TrueBlueArmy Forums
In defence of Harrison - Printable Version

+- TrueBlueArmy Forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com)
+-- Forum: TBA forums (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Play Up Pompey (https://forum.truebluearmy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: In defence of Harrison (/showthread.php?tid=952)

In defence of Harrison - Lawrence - 01-09-2021

I'll probably get shot down for this but I really think the hatchet job of Ellis Harrison by some Pompey fans is a bit harsh. Don't get me wrong, there are better L1 strikers out there, but I don't think he's as bad as has been made out. Under Jackett, the guy, just like Marquis, was basically driven into the ground. He was mostly expected to win a hopeless ball humped in his vague direction take on three defenders and do something miraculous. Just like Marquis, we never used him in the right way.

I'd have liked a new striker but we've now got him for another six months at least. I hope the Cowleys won't ignore him and try to make him a more effective player because we don't have the option to ignore the player. Personally, I think he's another player destroyed by Jackettball, but I hope I am wrong and he gets a chance to show he's a decent player. He's certainly no worse than Harness who, quite frankly, struggles to cross a ball and score goals, and mostly runs around like a headless rabbit until he trips himself up.

RE: In defence of Harrison - slayer - 01-09-2021

As a crowd, in my many decades now, we have never really understood or been supportive of languid front men

RE: In defence of Harrison - mikey393 - 01-09-2021

(01-09-2021, 06:09 PM)Lawrence Wrote: I'll probably get shot down for this but I really think the hatchet job of Ellis Harrison by some Pompey fans is a bit harsh. Don't get me wrong, there are better L1 strikers out there, but I don't think he's as bad as has been made out. Under Jackett, the guy, just like Marquis, was basically driven into the ground. He was mostly expected to win a hopeless ball humped in his vague direction take on three defenders and do something miraculous. Just like Marquis, we never used him in the right way.

I'd have liked a new striker but we've now got him for another six months at least. I hope the Cowleys won't ignore him and try to make him a more effective player because we don't have the option to ignore the player. Personally, I think he's another player destroyed by Jackettball, but I hope I am wrong and he gets a chance to show he's a decent player. He's certainly no worse than Harness who, quite frankly, struggles to cross a ball and score goals, and mostly runs around like a headless rabbit until he trips himself up.

I totally agree with your comments. He holds the ball up well, is good in the air for flick ons which another forward or midfielder needs to put away. Basically, he needs support. Someone to play off him.

RE: In defence of Harrison - Hammie - 01-09-2021

statistically, we accrue more points when he plays than not.
Stop blaming an endless list of lower league strikers for not being able to succeed when played one up front.
Name one who has done that successfully (as in scoring goals) since we hit rock bottom, or in the last 50 years or so come to that.
Marquis gets 20+ has anyone done better?

RE: In defence of Harrison - Hermann's_no_hermit - 03-09-2021

I do generally agree that he needs a run in the team with better service than he had under Jackett. However I do worry about his finishing- he tends to scuff the ball, rarely gets any power in his shots. I hope that is just a sign of nervousness due to lack of opportunities rather than a permanent issue

RE: In defence of Harrison - DeepBlue - 03-09-2021

(03-09-2021, 12:10 PM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote: I do generally agree that he needs a run in the team with better service than he had under Jackett. However I do worry about his finishing- he tends to scuff the ball, rarely gets any power in his shots. I hope that is just a sign of nervousness due to lack of opportunities rather than a permanent issue

There is a compilation of his goals for Bristol Rovers on youtube in which he scores with both feet and headers from long and short range.

He isn't the best of finishers but he is a very good forward player and creates goals for others and is much better suited for the forward role in jackett's 4231 set up than Marquis ever could be, and I'm sure Jackett signed him for that as an upgrade on Hawkins, who never really got back to the level he reached in the first half of that  first season when we were top at Christmas before his injury.  A selfless centre forward like him or Hawkins with goalscoring widemen with pace like Lowe & Curtis was how jackett's system worked well.  Then suddenly we got the chance to sign Marquis as well and all the pre-season plans were ripped up. 

Marquis and Harrison together should work well, they complement each other's game and are the best of friends, but are they good enough to change the whole shape of the team to accommodate as a pair ? probably not.

RE: In defence of Harrison - exgaffer - 03-09-2021

(03-09-2021, 01:02 PM)DeepBlue Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 12:10 PM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote: I do generally agree that he needs a run in the team with better service than he had under Jackett. However I do worry about his finishing- he tends to scuff the ball, rarely gets any power in his shots. I hope that is just a sign of nervousness due to lack of opportunities rather than a permanent issue

There is a compilation of his goals for Bristol Rovers on youtube in which he scores with both feet and headers from long and short range.

He isn't the best of finishers but he is a very good forward player and creates goals for others and is much better suited for the forward role in jackett's 4231 set up than Marquis ever could be, and I'm sure Jackett signed him for that as an upgrade on Hawkins, who never really got back to the level he reached in the first half of that  first season when we were top at Christmas before his injury.  A selfless centre forward like him or Hawkins with goalscoring widemen with pace like Lowe & Curtis was how jackett's system worked well.  Then suddenly we got the chance to sign Marquis as well and all the pre-season plans were ripped up. 

Marquis and Harrison together should work well, they complement each other's game and are the best of friends, but are they good enough to change the whole shape of the team to accommodate as a pair ? probably not.

I agree Deep, ‘probably not’.  Smile

(03-09-2021, 04:14 PM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote:

The trouble with watching compilations of goals is they can make anyone look good. They don't show all the missed chances.

Of course, but all players miss chances. 

The relevance is that it shows he can finish, not that he always will. Something many claim he cannot do just because he hasn't done it much for us for whatever reason. Like, for instance, the way Jackett played him. 

If he can get fit as per the new regime Cowley is putting in place for him we could just see a different player in a few weeks time.

RE: In defence of Harrison - Pedalo_menders - 03-09-2021

Harrisons career is on a downward trajectory. Kenny even said as much when he signed him! He's a poor player who is constantly injured and doesn't know how to score, unless it's in his own net.

To me he represents what happens when you have owners who don't know what they're doing, a manager who has no idea of how to build a squad, and a CEOwith no testicles overseeing the whole process.

If either an owner or a CEO started picking the players to be signed rather than the manager then we would indeed have problems, but we haven't had that happen since Mandaric did one good and one bad with Prosinecki & Yoshi.

RE: In defence of Harrison - Pedalo_menders - 03-09-2021

They chose not to renew Whatmough's contract. Seems we do indeed have problems.

RE: In defence of Harrison - Hammie - 03-09-2021

renewal requires a pay rise. Knowing his medical history we chose not to gamble and someone else offered him a 3 year contract. If Pompey had given him the required big pay rise and a 3 year contract, what would the reaction have been online?

(03-09-2021, 07:49 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: They chose not to renew Whatmough's contract. Seems we do indeed have problems.

They offered him a contract. The decision to leave was Whatmough's.and as he said afterwards that decision was not based on money but the desire to try a new challenge and the added security for his family of a longer contract.