TrueBlueArmy Forums
Please don't buy any more midfielders - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Please don't buy any more midfielders (/showthread.php?tid=939)

Pages: 1 2

Please don't buy any more midfielders - stayinupforever - 28-08-2021

Just sign two strikers

RE: Please don't buy any more midfielders - dsmg - 28-08-2021

Very disappointed with Williams. Doesn't look that interested.

RE: Please don't buy any more midfielders - ForeverPompey - 28-08-2021

Only have the radio commentary to go on but it sounded as though our much hyped midfield three struggled to really get a grip? Is that fair?

RE: Please don't buy any more midfielders - DeepBlue - 28-08-2021

(28-08-2021, 04:01 PM)dsmg Wrote: Very disappointed with Williams. Doesn't look that interested.

He looked OK in the home games

RE: Please don't buy any more midfielders - dsmg - 28-08-2021

Is skillful and can see a pass, no doubt, but wants too long on the ball at times and you don’t get that in this league. Having said that, Morrell and Tunnicliffe pretty poor today too and Ahadame looks off the pace although only had a few minutes.

RE: Please don't buy any more midfielders - West Australian Portsmouth Fan - 28-08-2021

(28-08-2021, 04:15 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: Only have the radio commentary to go on but it sounded as though our much hyped midfield three struggled to really get a grip? Is that fair?
They were quite good defensively but going forwards they gave the ball away way too often and had zero creativity. Was a defensive minded team today put out by Cowley so not all the blame should rest with the players but that being said Williams looked particularly poor and even a little disinterested. Plenty of dodgy passes and poor decisions from all of them going forwards today though not just Williams

RE: Please don't buy any more midfielders - Hammie - 28-08-2021

from what he said after, he is still seeking a creative midfield player and we definitely seem to lack a number 10 as yet.

RE: Please don't buy any more midfielders - Wightblue - 29-08-2021

On the Tunnicliffe v Thompson thread, the great and the good of this Board almost unanimously decided we definitely didn’t need Thompson.

The knock over game against relegation bound Crewe apart, I have yet to see a game where Ben Thompson wouldn’t have been the best Pompey midfielder on show.

Currently Morrel looks all at sea, Tunnicliffe is in and out games and Williams isn’t improving on his early efforts.

I thought Naylor fared well by comparison with the above three and certainly lasted the pace and the game better than any of them.

RE: Please don't buy any more midfielders - Jizbag - 30-08-2021

https://twitter.com/Efl72Hub/status/1432360804981084161

RE: Please don't buy any more midfielders - bluebollox - 30-08-2021

(29-08-2021, 03:55 PM)Wightblue Wrote: The knock over game against relegation bound Crewe apart, I have yet to see a game where Ben Thompson wouldn’t have been the best Pompey midfielder on show.

How on earth do you come to that conclusion? So a player who you last saw play for us in Dec 2018 would be better than any midfielder we have now, despite hardly playing for Millwall!!

RE: Please don't buy any more midfielders - Wightblue - 30-08-2021

Bluebollox

I admit I was referring to memory, I concede Thompson may have regressed………but I doubt he could possibly have regressed so much that he wouldn’t have been better than what we showed on Saturday.

Clearly Cowley was very satisfied with our midfield against Wigan, his press comments confirm this, I, perhaps, am guilty of expecting too much from what is, after all, just a collection of free transfers (kindly funded by our multi-billionaire owner).

Perhaps I will be better served in future saving $13 a game and watching paint dry instead.

RE: Please don't buy any more midfielders - stayinupforever - 13-09-2021

Too many midfielders, not enough strikers.....still.

RE: Please don't buy any more midfielders - slayer - 13-09-2021

I think Cowley knows that mate

RE: Please don't buy any more midfielders - Wightblue - 13-09-2021

If DC knows that now, why didn’t he figure out the correct balance between midfielders and attackers out during the window ?

Perhaps he is at his very best when he can benefit from hindsight

RE: Please don't buy any more midfielders - DeepBlue - 13-09-2021

(13-09-2021, 12:13 PM)Wightblue Wrote: If DC knows that now, why didn’t he figure out the correct balance between midfielders and attackers out during the window ?

Signing a striker was a priority for him, but it was difficult to achieve and he failed.  He tried hard for Stockley and Pigott ... name another striker available at league one level that signed for anyone else ? Or are you suggesting he should have stopped signing players for other positions whilst he failed to get the striker he wanted ? 

We've got four strikers, one of them the best by far in league over the last 4 years. It's frustrating not to get another one but it sholdn't be a crisis, it's just a case of getting the best out of them. It's early days yet.

RE: Please don't buy any more midfielders - bluebollox - 13-09-2021

(13-09-2021, 12:40 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(13-09-2021, 12:13 PM)Wightblue Wrote: If DC knows that now, why didn’t he figure out the correct balance between midfielders and attackers out during the window ?

Signing a striker was a priority for him, but it was difficult to achieve and he failed.  He tried hard for Stockley and Pigott ... name another striker available at league one level that signed for anyone else ? Or are you suggesting he should have stopped signing players for other positions whilst he failed to get the striker he wanted ? 

We've got four strikers, one of them the best by far in league over the last 4 years. It's frustrating not to get another one but it sholdn't be a crisis, it's just a case of getting the best out of them. It's early days yet.

DB Marquis?? Now come on, better than Ivan Toney, Lyle Taylor? You're aving a giraffe Mush. I think we had to get a better midfield, thats been accomplished but starting with the 3 as on saturday shows its unbalanced. More work to be done there. Even under Jackett JM was capable of 15-18 goals a season, with Curtis usually good for 10-12 plus 5-10 for Harness. I'm not quite understanding why those 3 aren't firing.

RE: Please don't buy any more midfielders - DeepBlue - 13-09-2021

I should have been more specific ... I meant best only in as much as he has the most successful stats, i.e no-one has scored more goals in league one than him over the past 4 years.   I wouldn't for a minute suggest he is better than Toney or Taylor, or several other players. In fact I wouldn't even say he is the best of what we have got now - I'd play Harrison ahead of him any day.

My point was we should be able to get some goals out of him, like last season,  if we play the right way to suit him. Failing to get another striker doesn't have to be the end of our chances this season.

RE: Please don't buy any more midfielders - bluebollox - 13-09-2021

(13-09-2021, 06:02 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: I should have been more specific ... I meant best only in as much as he has the most successful stats, i.e no-one has scored more goals in league one than him over the past 4 years.   I wouldn't for a minute suggest he is better than Toney or Taylor, or several other players. In fact I wouldn't even say he is the best of what we have got now - I'd play Harrison ahead of him any day.

My point was we should be able to get some goals out of him, like last season,  if we play the right way to suit him. Failing to get another striker doesn't have to be the end of our chances this season.

DB. Fair play. I was surprised Harrison didn't start saturday tbh.

RE: Please don't buy any more midfielders - BigSmokeBlue - 17-09-2021

So despite saying a few weeks ago we would not be signing and free agents, Cowley has back tracked and yes you’ve guessed it…another midfielder!

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/danny-cowley-provides-update-as-portsmouth-weigh-up-transfer-swoop-for-free-agent/

RE: Please don't buy any more midfielders - stayinupforever - 17-09-2021

WTF.
We could probably field a team of eleven midfielders now.

RE: Please don't buy any more midfielders - Hammie - 17-09-2021

It seems to me that they are quietly building up the U23 squad. Having bought Roko I'm expecting an U23 team up and running for next season, so we are buying up a squad as and when suitable players become available.
Business wise there is probably a separate budget that we won't hear about until the accounts are published.

RE: Please don't buy any more midfielders - DeepBlue - 17-09-2021

(17-09-2021, 05:45 AM)BigSmokeBlue Wrote: So despite saying a few weeks ago we would not be signing and free agents, Cowley has back tracked and yes you’ve guessed it…another midfielder!

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/danny-cowley-provides-update-as-portsmouth-weigh-up-transfer-swoop-for-free-agent/

He hasn't signed him ... he is training with us and if we like him he may sign as part of the youngsters with potential that Cowley is keen to grow outside of the regular first team squad. 

And he never said we wouldn't ever sign any free agents did he ?

RE: Please don't buy any more midfielders - bluetagagain - 17-09-2021

I also believe Jay Minigi who is still training with us, might be suing us for breach of contract

RE: Please don't buy any more midfielders - Northstander - 24-09-2021

(17-09-2021, 01:01 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: I also believe Jay Minigi who is still training with us, might be suing us for breach of contract

He was but it's all a misunderstanding and he's signed a 1 year deal with an option of 1 more.

RE: Please don't buy any more midfielders - foxleyblue - 24-09-2021

(24-09-2021, 04:59 PM)Northstander Wrote:
(17-09-2021, 01:01 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: I also believe Jay Minigi who is still training with us, might be suing us for breach of contract

He was but it's all a misunderstanding and he's signed a 1 year deal with an option of 1 more.

and DC's loaning him out to get up to the standard he want's