TrueBlueArmy Forums
Pretty much faultless display - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Pretty much faultless display (/showthread.php?tid=891)

Pretty much faultless display - slayer - 14-08-2021

Entertaining game, great atmosphere, great weather, great beer

RE: Pretty much faultless display - exgaffer - 14-08-2021

(14-08-2021, 05:30 PM)scumslayer Wrote: Entertaining game, great atmosphere, great weather, great beer

That was a great first home match. Pressing high up the pitch, high energy throughout the team, quality in every position.

I can’t remember the last time I was so optimistic about a season.

The Cowleys have completely transformed the team.

PUP

RE: Pretty much faultless display - Rocketman - 14-08-2021

I can't remember the last game I enjoyed so much. Crewe were rather poor, but we played high tempo, lots of energy, never game up, passed to our own players most of the time etc. The new keeper was interesting, gives a new dimension to the game. Back row barely made a mistake all game, midfield was so much better than last season, good service to the forwards. Marquis was completely frustrating in the first half, but then did what he's paid to do and scored an excellent goal, as did Harness. Curtis and Reeco very good too. My MoTM probably Tunnicliffe. Early days but it's certainly 100% improvement in enjoyment. Well done DC & NC :-)

RE: Pretty much faultless display - slayer - 15-08-2021

I haven't enjoyed a home match like that since we put three past Plymouth whenever that was.

RE: Pretty much faultless display - ForeverPompey - 15-08-2021

Thoroughly enjoyable afternoon. No complaints about any of the performances. yes, Tunnicliffe - outstanding. Curtis' attitude very good. No biding his time to get away.

RE: Pretty much faultless display - Wightblue - 15-08-2021

Excellent performance, chalk and cheese compared with Fleetwood.

Bench looks so much stronger, just consider the fact that Morrell was on the bench, the competition for a starting place in centre midfield will be intense this season.

Only one caveat, Crewe have been shorn of 4 of their best players and were startlingly poor yesterday and never came to terms with our high pressing game and offered nothing up front, undoubtedly stiffer examinations lie ahead (but not on Tuesday when bottom of the table Shrewsbury are the opposition).

The Doncaster and Wigan games which follow Shrewsbury will give us a more objective assessment of where we are but on yesterday’s showing Pompey should be a match for anyone in L1.

Shame that there were so many empty seats yesterday with something like £100K of income lost, from posts on this Board and others it sounds like incompetence was at the route of the problem.

As Guy Whittinham pointed out, if Cowley had made confusion over Covid regulations or some other lame excuse for not putting out a full strength side he would have been roundly criticised, Cullen in the dock in my estimation - the role of CEO comes with a plaque which sits on his desk, it reads ‘The buck stops here’

RE: Pretty much faultless display - exgaffer - 15-08-2021

(15-08-2021, 10:53 AM)Wightblue Wrote: Excellent performance, chalk and cheese compared with Fleetwood.

Bench looks so much stronger, just consider the fact that Morrell was on the bench, the competition for a starting place in centre midfield will be intense this season.

Only one caveat, Crewe have been shorn of 4 of their best players and were startlingly poor yesterday and never came to terms with our high pressing game and offered nothing up front, undoubtedly stiffer examinations lie ahead (but not on Tuesday when bottom of the table Shrewsbury are the opposition).

The Doncaster and Wigan games which follow Shrewsbury will give us a more objective assessment of where we are but on yesterday’s showing Pompey should be a match for anyone in L1.

Shame that there were so many empty seats yesterday with something like £100K of income lost, from posts on this Board and others it sounds like incompetence was at the route of the problem.

As Guy Whittinham pointed out, if Cowley had made confusion over Covid regulations or some other lame excuse for not putting out a full strength side he would have been roundly criticised, Cullen in the dock in my estimation - the role of CEO comes with a plaque which sits on his desk, it reads ‘The buck stops here’

A bit harsh on Cullen imho.

I don’t like incompetence either, but the government dithered too long before giving the go ahead, leaving clubs a very small window in which to get things organised.

I take the point that they should plan for all eventualities but a bit of slack is appropriate in this case I think.

There is also the ‘project fear’ factor, with large numbers of people swallowing the government propaganda and therefore seeing a big risk when it is in fact very slight.

Hopefully things will improve in the weeks and months to come.

PUP

RE: Pretty much faultless display - Hammie - 15-08-2021

as regards Cullen. The only thing he should have maybe considered was finding some time to get down there, talk to those in the queue and even better roll his sleeves up and get in the ticket office and help sell some tickets. Obviously not his top priority right now as there is much to do, but little gestures like that do make a difference in reducing frustration levels.
and if they are struggling to staff the food kiosks because of the limited hours, offer potential workers some extra hours in the ticket office, even just answering the phones would reduce frustration levels.

RE: Pretty much faultless display - TBP - 15-08-2021

(15-08-2021, 10:53 AM)Wightblue Wrote: Excellent performance, chalk and cheese compared with Fleetwood.

Shame that there were so many empty seats yesterday with something like £100K of income lost, from posts on this Board and others it sounds like incompetence was at the route of them problem.

My Wimbledon chum had his season ticket, including picking his seat at the new ground, sorted in early July. Judging by the attendances it was only Pompey who had a problem.

RE: Pretty much faultless display - Hammie - 15-08-2021

pompey opted not to sell full season tickets until they knew there would be fans in the ground. with our close to capacity normal attendance, I can't fault them for not wanting to take money and have no seat to offer.

RE: Pretty much faultless display - exgaffer - 15-08-2021

(15-08-2021, 02:11 PM)TBP Wrote:

Shame that there were so many empty seats yesterday with something like £100K of income lost, from posts on this Board and others it sounds like incompetence was at the route of them problem.

My Wimbledon chum had his season ticket, including picking his seat at the new ground, sorted in early July. Judging by the attendances it was only Pompey who had a problem.

I doubt very much that only Pompey had a problem.

People have been claiming that for as long as I remember, through many owners, CEO’s back room staff.

Pompey fans are not uniquely put upon, shit happens sometimes, that’s just the way it is.

RE: Pretty much faultless display - Pompey_in_Derby - 15-08-2021

Excellent performance. On the balance of play, we should have been ahead before half-time and such was our control we should have won by 3 or 4. Really impressed by the energy on display to press and close down the Crewe defence and force them into mistakes. Every single player had a good game with Tunnicliffe absolutely outstanding.

Only downside was the abysmal attendance - those present were really supportive - and looking at attendances elsewhere Birmingham City were the only other club to have such a poor turnout compared to 'normal' (and they had to play with 2 stands completely closed for H&S reasons!)

Most gates were down by maybe 10% from 'normal' yet Pompey struggled to get more than clubs such as Oxford, Plymouth and Wigan when we usually have almost double their crowds. Nothing to do with summer holidays, late easing of restrictions, Project Fear etc.

With the benefit of hindsight PFC should have been totally focused on marketing and selling out the home sections of FP - perhaps they were distracted by the launch of this Pompey Hub thingy? Maybe fans assumed it was Flexi-tickets only to get in so didn't attempt to buy tickets? PFC need to make it clear that anyone can buy general sale tickets, return to pay on the day for the next 2 games (accepting cash as well as card) then review the situation once the new season tickets have been issued. 

We need a full house on Tuesday night to maximise our chances of picking up the 3 points and hopefully top the table. This would send a clear message to any potential upcoming loanees from the Premier League or Championship that Pompey mean business this season and are worth joining!

RE: Pretty much faultless display - TBP - 16-08-2021

(15-08-2021, 07:21 PM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: Excellent performance. On the balance of play, we should have been ahead before half-time and such was our control we should have won by 3 or 4. Really impressed by the energy on display to press and close down the Crewe defence and force them into mistakes. Every single player had a good game with Tunnicliffe absolutely outstanding.

Only downside was the abysmal attendance - those present were really supportive - and looking at attendances elsewhere Birmingham City were the only other club to have such a poor turnout compared to 'normal' (and they had to play with 2 stands completely closed for H&S reasons!)

Most gates were down by maybe 10% from 'normal' yet Pompey struggled to get more than clubs such as Oxford, Plymouth and Wigan when we usually have almost double their crowds. Nothing to do with summer holidays, late easing of restrictions, Project Fear etc.

With the benefit of hindsight PFC should have been totally focused on marketing and selling out the home sections of FP - perhaps they were distracted by the launch of this Pompey Hub thingy? Maybe fans assumed it was Flexi-tickets only to get in so didn't attempt to buy tickets? PFC need to make it clear that anyone can buy general sale tickets, return to pay on the day for the next 2 games (accepting cash as well as card) then review the situation once the new season tickets have been issued. 

We need a full house on Tuesday night to maximise our chances of picking up the 3 points and hopefully top the table. This would send a clear message to any potential upcoming loanees from the Premier League or Championship that Pompey mean business this season and are worth joining!

Nice bit of work. We now know that covid has caused a 10% reduction, anything more has other causes.