TrueBlueArmy Forums
Will the Bristol FA Cup game be on ? - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Will the Bristol FA Cup game be on ? (/showthread.php?tid=89)

Will the Bristol FA Cup game be on ? - Wightblue - 04-01-2021

Still a way off but wasn’t the Bristol game at the weekend postponed for Covid related reasons ? don't know the details but if Covid is in the Bristol camp won’t that lead to a delay ? If it is played on Sunday, will Jackett put out a full strength side with some critical games coming in the following weeks (Fleetwood, Hull, Lincoln in January)

Jack has had time to recover I hope although it’s a long process for some by all accounts, Nico and Raggett wouldn’t be a disaster (I hope !) and, anyway, I believe getting promoted takes precedent over everything else. Sure a cup run would be exciting and financially beneficial but getting all the way to, say, the sixth round but missing out on promotion would be a disaster in my book. 

We need to escape the glue-pot that is the salary cap or face significant problems with player retention, sure the Championship next season may be a mighty test but fourth from bottom will be enough if we do get promoted.

RE: Will the Bristol FA Cup game be on ? - DeepBlue - 04-01-2021

(04-01-2021, 12:06 PM)Wightblue Wrote: Still a way off but wasn’t the Bristol game at the weekend postponed for Covid related reasons ? don't know the details but if Covid is in the Bristol camp won’t that lead to a delay ? If it is played on Sunday, will Jackett put out a full strength side with some critical games coming in the following weeks (Fleetwood, Hull, Lincoln in January)

Jack has had time to recover I hope although it’s a long process for some by all accounts, Nico and Raggett wouldn’t be a disaster (I hope !) and, anyway, I believe getting promoted takes precedent over everything else. Sure a cup run would be exciting and financially beneficial but getting all the way to, say, the sixth round but missing out on promotion would be a disaster in my book. 

We need to escape the glue-pot that is the salary cap or face significant problems with player retention, sure the Championship next season may be a mighty test but fourth from bottom will be enough if we do get promoted.

With no game for the past few weeks Jackett is bound to play a full strength team to get them back into the groove.

And don't underestimate the importance of the financial possibilities of a cup run ... all clubs are in desperate financial straits and we are no exception and with the FA ruling on clubs having to play their cup game if they have 14 players (including youth team) available we have a great chance of going through if City are still weakened by Covid.

RE: Will the Bristol FA Cup game be on ? - ForeverPompey - 04-01-2021

(04-01-2021, 12:16 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 12:06 PM)Wightblue Wrote: Still a way off but wasn’t the Bristol game at the weekend postponed for Covid related reasons ? don't know the details but if Covid is in the Bristol camp won’t that lead to a delay ? If it is played on Sunday, will Jackett put out a full strength side with some critical games coming in the following weeks (Fleetwood, Hull, Lincoln in January)

With no game for the past few weeks Jackett is bound to play a full strength team to get them back into the groove.

And don't underestimate the importance of the financial possibilities of a cup run ... all clubs are in desperate financial straits and we are no exception and with the FA ruling on clubs having to play their cup game if they have 14 players (including youth team) available we have a great chance of going through if City are still weakened by Covid.

I agree. There is financial benefit this season maybe more than most in progressing in the cup even without big attendance payouts. It's about the only income we have for the time being.

RE: Will the Bristol FA Cup game be on ? - mikey393 - 04-01-2021

This game is badly needed as the players will be ring rusty & need to get back up to full speed for the league games.

Finance is paramount this Covid hit season with very little gate receipts.

RE: Will the Bristol FA Cup game be on ? - Wightblue - 05-01-2021

I understand the short term need for the finance that a cup run might provide but by late 2021 Covid should be at least contained and life, including football, should start to return to normal.

I wonder about the balancing of the short term with the medium term, a cup run which might bring in £1-£2 million might have a price tag of missing promotion as a result of the sheer volume of games being imposed on a squad with too little depth in too many positions.

Would being stuck in L1 for at least another season be anything other than a significant problem ie not being able to afford the players we need to escape at our fourth attempt (I read that Naylor and others out of contract this summer will not be within our Salary Capped means). Many L1 chairmen were pleased to see the cap imposed as a ‘race to the bottom’ exercise where the Pompeys and Sunderlands would have little leverage coming from their larger gates.

I would be as chuffed as anyone on this Board to see Pompey turn over a Premiership club (or two) but not at the cost of promotion. Our owners are reputedly $ billionaires and can comfortably ensure Pompey ride out Covid if they choose, any of you who watched Red Penguins will know exactly what I mean (it’s probably still available on catch-up), Michael Eisner promoting $100 Million investment into a Russian Ice Hockey club together with the owners of Pittsburg Penguins.

I fully accept that Promotion and a Cup run are not mutually exclusive, it’s just that I see escaping from L1 into The Championship (and it’s undoubted challenges) as paramount. I am sure that many, maybe the majority, will not share my view but that’s  what Boards like this are for, a sounding board for fans opinions.

RE: Will the Bristol FA Cup game be on ? - ForeverPompey - 05-01-2021

(05-01-2021, 12:57 PM)Wightblue Wrote: I understand the short term need for the finance that a cup run might provide but by late 2021 Covid should be at least contained and life, including football, should start to return to normal.

I wonder about the balancing of the short term with the medium term, a cup run which might bring in £1-£2 million might have a price tag of missing promotion as a result of the sheer volume of games being imposed on a squad with too little depth in too many positions.

Would being stuck in L1 for at least another season be anything other than a significant problem ie not being able to afford the players we need to escape at our fourth attempt (I read that Naylor and others out of contract this summer will not be within our Salary Capped means). Many L1 chairmen were pleased to see the cap imposed as a ‘race to the bottom’ exercise where the Pompeys and Sunderlands would have little leverage coming from their larger gates.

I would be as chuffed as anyone on this Board to see Pompey turn over a Premiership club (or two) but not at the cost of promotion. Our owners are reputedly $ billionaires and can comfortably ensure Pompey ride out Covid if they choose, any of you who watched Red Penguins will know exactly what I mean (it’s probably still available on catch-up), Michael Eisner promoting $100 Million investment into a Russian Ice Hockey club together with the owners of Pittsburg Penguins.

I fully accept that Promotion and a Cup run are not mutually exclusive, it’s just that I see escaping from L1 into The Championship (and it’s undoubted challenges) as paramount. I am sure that many, maybe the majority, will not share my view but that’s  what Boards like this are for, a sounding board for fans opinions.
It's a delicate balancing act isn't it? I think, given we have had a period of inaction, the Br City game comes at the right time to get the team up and running again and if we won that and got a big club next up on television then the financial benefit would be worth an extra game. Beyond that, we have a lot of matches to play and for sure promotion becomes the only thing that really matters, so I would suggest a big game in round four would be enough for me.

RE: Will the Bristol FA Cup game be on ? - DeepBlue - 05-01-2021

I don't think anyone would argue that promotion is absolutely vital this season and therefore has to be top priority, enough for me to be quite happy if we lose on saturday. 

But I find this assumption that the Eisners will bale the club out very dangerous thinking. They made it quite clear right from the start that they were not going to be the sort of owners that would plunge the club into crippling debt ... what they were offering was the ability to run and improve the club slowly and sensibly with the 'eat what you kill' policy on the pitch with any financial investment being on the infrastructure.  The last thing we need is for them to load the club with debt by baling us out of the Covid situation - we've been down that road before and we know how it ends. They are a nice safety net to have in case things get even worse but we cannot not think of them as a bottomless benevolent money pit.

RE: Will the Bristol FA Cup game be on ? - Isaac Hunt - 05-01-2021

Sunday

RE: Will the Bristol FA Cup game be on ? - Isaac Hunt - 05-01-2021

I don't really understand why promotion this year is now or never.
3 will still go up next season, cap or no cap

RE: Will the Bristol FA Cup game be on ? - ForeverPompey - 05-01-2021

(05-01-2021, 04:26 PM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: I don't really understand why promotion this year is now or never.

True indeed, but I think what troubles me is that the current squad would need to be torn up given we are way over budget. Now, although many are not good enough for the Championship, at least it would put us in a position to make our own decisions about squad and keep those we wanted. As it stands, as I understand it, several would need to take pay cuts they are unlikely to take or move on... probably abroad/ Scotland (is that abroad??) and we would need a major rebuild. It just feels that this is the year we need to get promoted.

RE: Will the Bristol FA Cup game be on ? - bluebollox - 05-01-2021

(05-01-2021, 04:48 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 04:26 PM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: I don't really understand why promotion this year is now or never.

True indeed, but I think what troubles me is that the current squad would need to be torn up given we are way over budget. Now, although many are not good enough for the Championship, at least it would put us in a position to make our own decisions about squad and keep those we wanted. As it stands, as I understand it, several would need to take pay cuts they are unlikely to take or move on... probably abroad/ Scotland (is that abroad??) and we would need a major rebuild. It just feels that this is the year we need to get promoted.

We're surely not way over budget. We're not over the salary cap either as things stand. But if the players are to be retained (new contracts) then yes it'd be hard to keep them happy under the salary cap rules. 
Isaac-this is surely Kenny's last chance, so for him its now or never.
And if we dont make it it would be difficult for a new manager because with the salary cap in place the lure of better wages in ft of big crowds is gone.

RE: Will the Bristol FA Cup game be on ? - Northstander - 05-01-2021

(05-01-2021, 07:44 PM)bluebollox Wrote:

We're surely not way over budget. We're not over the salary cap either as things stand. But if the players are to be retained (new contracts) then yes it'd be hard to keep them happy under the salary cap rules. 
And if we dont make it it would be difficult for a new manager because with the salary cap in place the lure of better wages in ft of big crowds is gone.

It's has to be KJ's last chance. If we don't go up this season he has to go

RE: Will the Bristol FA Cup game be on ? - Wightblue - 05-01-2021

I don’t understand why the Eisners bailing Pompey out has to laden the club with debt.

They are the shareholders, therefore a simple Tornante Rights issue would be all that’s needed ie they create more shares which they then buy, The Club gets an injection of cash, The value of the Eisner’s equity in Tornante is increased by the same amount. The Clubs debts do not increase

It’s a very common matter in quoted companies, OK, it’s not popular with shareholders but it’s a very effective way of raising debt free cash

RE: Will the Bristol FA Cup game be on ? - Hammie - 05-01-2021

It would be the first time I can recall where owners invested in Pompey in a business like way rather than "interest free" loans that cripple the club when recalled. As Caitlin has pointed out, we will come out of Covid in a sound financial place which must be up on most of the Championship clubs at least! I wonder if this might lead to their accepting the need for some sort of wage cap at that level and even (shock horror) in the Prem.

RE: Will the Bristol FA Cup game be on ? - ForeverPompey - 06-01-2021

(05-01-2021, 07:44 PM)bluebollox Wrote:

I believe that the rules over salaries will kick in properly next season (a year's grace for those already under contract) and so any players needing new contracts will need to take the pay cut. Those players are the ones that would put us over budget in terms of salaries. I think that's the case but i could be wrong...

RE: Will the Bristol FA Cup game be on ? - Isaac Hunt - 06-01-2021

Will the cap system unfairly advantage teams relegated from the Championship. I assume they will have a grace season rather than cut wages immediately

RE: Will the Bristol FA Cup game be on ? - DeepBlue - 06-01-2021

(06-01-2021, 12:34 PM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: Will the cap system unfairly advantage teams relegated from the Championship. I assume they will have a grace season rather than cut wages immediately

Good question. 

No doubt they will get the same period of grace that everyone else has got, for the duration of existing contracts they will only count as the average cap amount.  

Methinks clubs missed a trick by not putting players on longer contracts just before this nonsense came in.