TrueBlueArmy Forums
Tonight's Game - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Tonight's Game (/showthread.php?tid=901)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Tonight's Game - malcm - 18-08-2021

(18-08-2021, 02:16 PM)TBP Wrote: [quote="Wightblue" pid="13304" dateline="1629293539"]

The positives I thought were Bazunu, the centre of the defence which stood firm as the pressure mounted, Tunnicliffe who worked his socks off and, fleetingly, Harness and Curtis.

I sort of agreed with all you said up until the bit about Curtis who, I thought, had yet another terrible game. His ball control was abysmal and was constantly outplayed by the defender (who played with him at Derry? and knows his game). He's a one trick pony and the sooner we get some money for him the better.

RE: Tonight's Game - Wightblue - 18-08-2021

dsmg

Oops ! I of course meant Doncaster

Another senior moment !

RE: Tonight's Game - DeepBlue - 18-08-2021

Bit puzzled why everyone is saying we did not play well in the second half .. I thought we defended superbly.  As a team, not just the back four.  Why doesn't that count as playing well ? A good team needs to be a able to defend well as well as attack well.

RE: Tonight's Game - dsmg - 18-08-2021

It was too much one way traffic and Bazoomy had to make several saves. Backs to the wall doesn’t mean we played well in my book. Not saying it was disastrous and I mentioned that we had to contend with injuries but it was only the mighty Shrewsbury.

RE: Tonight's Game - Hermann's_no_hermit - 18-08-2021

Shrewsbury quite effective in what they do and will cause many teams problems this season IMO. We were a long way from perfect last night but WE WON. The old cliche, like most cliches is true - a sign of a good team is that you win when not playing at your best. So far we have already done that twice this season. Not bad for what is 50% a new team.

RE: Tonight's Game - exgaffer - 18-08-2021

(18-08-2021, 03:54 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: Bit puzzled why everyone is saying we did not play well in the second half .. I thought we defended superbly.  As a team, not just the back four.  Why doesn't that count as playing well ? A good team needs to be a able to defend well as well as attack well.

Come on Deep, even you can’t think being pinned into your own half for the entire second period by Shrewsbury can be described as ‘playing well’.

If not for Raggett and Bazunu we would have lost the game.

Still, it’s three points so happy days Smile .

RE: Tonight's Game - Hammie - 18-08-2021

we were penned back at the start of the second half then had a very good spell. Sitting in the fratton end it was very obvious when we were attacking. The blood injury break knocked us out of our stride and we never really got going again.
No criticism of Curtis but I would have considered bringing him off for Jacobs (or even for Adahme with his head injury), just to try and keep some possession with an older calmer head who is one of our best passers.

RE: Tonight's Game - JIMBON - 18-08-2021

(18-08-2021, 08:39 PM)exgaffer Wrote:
(18-08-2021, 03:54 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: Bit puzzled why everyone is saying we did not play well in the second half .. I thought we defended superbly.  As a team, not just the back four.  Why doesn't that count as playing well ? A good team needs to be a able to defend well as well as attack well.

Come on Deep, even you can’t think being pinned into your own half for the entire second period by Shrewsbury can be described as ‘playing well’.

If not for Raggett and Bazunu we would have lost the game.

Still, it’s three points so happy days Smile .

Raggett and Bazunu were part of the team that won, we had a very decent 20 minute period in the middle of the second half when they were pinned back. We were certainly not under the cosh for the full 55 mins.