tackles at neck height can lead to a red card in rugby, never mind in football.

RE: England v Italy - Hammie - 12-07-2021

(12-07-2021, 09:12 PM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: Tackles at neck height can lead to a red card in rugby, never mind in football. i would thumbs up but cannot find it

RE: England v Italy - Northstander - 13-07-2021

(12-07-2021, 10:35 PM)Hammie Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 09:12 PM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: Tackles at neck height can lead to a red card in rugby, never mind in football. i would thumbs up but cannot find it

I would thumbs up too