TrueBlueArmy Forums
Why are the owners here - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Why are the owners here (/showthread.php?tid=796)

Why are the owners here - Cowespompey - 30-07-2021

I can’t see why they’re still as they just seem happy for us to plod along

RE: Why are the owners here - slayer - 30-07-2021

But too quiet on here for you Uncle Col?

RE: Why are the owners here - Hammie - 31-07-2021

they are still here doing precisely what they said they would when they bought the club. Maybe Pompey might actually have some brick built foundations to grow from in the coming years, rather than the foundations of sand that we have been struggling with for decades.

RE: Why are the owners here - Wightblue - 31-07-2021

I have absolutely no idea why Eisner purchased Pompey but a couple of straws in the wind for you

* The Anaheim Mighty Ducks always had the lowest players salary rosta in the NHL during Disney ownership (the franchise was started under Eisners tenure as CEO of Disney).

* With Eisner forced out of Disney (by Roy Disney) in 2005 The MightyDucks were sold to Harry and Susan Samuels for $75 Million, on the sale Harry Samuels said:

“ They (Disney) we’re more interested in saving their money and getting a good return on their marketing investment than they were in providing a championship team”

As I say, mere straws in the wind but maybe history may be repeating itself

RE: Why are the owners here - SW4Blue - 31-07-2021

(31-07-2021, 11:03 AM)Wightblue Wrote: I have absolutely no idea why Eisner purchased Pompey but a couple of straws in the wind for you

* The Anaheim Mighty Ducks always had the lowest players salary rosta in the NHL during Disney ownership (the franchise was started under Eisners tenure as CEO of Disney).

* With Eisner forced out of Disney (by Roy Disney) in 2005 The MightyDucks were sold to Harry and Susan Samuels for $75 Million, on the sale Harry Samuels said:

“ They (Disney) we’re more interested in saving their money and getting a good return on their marketing investment than they were in providing a championship team”

Also interesting to note that from the start of the Mighty Ducks in 1993 until the sale in 2005 (all of the years under Eisner's control) Anaheim achieved pretty much nothing (despite regularly having high draft picks) aside from a run to the Stanley Cup Final (which they lost) in 2003 by playing a terrible style of hockey called "The Trap" - perhaps hockey's equivalent of Jacketball.

In 2007, just two years after the Eisner influence was gone, the Anaheim Ducks actually won the Stanley Cup. Not many folk there have ever suggested that "won-it-all" success was down to the Eisner's (ahem) "brick by brick" approach though.

RE: Why are the owners here - SW4Blue - 31-07-2021

(30-07-2021, 09:19 PM)Cowespompey Wrote: I can’t see why they’re still as they just seem happy for us to plod along

Return on investment at some point in the future.

RE: Why are the owners here - BlueMonday - 31-07-2021

(31-07-2021, 12:07 PM)SW4Blue Wrote:
(31-07-2021, 11:03 AM)Wightblue Wrote: I have absolutely no idea why Eisner purchased Pompey but a couple of straws in the wind for you

Also interesting to note that from the start of the Mighty Ducks in 1993 until the sale in 2005 (all of the years under Eisner's control) Anaheim achieved pretty much nothing (despite regularly having high draft picks) aside from a run to the Stanley Cup Final (which they lost) in 2003 by playing a terrible style of hockey called "The Trap" - perhaps hockey's equivalent of Jacketball.

In 2007, just two years after the Eisner influence was gone, the Anaheim Ducks actually won the Stanley Cup. Not many folk there have ever suggested that "won-it-all" success was down to the Eisner's (ahem) "brick by brick" approach though.

RE: Why are the owners here - BlueMonday - 31-07-2021

Eisner was pushed out of Disney after a fallout with Roy Disney. At heart Eisner is a corporate man and alll this Brick by Brick and Eat what we kill is corporate mamagement talk  rather then a straight I am not prepared to invest heavily in the squad.but will invest in the real estate of the ground.
Every Pompey fan I know believes Pompey should be aiming for promotion but hardly any think we will finish above 8th with this squad. Good luck to the Cowleys but if fans return and Pompey start losing at home Fratton Park can be a hostile place for managers. Lincoln and Pompey are worlds awa
y in fan pressure.

RE: Why are the owners here - blueinbrum3 - 31-07-2021

Can’t see any reason why Cowley would be a target for supporters ire. He’s doing his level best to produce a half decent squad with both hands tied behind his back and nothing in his bank account. Why’s he in that position? That’s where supporters should be looking.

RE: Why are the owners here - Hammie - 31-07-2021

it would be logical not to turn on Cowley, but football fans are rarely logical if their team loses.

RE: Why are the owners here - mikey393 - 31-07-2021

Promotion is only partly down to the manager it needs financial support from the owners.

The last 3 seasons we've messed up big time in the January transfer window.

Get that right & we could finally make it!

RE: Why are the owners here - slayer - 07-08-2021

"Are you Deacon in disguise" has a nice ring to it

RE: Why are the owners here - muschi - 07-08-2021

I really do get the feeling our manager can talk the talk but can he walk the walk?

On TV he blamed the poor performance on the journey up there - hardly meticulous preparation if that was the case.

More fenwick or cloterball than Guardiola...

RE: Why are the owners here - exgaffer - 08-08-2021

(07-08-2021, 11:14 PM)muschi Wrote: I really do get the feeling our manager can talk the talk but can he walk the walk?

On TV he blamed the poor performance on the journey up there - hardly meticulous preparation if that was the case.

More fenwick or cloterball than Guardiola...

We won ffs, what would you be like if we had lost?  Smile 

The Cowleys have walked the walk before, I have every confidence they can do it again.

It is possible to succeed without spending piles of cash and it is preferable to do it that way if possible.

Have faith  Smile .

PUP

RE: Why are the owners here - bluetagagain - 08-08-2021

If you listened to the traffic reports, large parts of the motorways where blocked. Hardly blame DC for that ffs.
We won playing badly, even DC said it wasn’t the performance he wanted but with only 1 midfielder there’s not much he can do at the moment.

RE: Why are the owners here - muschi - 08-08-2021

Maybe Cowley should have explained that rather than just saying what he did?

He did mention it took 9 hrs to get there . Still an ugly win and 3 points on the road PUP.

RE: Why are the owners here - ForeverPompey - 08-08-2021

It seems we are looking good for signing Joe Morrell from Luton. That seems like a good move and some indication that the owners are prepared to invest.

RE: Why are the owners here - Hermann's_no_hermit - 08-08-2021

(08-08-2021, 10:49 AM)ForeverPompey Wrote: It seems we are looking good for signing Joe Morrell from Luton. That seems like a good move and some indication that the owners are prepared to invest.

If true then at last another encouraging signing. Snooze also reckoning Louis Thompson. Not so sure about that

RE: Why are the owners here - slayer - 08-08-2021

I haven't got the first clue who these new names are or if they are any good

RE: Why are the owners here - DeepBlue - 08-08-2021

(08-08-2021, 04:03 PM)scumslayer Wrote: I haven't got the first clue who these new names are or if they are any good

Did you not see the Euros ?

Morrell was at Brizzle City for years and earned a transfer to Luton, he couldn't break through yet he made the Welsh squad at the Euros and played well. The Cowleys know him as they had him on loan at Lincoln. Thompson is very good onhis day but injury prone hence I believe its on a pay as you play deal. Hopefully when we sell Harrison , that money can be used towards getting a decent CB.

RE: Why are the owners here - exterminator - 08-08-2021

(08-08-2021, 04:03 PM)scumslayer Wrote: I haven't got the first clue who these new names are or if they are any good

"Scumsucker" displaying his "incredibly limited  knowledge" of football, give up moosh and follow ballroom dancing instead - it is more suitable for  you.

RE: Why are the owners here - slayer - 08-08-2021

Cheers for info bluetag