TrueBlueArmy Forums
Top three - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Top three (/showthread.php?tid=937)

Top three - foxleyblue - 28-08-2021

All away today....
Should be interesting. Confused

RE: Top three - Pedalo_menders - 28-08-2021

I would bite your hand off for a point today. A very tough fixture on paper. Hopefully we can make the extra couple of days training count!

RE: Top three - ForeverPompey - 28-08-2021

I think we learnt plenty today. Going to be a tough season. We will be mostly competitive but there's no goals in this team, not even from Curtis it seems. We look like a 8-10th placed outfit I think. How many games with few chances and few or no goals before the crowd starts to lose patience I wonder? I can see Marquis and Hirst (is he anything more than a big lump?) getting the sharp end of the crowd. Possibly Morrell who seems to have started very poorly.

RE: Top three - slayer - 28-08-2021

Yep Marquis has run out of excuses now

RE: Top three - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 28-08-2021

So so boring to watch. Inane shite, not a single meaningful attack. It’s going to be a long season if the last 2 performances are anything to go by

RE: Top three - ForeverPompey - 28-08-2021

I think we are the lowest scorers outside the relegation zone. Bizarre when you think under Jacketball we were top scorers for ages!!! And no I’m not in favour of it’s return!!!

RE: Top three - Hammie - 28-08-2021

"Jacketball"
or long ball if you prefer was invented specifically because some statistician worked out that most goals are from very few passes.
Going to take longer than a few weeks to train the team to play in the way required.

RE: Top three - Wightblue - 30-08-2021

Charles Hughes was a football coach who analysed hundreds of games at all levels and drew the conclusion that most goals were scored in moves that had only three passes. This resulted in ‘long ball’ football being adopted by its believers.

He also proposed POMO - Position Of Maximum Opportunity - which suggested that an area inside the penalty box was the maximum POMO spot and that the maximum number of goals would result by balls being played into it from the minimum number of passes.

Allied to his three pass theory, POMO was famously adopted by Wimbledon with John Fashinu (Fash-the Bash) as the POMO finisher. They enjoyed some success with Charlie Hughes method but after a couple of seasons the opposition worked them out.

Fashinu probably enabled Hughes system to work at Wimbledon, he was very athletic, fearless, could finish and was all arms and aggression - the very opposite of Marquis.

RE: Top three - Gerry Hatrick - 30-08-2021

I'm a great believer in the three TOUCH system: the pass, the control and the finish
Think of the Hirons, Kemps, Whittinghams and Todorovs who rarely needed a second touch before shooting.
I'm a tired of hearing about Marquis' workrate. He should be getting into positions to execute the above.

RE: Top three - Hammie - 30-08-2021

I'd prefer to compare to players who were with us in the 3rd tier. We were very lucky to get Alan Biley at that level, Bill Raffery next to him was a top class lower league number 9.
It does still come back to which strikers can play the lone role at this level and score 20+ goals per season? Not many.
As we don't have one of these fabelled number 10s why don't we try playing another striker next to Marquis? Or someone else if preferred.

RE: Top three - muschi - 30-08-2021

Might be worth playing Hirst and Marquis. Big lump target man and was a natural finisher to feed off him.

The thing is Marquis has scored goals in the past - is it him or is it the tactics?

RE: Top three - Jizbag - 30-08-2021

If we don't sign another (or two) good strikers then we will struggle to score goals this season. What about Goddard at Coventry? Is he in their squad? He was great at this level. 2 quality strikers could see us promoted because the the defence is one of the best in this league and we have plenty of midfield depth.

I really wish Eisner would give us a present.

RE: Top three - exgaffer - 30-08-2021

(30-08-2021, 02:58 PM)muschi Wrote: Might be worth playing Hirst and Marquis. Big lump target man and was a natural finisher to feed off him.

The thing is Marquis has scored goals in the past - is it him or is it the tactics?

There’s no way in the world that Marquis is a ‘natural’ finisher.

He had a couple of good seasons (when he should have scored more than he did) but he is an average finisher at best. At the moment he’s not even achieving the ‘average’ bit.